Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Opossum in the AC vents

Post Thanks / Like

Opossum in the AC vents

I have floor vents in my home and discovered a opossum in there this morning. Any ideas how to get it out? It's a baby and I am worried there may be more than one and where is momma.

Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, let us know. Do fire departments even do stuff like that? Maybe Animal Control? I'd call the City first and get a suggestion.

3. Likes IronErnin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be finding out how it got in there in the first place.
    They are usually nocturnal, so probably will leave when it is dark outside. Then block how it got in there.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeppers...Had one blown away by the cops last Monday night. Killed a bull snake (about a 3 footer) on the patio this morning. We are getting a lot of lizzards this year too.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    i have this visual in my mind of this possum seakin' into the house through the door with a little ole screw driver in it's hands or pocket, unscrewin' the vent and then goin' into the vent itself to chll out only to find out that some one had replaced the vent grill and screwed it back in place. how in the world can anything bigger than a gecko get through a vent grill to get inside a vent. until now i would've said that that was impossible!

anyway, the only thing left for you to do is to unhook the vent from where it's attached to the unit, find out which way the critter is pointed and push him out the other end with a cane pole, or compressed air or whatever you have. he ain't gonna cooperate and turn around for you and may even play dead for a while. good luck to you! if you ever figure out how the hell he got in there, please let us know. i can only think you must have an awful big leak in your system and have prob'ly been tryin' to cool down texas!.....mac

Quote Originally Posted by babyblue View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have floor vents in my home and discovered a opossum in there this morning. Any ideas how to get it out? It's a baby and I am worried there may be more than one and where is momma.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think he probably chewed a hole in the ventilation system under the house and got in that way. We will have to climb under there and see if we can find a hole and close it up. I just don't want to close it while he's in there in case he will just go out that way. My husband is thinking we should open the vent in the office with a trap set up to try and catch it. I just went and bought 2 traps.

Post Thanks / Like
    i'm not sure i know why he wants to trap 'em but.....so be it. yeow, take off that vent grill and he'll find his own exit.....just make sure that the first thing you do is put the grill back on befor you start chasin' that 'possum 'round or he'll go right back down the vent!....mac

Quote Originally Posted by babyblue View Post
    I think he probably chewed a hole in the ventilation system under the house and got in that way. We will have to climb under there and see if we can find a hole and close it up. I just don't want to close it while he's in there in case he will just go out that way. My husband is thinking we should open the vent in the office with a trap set up to try and catch it. I just went and bought 2 traps.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never tried it myself, but heard possum stew is excellent.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

10. Likes curmudgeon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    nay....they're gamier'n a coon and/or a bear..mac

Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    I've never tried it myself, but heard possum stew is excellent.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the animal is in your duct works then you have a big issue. Those are susposed to be sealed. Good luck.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast