Thread: Older Dog

Post Thanks / Like

Older Dog

I am posting this for a friend.

On Monday she took her 14 year old dog for a nail clipping. Tuesday she started walking stiff like her legs were sore and stiff. On Wednesday she was the same. Thursday when she put her on the leash she kept walking in circles, they couldn't even make it put for her walk which she loves. She took her back to the vet (of course she didn't show any symptoms there) he did a check up and checked her eyes for signs of a stroke and said she was fine. Today she still appears to be very off and now she is stumbling around and occasionally falling over. She looks like she is just learning to walk and she is kind of tilting her head to one side. Aside from losing her eyesight due to glaucoma she is a very healthy dog for her age and she still has her appetite.

Any suggestions? We have started searching the web and found some info on Vestibular Disease and now we are wondering if we should get a second opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    When my dog's life was nearing the end she quit eating, so I don't think your friends' dog is at the end of her life. I hope your friend's dog gets better. It is so sad to watch our pets get old. I don't see a second opinion making a difference if the dog does not show any symptoms. I'm sorry for your friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    My old dog Woof had the same symtoms when she was 13. It was tumor and she didn't recover. Sorry for what your friend is going through. They truly are our best friends and I still miss her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xzochye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am posting this for a friend.

On Monday she took her 14 year old dog for a nail clipping. Tuesday she started walking stiff like her legs were sore and stiff. On Wednesday she was the same. Thursday when she put her on the leash she kept walking in circles, they couldn't even make it put for her walk which she loves. She took her back to the vet (of course she didn't show any symptoms there) he did a check up and checked her eyes for signs of a stroke and said she was fine. Today she still appears to be very off and now she is stumbling around and occasionally falling over. She looks like she is just learning to walk and she is kind of tilting her head to one side. Aside from losing her eyesight due to glaucoma she is a very healthy dog for her age and she still has her appetite.

Any suggestions? We have started searching the web and found some info on Vestibular Disease and now we are wondering if we should get a second opinion.
    I can't help but keep going back to that nail clipping. It is a long shot, but check her paws VERY carefully but thoroughly, for any sign of infection or scabbing. A blind dog will get a lot of their balance input from the bottom of their feet. You don't mention the breed of dog, or it has any other medical history.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    She already checked the paws and had the vet examine them when she took her in.

She is doing a bit better today. Still walking like she is a bit unsure and holding her head to the side.

The only health problems she has has is the glaucoma which doesn't bother her anymore since she had 1 eye removed and a fake eye in the other socket.

She is a mutt that was found on the side of the road as a puppy. The best we can figure is that she's a chow/healer mix.
    VOTE Rainwater and Snyder!!

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm, Healers don't mix well with other breeds, but I can't see much problem with that, other than heat tolerance issues. I don't know much about what chow's are susceptible to. The main danger to Healers is sedentary lifestyle, as they are meant to be a working (cattle) dog. Now I have to wonder if maybe just the lack of nails (or extra sensitivity from the fresh cuts) might be the cause. Glad the dog at least appears to be doing better. 14 years is a good life for a dog, also enough time to get really really attached. We always hate to part ways.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.