Thread: Prepping antiques for repainting

Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like

Prepping antiques for repainting

I want to repaint a very ornate, hand-carved bed that is over 100 years old. A refinisher refused to strip it because of the complexity of the carving--beads, ribbons, garlands. I also suspect the original paint is lead-based. Since I probably won't use the side rails, I scrubbed and rinsed off the dust and re-painted part of one to see how it will look, and it's satisfactory. The problem is that the carved rosebuds on the head and footboard are more detailed than the carved ribbons on the side rails, and I've been unable to get all the decades of rough dust off with detergent and water.

Has anyone had experience with a project like this? I'm afraid to use an oily cleaner. Maybe a wood soap? Is that ok on a painted surface?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you repaint it then it will lose value.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xzochye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you repaint it then it will lose value.
    I'm sure you are right. I probably should just clean it and attach the head and foot board to a new frame. The side rails can't be used since they are topped with brocade upholsterey that is stuffed with horsehair. Seriously. Ugh. I dunno. The original paint is a light bluish gray, and it was overpainted with a thin varnish for an antiqued look (around 1912). So much of it has worn and flaked off, though, especially from the carved flowers that top the columns on the ends of the footboard, just from having been dusted and normal wear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe you should contact an antique dealer to see if it is worth anything and if so how much. Then decide from there. It sounds really cool, I love antiques.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was purchased by my great uncle and his wife on their honeymoon, and I inherited it from my dad. I wouldn't sell it anyway, but it's been in the garage for a year. I need to fish or cut bait.

6. LOL xzochye LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a kitchen table that was made in 1929. It was first my grandparents and then they gave it to my parents. My father refinished it so it's natural color is unknown. I really want to redo it because...well it's ugly! I just need to get the nerve up to try it. I am not a crafty or even skilled person so the challenge scares the daylights out of me!

Good luck!

8. Thanks Grammar Rules thanked this post