Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sod?

Post Thanks / Like

Sod?

Does anyone know of a place where I can buy sod? We decided not to pay the insane amount our homebuilders were telling us it would cost to sod our backyard, so I decided I'm going to sod it myself. It's got to be cheaper than them doing it, or at least I hope so...
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals... except the weasel."
    - Homer Simpson

Post Thanks / Like
    we get ours from that place way out on stan schleuter, wish i could remember their name right now but it escapes me at the moment. they're same boys that used to run the place, might've been called green thumb down here on the killeen/harker heights city line.....ctx west....it's not cheap but its real good st. augustine....but you might wanna wait till the highs drop down to 80.....mac

Quote Originally Posted by liessemsed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone know of a place where I can buy sod? We decided not to pay the insane amount our homebuilders were telling us it would cost to sod our backyard, so I decided I'm going to sod it myself. It's got to be cheaper than them doing it, or at least I hope so...

3. Likes cnjbond liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our neighbors bought theirs by the pallet full from The guys with green shoes. Don't know the price, but it is always cheaper than buying it a few pieces at a time, that's for sure. I think they are on Stan Schleuter, and I think they also have a place over here in Heights on 2410.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info boys! We are going to try and wait to sod until October, but having just a backyard of dirt for 2 months is going to be a challenge. I tried to convince my husband that the best way to avoid a backyard full of grass was to install an in-ground pool, but he wasn't into that idea.
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals... except the weasel."
    - Homer Simpson

6. LOL xzochye, cnjbond, siamcat, CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can start prepping the soil now so that when you lay the grass down you'll already have a step knocked out plus you can take care of the weeds too!
    The difference between try and triumph is just a little umph! ~ Marvin Philliips

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by liessemsed View Post
    Thanks for the info boys! We are going to try and wait to sod until October, but having just a backyard of dirt for 2 months is going to be a challenge. I tried to convince my husband that the best way to avoid a backyard full of grass was to install an in-ground pool, but he wasn't into that idea.
    I just hope your backyard doesn't have slope to it or in heavy rains you will lose your dirt.
    Our frontyard slopes down and we put grass seed down when we bought the house ( couldn't afford sod) . Everytime it rained we were out there with shovels shoveling the dirt back into our yard from the sidewalk and road.
    Somehow we eventually ended up with green stuff growing enough to hold it down.

9. LOL sojourner truth LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for this topic. We'll be buying a palet or two (Bermuda) for the front of the pool.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a very, very slight slope to the yard. Our front yard is much more sloped, but that gets sodded as part of our deal. Once we move in (hopefully right before school starts or shortly thereafter) we can start prepping the soil. But since the house is still being built, I can't do much with it. I'm really hoping that the green thumb that I had growing up in Wisconsin will come back once I try to use it down here in Texas.
    - Homer Simpson

Post Thanks / Like
    rick: just out of curiosity, where in town can you buy bermuda. i look for some every spring and can't find it......mac

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Thanks for this topic. We'll be buying a palet or two (Bermuda) for the front of the pool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't know. But there is no way I'm buying St Augustine. That'll take over our hay firld in no time. Can't have that. Plus, I hate St. Augustine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast