Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Popcorn ceilings...how I hate them!

Post Thanks / Like

Popcorn ceilings...how I hate them!

We are in the process of scraping the popcorn ceilings from the spare bedroom. We are getting ready to pain for the new grandbaby coming soon. I was told that if I use KILZ (sp) that any blemishes will not absorb the paint. Is this correct? We have a few spots where we went down to the sheet rock. We are dry scraping so there is still texture on the ceiling. We will be painting the ceiling when finished.

I have to admit this isn't as hard as I thought it would be. One room at a time and soon the popcorn will be gone, gone, GONE! Who ever came up with that idea?

FYI, when I say "we" are scraping the ceilings, I really mean I did the first pass, and my son is finishing it. ...and when I say I did the first pass, I mean I scraped one small spot to see how it would work.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to love jumping on my bed when I was little, hitting the ceiling and knocking that stuff off. Made a big mess though....lol

3. LOL CenTexDave, Texas Immigrant, ClickaNerd LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Easy way to remove popcorn is to use a spray bottle with water and dampen the area before scrapping. Comes of much easier and little dust.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

5. Thanks CenTexDave, Texas Immigrant thanked this post
    Likes circle_c, RockinRita liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by engteach64 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We are in the process of scraping the popcorn ceilings from the spare bedroom. We are getting ready to pain for the new grandbaby coming soon. I was told that if I use KILZ (sp) that any blemishes will not absorb the paint. Is this correct? We have a few spots where we went down to the sheet rock. We are dry scraping so there is still texture on the ceiling. We will be painting the ceiling when finished.

I have to admit this isn't as hard as I thought it would be. One room at a time and soon the popcorn will be gone, gone, GONE! Who ever came up with that idea?

FYI, when I say "we" are scraping the ceilings, I really mean I did the first pass, and my son is finishing it. ...and when I say I did the first pass, I mean I scraped one small spot to see how it would work.
    KILZ will not cover blemishes. KILZ will cover a spot that may bleed through the paint. It seals the area but accepts paint.

Dry scrapping is not a good idea. You are leaving a skim of texture on the ceiling and in time the paint will peel. Scarp to the paper on the dry wall. If you go deeper you will need to skim that area will drywall compound. Then sand the spot smooth and it is ready to paint. Not a difficult job but messy.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    KILZ will not cover blemishes. KILZ will cover a spot that may bleed through the paint. It seals the area but accepts paint.

Dry scrapping is not a good idea. You are leaving a skim of texture on the ceiling and in time the paint will peel. Scarp to the paper on the dry wall. If you go deeper you will need to skim that area will drywall compound. Then sand the spot smooth and it is ready to paint. Not a difficult job but messy.
    Agreed, the best remedy to remove the texture is to use the damp technique, are you going to resurface it? Usually your walls will have an orange peel or knock down technique, it makes a huge difference when the walls and ceiling texture don't match unless you have vaulted ceilings then it doesn't matter as much.

8. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It may be too late,.......for any suggestions?...It is easy to wet the popcorn and remove it , using a spray bottle or Garden Sprayer. The Kilz is just a primer...almost any Latex primer will work. You may use a KILZ Stain Killer if you have water or crayon or smoke stains?......I would suggest you fill any gouges, dings and dents will spackle...light sand and spot prime the filled area.....If you use the WET process, you may use a wide 6 or 8 inch Mud Knife to scrape.

10. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
    Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know what idiot invented that stuff, but he should have been shot!!
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

12. Likes cnjbond, engteach64, joyohjoy liked this post
    LOL Night Owl, cnjbond LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, my son totally scraped the ceiling. It looks great. It looks textured. The paint I have has primer in it, it is Valspar. So from what I understand, we should sand the ceiling next? There are no blemishes or flaws in the ceiling.

Dave, I agree. Popcorn ceilings were the worst invention ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by engteach64 View Post
    Well, my son totally scraped the ceiling. It looks great. It looks textured. The paint I have has primer in it, it is Valspar. So from what I understand, we should sand the ceiling next? There are no blemishes or flaws in the ceiling.

Dave, I agree. Popcorn ceilings were the worst invention ever.
    Yeah you'll want to sand it not just to remove blemishes but to match the existing texture of the walls. It's better to prime it first and then paint it. The half paint half primers do not give you the best primer or paint. Lowes will take back anything if you got it there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    I don't know what idiot invented that stuff, but he should have been shot!!
    Especially in bathrooms that kids use, half the stuff ends up in the tub after they shower.
    We scraped ours of one bathroom and the people redoing it fixed whatever we messed up.

Unfortunately it's still in the rest of the house, it's a work in progress.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast