Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dirt??

Post Thanks / Like

Dirt??

My yard is eroding, and the neighbor's tree's roots are coming up in my yard. I need to put dirt down to level out the yard again. Does anyone know where I can get lots of dirt to spread in my yard?

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of places to get it in the newspaper. I'll ask my neighbor when he gets home...He just had a whole dumptruck full of it dropped off last weekend. It really surprised me that it didn't cover more than it did. Be careful what quality dirt you get too. Cheaper ain't always better. Good dark, loamy dirt is the best. Still, I don't know if that will fix your root problem. We have the same thing going on in our front and back yards. If you chop the roots when they are small it won't harm the tree too much. The bigger they get, the harder they are to get rid of. I just use my chainsaw and cut out a section. That stops it. Of course, if it kills your neigbors tree (which I doubt) you may have a very angry neighbor. The roots do this because as they grow, they hit the caleechee layer and then go sideways instead of down in order to grow in softer soil.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Wise to listen to ST. I ordered a load once from the least expensive I could find. Told them I wouldn't be home, just dump it on the side yard. Had wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much clay in it. I was stuck with it. It did the job, but with all the clay was a real pain to work with.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    lots of texas trees spread....live oak....hackberry and the like. just take out one of the roots......the most egregious one this year and do the same thing again next year. the 2 trees i mentioned don't have a tap root like a pecan does so you have to go at it piece meal. the only problem is that if you do this, you have to 'member that when it comes time for that tree to fall, it's gonna fall your way......mac

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lots of places to get it in the newspaper. I'll ask my neighbor when he gets home...He just had a whole dumptruck full of it dropped off last weekend. It really surprised me that it didn't cover more than it did. Be careful what quality dirt you get too. Cheaper ain't always better. Good dark, loamy dirt is the best. Still, I don't know if that will fix your root problem. We have the same thing going on in our front and back yards. If you chop the roots when they are small it won't harm the tree too much. The bigger they get, the harder they are to get rid of. I just use my chainsaw and cut out a section. That stops it. Of course, if it kills your neigbors tree (which I doubt) you may have a very angry neighbor. The roots do this because as they grow, they hit the caleechee layer and then go sideways instead of down in order to grow in softer soil.

Post Thanks / Like
    when i first moved here in hymesa there wasn't anybody in sight....but the whole area had been scraped and there were huge piles of top soil all over the place. it may not have been legal but i was able to get a yard or two every night till i had all i wanted. might wanna drive by the nearest new development and ask'em if you can help yourself to a yard or two. it'll be good top soil and won't cost you anything 'sept a sore back and maybe new bands for the pickemup.......mac (folks: don't ever haul dirt or sand in an auto trans.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mac, I was wondering about that. We have a development going in down the street. I figure they'd save money by allowing me to haul dirt away. ST, as to using the right soil, thanks. In Iowa we had a root problem too. We had giant trees out front with roots above the ground. We bought this pink fertilizer/grass/filler stuff, and spread it out over the roots. It looked funny for a while, but after a few weeks it was the most beautiful and lush yard again, and no roots in sight.

Thanks everyone, and I will wait for your info ST.

Post Thanks / Like
    Top soil that is scraped into piles is usually sold to be used for yards later. It would be best to check to see if it is okay to remove. Spoils would be materials not wanted but top soil is considered sellable. Trespassing onto private property to take soil or any other materials is theft, plain and simple.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh oh, Mac going to jail.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

9. LOL JoAnn Purser LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eventually the "perp" tells someone of his crime.

11. LOL CenTexDave, Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's the statute of limitations on stealing dirt?

13. LOL CenTexDave, JoAnn Purser, cnjbond, Night Owl LOL'd at this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast