Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Autism epidemic

Post Thanks / Like

Autism epidemic

If 1 in 100 U.S. children have autism (not to mention the prevalence of so-called ADD, ADHD, ODD, etc), why is there not a national emergency to find out what is causing all this?

Post Thanks / Like
    There are many factors at play here. One is that we are now able to diagnose such psycho-medical problems where before we just wrote them off as behavioral issues. Two, why take time to work with a child's behavioral issues when you can get him a Doc. to give you a prescription and then pop a pill in his/her mouth. Three, it provides employment and money for a plethora of "experts" in a variety of disciplines.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

3. Likes prideworks, Mestral, siamcat liked this post
    Saddened by Texas Immigrant, lan_carter is saddened by this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sadly, you are right on target. Let your child run wild and don't train them properly, then medicate 'em when it gets to be enough of a problem ...

5. Likes Mestral liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And thus begins the big Zombie alert I saw posted all over Facebook yesterday.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    agreed...usually OVERmedicated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I used to think that. I've said the same exact things you all are saying. Until my daughter came along. I've talked about her behaviors in another thread, so I'm not going to rehash it all again. I'm just saying, sometimes a parent DOES do all they can. Sometimes there IS something going on emotionally/psychologically that we can't explain. My 9 year old daughter has not experienced any great tragedies or been abused in any way. She's been diagnosed with PDD-NOS. We're doing all we can, she is still held responsible for her choices and behavior, but this gives us a few more tools to help her. Here's a link if you want more info.
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/pdd-nos
    Knowledge isn't power. Applied knowledge is power. -borrowed quote

9. Thanks corgifan, FieryPrincess, lan_carter thanked this post
    Likes xzochye, corgifan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Immigrant View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ... she is still held responsible for her choices and behavior, but this gives us a few more tools to help her...
    And THAT makes all the difference.

Parents/care givers should manage behavior, with the help of meds where necessary. They should not use meds as a substitute for good parenting/care giving.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

11. Thanks Night Owl, Texas Immigrant thanked this post
    Likes CenTexDave, FieryPrincess liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We don't have an Autism epidemic. We have a bad parenting epidemic.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

13. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    LOL corgifan LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We don't have an Autism epidemic. We have a bad parenting epidemic.
    I'm going to agree and disagree. We certainly do have a bad parenting epidemic. I wish there was some way to enforce a parenting license, and you have to earn it before you can raise children. But having worked with children with autism and having two close friends who have autistic children, I can say that they are excellent parents out there who have quite a lot to contend with when their child has autism.
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals... except the weasel."
    - Homer Simpson

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, walk around wal-mart for about an hour and you will see how polluted the gene pool is as well. I'm sure this dosent help either.

16. Likes Night Owl liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast