Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! A/C lines clogged

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

HELP!! A/C lines clogged

Our A/C lines are clogged and we don't really want to have to pay a service fee to get them unclogged. Anyone have any ideas on what we can do?

Thanks!
    Knowledge isn't power. Applied knowledge is power. -borrowed quote

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Immigrant View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our A/C lines are clogged and we don't really want to have to pay a service fee to get them unclogged. Anyone have any ideas on what we can do?

Thanks!
    Are you talking about the drainage pipe?
    VOTE Rainwater and Snyder!!

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man I have had lots of experience with this!!! First get a long skinny stick ( I used an old fishing pole) and would stick it in the drainage pipe on the outside and it would pull a lot of gunk out. I did have to repeat it several times. Then pour bleach down the drainage pipe from the inside. If this doesn't work get a thin hollow tube and stick it in the end of a wet vac and suck the gunk out from the outside.

I had to do this once or twice every summer.
    VOTE Rainwater and Snyder!!

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

5. Thanks Texas Immigrant thanked this post
    Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Use a shop vac. Regular maintenance using a shop vac to suck the algae buildup from outside the house every 3 to 4 months will help keep this from happening. The AC guys have chlorine tabs that you can put inside the water sump drainage pipes that will kill the algae over extended periods of time. I usually either shop vac it clean from the outside, or use the blower function from inside to blow it out. What comes out is pretty gross, but it's better than trying to clean up all the water all over the inside of the house.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

7. Thanks Texas Immigrant thanked this post
    Likes CenTexDave, JoAnn Purser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both what xzochye and ST said works. But be careful if you use the stick method that you aren't pushing the blockage further back inside. Critters love to build nests in there during the winter when the condensation does not form and drain.
    ST references sump drainage. Not all systems have that.
    An air compressor will blow it out from the inside pipes. Just loosen the pipe where it comes from the drain pan, let the pressure build up in the compressor to about 80psi and fire away!!!
    And chlorine or bleach dumped down that drain pipe will help.
    Once all this is done and it is discharging, give a good yank on the end of the drain pipe (outside). Sometimes they get shoved in a bit from hitting it with a lawnmower, etc.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

9. Thanks Texas Immigrant thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you all, I don't know if this matters or not, but they are heat pump/AC units. We're borrowing an air compressor from a friend so we'll try that first. I will definitely do the bleach/water thing. We'll just have to remember to do that when we change the filters.

11. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, doesn't matter at all. Same type of setup outside.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

13. Thanks Texas Immigrant thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nope. We have a heat pump and ours clogged the second year we lived here. I used an air compressor to blow it out and haven't had a problem since. My guess is the loose insulation caused it to clog. Luckily, we have an additional drain on our patio ceiling, so if it clogs, that drain leaks on my wife where she sits and smokes...lol

I hope you get it unclogged.

15. Thanks Texas Immigrant thanked this post
    LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not everyone has their AC/furnace upstairs Rick. lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast