Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Good roofing contractor?

Post Thanks / Like

Good roofing contractor?

This is definitely not a DIY question, but I'm not sure where else to post this. Husband and I own a somewhat oldish house, built in the early 60's, when teeny-tiny windows were the "make sense" feature. The house is dark, and I want to let light in. Because of the neighborhood, which has changed in the 30 years we've been living here, I don't want to replace existing windows with larger windows. I love the sky-lights in my Mom's house, lots of light and lots of privacy and want to get some installed.

I have no idea how to go about finding a truly qualified / reliable / won't gouge roofer who will install two sky-lights when I replace the ten-year old roof. I would like to get this done this summer. Anyone know of anyone that I could contact for a "get started" estimate?

Post Thanks / Like
    We had ours done, including a ridge vent (no easy task) with excellent results by Lange Roofing, 1538 Stan Schlueter Loop, (254) 554-7665.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure they can install the skylights when they do the roof. Call them, they know what they are doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    are you really talkin' 'bout sky lights......or are you talkin' 'bout these deals (sun tunnels)that bring light from the roof, through the attic, through the ceiling into the living area?....mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Skylights give a roof opportunity to leak in time.

You may want to rethink the newer, larger windows first.

With new windows you can have better insulation and easier operating models for opening and cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like
    that's true, imagine. what jo ann is saying there is absolutely fact. those sky lights or light tunnels are gona require flashing and tons of shingle nails....you'll have to remove some shingles and loosen others up. puttin' on sky lights or light tunnels is best left for doin' when you're shinglin' the roof. be patient, we're due for a hail storm any day now......mac

Quote Originally Posted by JoAnn Purser View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Skylights give a roof opportunity to leak in time.

You may want to rethink the newer, larger windows first.

With new windows you can have better insulation and easier operating models for opening and cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like
    hell, i didn't even mention those big ole boys walkin' and scootin' all over the place up there plus the shingles are prob'ly pretty dried out and just waitin' to crack anyway. BEWARE!......mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Good thing the poster stated they were considering doing this at the time they replace the roof.
    The difference between try and triumph is just a little umph! ~ Marvin Philliips

Post Thanks / Like
    yeow....i saw that but it also said the roof was only 10 years old? who replaces a 10 year old roof?.....mac

Quote Originally Posted by cnjbond View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good thing the poster stated they were considering doing this at the time they replace the roof.

Post Thanks / Like
    Trust me mac, if you bought cheap ten years ago you will need to replace that roof.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

11. Likes JoAnn Purser, CenTexDave liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast