Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Summer Gardening Question

Post Thanks / Like

Summer Gardening Question

We started our garden early this spring. So far we've enjoyed 3 clippings of great spinach, amazing radishes, carrots, and cilantro, and we're now getting really yummy green beans. Still growing are the green & yellow onions, grape, roma, & big boy tomatoes, corn, and chile de arbol peppers. So, now that it's getting hot, spinach is going to seed and a 2nd planting of carrots will probably not do well in the heat, and we're looking for a couple of replacements.

What do you gardeners have luck with growing in our Texas heat? We're thinking jalapenos, garlic, and maybe some pinto beans? Any suggestions/advice?

"It's on like bing bong!!!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Okra
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

3. Thanks stormy thanked this post
    Likes JoAnn Purser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We tried gardening when we first moved here, but didn't realize how hard it would be in this heat. Everything died except the jalapenos. I guess they were hotter.

5. Thanks stormy thanked this post
    Likes stormy liked this post
    LOL Night Owl, stormy LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, we've bought some jalapeno & tomatillo plants (everything else we've grown from seeds), so we'll see how they do!

"It's on like bing bong!!!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Grow from seeds? How do you do that? I'm too impatient, so I buy plants. I figure if I'm going to kill something it should have a head start on me.

8. LOL Night Owl, CenTexDave, stormy, IronErnin LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    my bush beans came on 'bout 2 weeks ago and are really good this year.....really good. peas will be ready in a couple of days. i don't plant anything that needs summer time.........i only have early summer and early winter harvests......actually, my broccoli will hold till way into winter.....mac

Post Thanks / Like
    We planted Thai Basil, zucchini and tomatoes. The rabbits loved the zucchini but left the basil alone. It is still doing well in the heat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Basil is one tough little plant.

Post Thanks / Like
    We tried something new this year. We bought one of the garden tarps at Home Depot that is supposed to block some of the UV rays but allow light and rain to go through. The plants that are under it look beautiful. We do have a smaller garden so it covers most of it but I will probably get another one next year to cover a larger space. We planted tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, and squash. My squash would bloom but not produce anything and my cucumbers were on the edge of the tarp. We have had several wither on the vine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by babyblue View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We tried something new this year. We bought one of the garden tarps at Home Depot that is supposed to block some of the UV rays but allow light and rain to go through. The plants that are under it look beautiful. We do have a smaller garden so it covers most of it but I will probably get another one next year to cover a larger space. We planted tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, and squash. My squash would bloom but not produce anything and my cucumbers were on the edge of the tarp. We have had several wither on the vine.
    How is the tarp mounted?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast