Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Summer Gardening Question

Post Thanks / Like
    One possible for the squash blooming but not fruiting is the lack of bees which has resulted from last year's drought. You can overcome that by using a cotton swab and moving the pollen from the male blossom (the one without the baby squash and which you can then harvest to fry up for breakfast) to the female blossom (the one with the baby squash). Do this early in the morning since the blossoms wilt quickly.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    My husband built a stand to mount the tarp.

Thanks for the information about the squash. I will try that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by babyblue View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We tried something new this year. We bought one of the garden tarps at Home Depot that is supposed to block some of the UV rays but allow light and rain to go through. The plants that are under it look beautiful. We do have a smaller garden so it covers most of it but I will probably get another one next year to cover a larger space. We planted tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, and squash. My squash would bloom but not produce anything and my cucumbers were on the edge of the tarp. We have had several wither on the vine.
    Thanks for this post. I wouldn't have thought to look for something like this. I tied a couple of old sheets to some wooden posts I stuck in the ground around my tomato bed, and that looks like nothing on earth. I'm sure the neighbors feels sorry for the lady with the tacky laundry. I'll go looking for one of these tarps.

My tomatoes are looking pretty puny. I think I may have worked too much organic material in the soil this spring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mini bell peppers are doing amazingly well in pots, but we had to put a cover over the tomato trellises. The heat is killing them and we just planted them today! Everything else is green and lovely. Rain made our yard look like a golf course!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2