Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vomitting Dog

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Vomitting Dog

For the past two weeks, our dog has been vomitting up everything he eats. EVERYTHING! Wife took him to the vet on Ft. Hood and he said he had inflamed intestines. He gave him a shot to control the vomitting (didn't help) and 500mg Cephalexin and 500 mg Metrinidazone to put into rice and cottage cheese. He can't hold the food down long enough to absorb the meds. He hasn't been able to hold anything down. I don't know how he has survived this without starving to death.

Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    My dog did the same thing for a few weeks, and we found out her kidneys had failed. First, the appetite stops, even when you put the stuff they love in front of them, then they start throwing up. (when they turn their nose up at real bacon, you know somethings wrong). When we took her to the vet, the first thing he said was "her kidneys are gone". When I asked how he knew, he said he could smell it on her breath. Evidently, they give off a distinctive odor when the kidneys go. We had to put our baby down 2 days later. I sure hope that isn't the case with your dog Rick, and I hope I'm wrong, but it sure sounds familiar. I'd ask a competent vet. We took our dog to Aztec, and he was spot on in his diagnosis. Broke my heart.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

3. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure you already know about this but make sure your not feeding him him the dog food that has been recalled. Can't think of the name right now.
    VOTE Rainwater and Snyder!!

BOYCOTT
    - Wells Laundry *Extraco Bank *Towne Services Moving and Storage *Purser Construction *Toyota of Killeen Patriot Buick *Bigham Kliewer Chapman & Watts Insurance Agency

Post Thanks / Like
    Vomiting that is hard to control warrants further investigation. Pancreatitis would be on my short list as well as some others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Happened to cat I had. Same symptoms, same sad ending.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks all,

She has another appointment for him today.

8. Thanks sojourner truth thanked this post
    Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The vet said that it may be the pancreas and to not feed him for two days and gave her some shots to give him. Said an MRI could show something, but I am guessing that that is probably costly.

Might be time for another opinion. Poor dog has to be so hungry. She said he lost six pounds in a week.

10. Saddened by xzochye, Night Owl, siamcat is saddened by this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    She started feeding him small portions of chicken and rice last night and he kept that down. She also gives him some pedialyte water to drink.

Crossing fingers that he is getting some nutrition.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK...Good news finally. You keep your fingers crossed...I'll pray. Somewhere in between we'll have the bases covered.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

13. Likes Night Owl, Rick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    are the eye whites yellow?.....mac

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast