Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Laying Tile

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO, smaller areas are actually harder - more cuts, fewer full tiles.
    Getting the first tile in the right spot makes all the difference. Everything will go from that first tile. Proper layout is crucial. Don't want a sliver of a tile on one wall, with a full tile on the opposite wall - split the difference.
    It is a lot of work.

2. Thanks engteach64 thanked this post
    Likes circle_c liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, it is looking like I will be hiring it out. If anyone has someone they can recommend I would apprecaiate it. We will probably take the carpet out ourselves, and paint the walls, then have it done, so I need to get some quotes. Thanks again everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Our first tile job was the patio of our old house. We had primarily white tiles and got some reddish tiles that matched our house's brick to add some contrast with diamond shapes. It was challenging, but everyone who saw it thought it set the tone for the patio. A little creativity went a long way.

We watched a demo at Home Depot, then went to work. The key was identifying the center of the patio and starting there. That way, all of the edge pieces that had to be cut were the same size. You have to do that so that it looks right.

Cutting tiles is the difficult part. Scoring them and breaking them is easy and I can let you use my cutter. But that is only good for straight cuts. If you need to make more precise and curved cuts, you need a tile cutter that allows that. I am not sure if you can rent one, or even borrow one.

Another difficulty is mixing the adhesive. It is a fine concrete and you can only mix what you can work with as it will set in the bucket and be hard to work with.

Then there's the grout. It gets all over the tiles and you have to use muriatic acid to remove the haze. That was a lot of work as well.

When we do our current patio, I am paying someone to do it.

5. Thanks sojourner truth thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.ddresurfacing.com/

They did our bathroom and worked with us.

We told them what we would do (rip out the vinyl, buy the tile, cabinets, paint, etc) and they did the other things for a reasonable price. They did good work and worked clean.

I would recommend them and they have no complaints on BBB since they opened in 2000.

http://www.bbb.org/central-texas/bus...mpner-tx-50039

I know it says kitchen and bathrooms, but they tile too.

7. Thanks engteach64 thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wrote, they called, they said they don't do jobs like mine. Thanks anyhow. Oh, they were very nice about it though, and gave me the name of someone else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by engteach64 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wrote, they called, they said they don't do jobs like mine. Thanks anyhow. Oh, they were very nice about it though, and gave me the name of someone else.
    You're welcome. They tiled my bathroom so maybe they just do it in kitchens and bathrooms, but I'm sure the company they recommended will be good.
    You can always check them out on the BBB website.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2