Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Snakes in the house...

Post Thanks / Like

Snakes in the house...

Not sure if I should post this in Lawn and Gardening or DIY Home stuff, considering the outdoors is bringing itself into my house!

We have found 2 baby snakes in two days in my house. We usually find one baby snake in the house per year, which is enough to make me want to move back to the homeland (where I've seen a snake outdoors all of twice in my 28 years there). Any suggestions to what I can do to get rid of the snakes? We found one slithering out between the floor and floorboards by the heating/AC closet and one in the laundry room. Help!
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals... except the weasel."
    - Homer Simpson

Post Thanks / Like
    Not finding a food source and/or water, the will either leave on their own or die.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Get yourself a dog. Mine love to bring me snakes from the outside. Usually minus the head though.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves. - Edward R. Murrow

4. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    They have to be getting in somewhere. I'd check that first. The other thing is that when you see babies, momma isn't usually too far off. We get small garter snakes and baby black snakes sometimes if the creek behind us gets too high. Got me a good 6 footer last year in the front yard, When i cut his head off, about a half dozen baby birds were inside. They climb trees and get the baby birds out of the nest.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    We get one or two baby snakes in the pool every summer. Once we start swimming regularly we don't see them anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    We get them a LOT in the summer. Word to new pool owners: Check the entire pool and the skimmer first EVERY time you go swimming. They all wind up in the same condition at our place.

8. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another excellent deterrent is to keep your grass short. They don't like to be exposed and become prey to hawk and owls. As to a dog being effective, that's true if the dog is a large breed. My daughter almost lost her Pom to a Rattlesnake last year... were it not for several hundred $ in vet. bills she would have been a goner. BTW: While some snakes do prey on birds, they are not near the threat to birds as are other birds, e.g. Bluejays, and feral cats. Eighty percent or more of the snakes you may meet are non-venomous. All of snakes prefer to avoid human contact. About the only specie that is known to attack humans entering their territory is the Cottonmouth... rarely found in West Bell County (most reported sightings are Blotched Water Snakes mistaken for Cottonmouths).
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Granular chlorine spread as a barrier keeps them away. Make about a 6" wide barrier. Of course rain will wash it away, so reapply.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

11. Thanks Dagobert II thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Cottonmouth... rarely found in West Bell County".
    I guess we beat the odds hands down then - our VFW has had two of them inside. They didn't survive for long though.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a number of commercial snake chaser type products on the market. I would go to your favorite home improvement, hardware, or lumber store and ask them. I would start with your nearest Ace Hardware. Also just about any pest control service would be helpful. They encounter snakes in crawl spaces all the time.
    Ah Billy, Billy, Billy, what've ye unleashed upon mankind?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast