Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Snakes in the house...

Post Thanks / Like
    Tractor Supply.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found a snake in house some years back. I wanted to know what I was dealing with so I took out to CTC to one of the biology teachers. He told me that it was a line snake that fed on soft insects like ants or termites. So I called bug inspector, no termites, thank goodness, but have always plenty of ants to go around

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I found a snake in house some years back. I wanted to know what I was dealing with so I took out to CTC to one of the biology teachers. He told me that it was a line snake that fed on soft insects like ants or termites. So I called bug inspector, no termites, thank goodness, but have always plenty of ants to go around
    I need a couple of those snakes in my backyard!!!
    The difference between try and triumph is just a little umph! ~ Marvin Philliips

4. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ludwig: for 'bout the first 10 years or so we had quite a few cottonmouths out here in hymesa. had 2 of 'em tryin' to climb the south wall one night.....never ever saw anything like that before.

liessems: best way or one way to get rid of yard snakes is to put a couple of cats or pet 'cooons out there for a year or so.......also, better check your ash box out. one morning we found an earth snake in the front room and couldn't figure out to save my soul how they got in. checked the door to the ash vent later on that afternoon for some reason or 'nother and dammed if there weren't a half dozen or so earth snakes in there......mac

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Another excellent deterrent is to keep your grass short. They don't like to be exposed and become prey to hawk and owls. As to a dog being effective, that's true if the dog is a large breed. My daughter almost lost her Pom to a Rattlesnake last year... were it not for several hundred $ in vet. bills she would have been a goner. BTW: While some snakes do prey on birds, they are not near the threat to birds as are other birds, e.g. Bluejays, and feral cats. Eighty percent or more of the snakes you may meet are non-venomous. All of snakes prefer to avoid human contact. About the only specie that is known to attack humans entering their territory is the Cottonmouth... rarely found in West Bell County (most reported sightings are Blotched Water Snakes mistaken for Cottonmouths).
    Last edited by mac; June 1st, 2013 at 8:01 PM.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

6. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    An Earth Snake! Oh my! That is one dangerous critter.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    well.....my wife happens to be a kolnerin....and anything that slides on it's belly is dangerous to her.....mac

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    An Earth Snake! Oh my! That is one dangerous critter.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

9. Likes HistoryTeacher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    well.....my wife happens to be a kolnerin....and anything that slides on it's belly is dangerous to her.....mac
    I guess you're in trouble then.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

11. LOL cnjbond, Imagine LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CenTexDave View Post
    Granular chlorine spread as a barrier keeps them away. Make about a 6" wide barrier. Of course rain will wash it away, so reapply.
    Are you talking about the kind you use in pools? Does it have a negative effect on grass?
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, that's the stuff. Granular HTH works good. Place it at the edge of your property line. I don't know about the grass - I used it where there was always weeds and just plain dirt. Of course when it rains the stuff washes away so you'll have to reapply.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

14. Thanks Mestral thanked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2