Thread: Light Switch

Post Thanks / Like

Light Switch

One or both of my kitchen light switches quit working out of the blue Thursday. The light has 2 switches that can control it. Both have always worked regardless of the position that the other one is in. Now switch A will only work if switch B is in a certain position and vice versa. So I guess my question is how do I fix it? Is it one (or both) of the switches or do I need to call someone in to fix it? If it is the switch is there a way to find out which one or should I just replace both of them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like 3 way switches.
    If you look closely, they won't have "ON/OFF" on them.
    Each will have 3 wires going to them, as opposed to normal switches that have 2.
    Not difficult to replace, but you have to get the wiring right. And, they are more expensive than normal light switches.
    Now, it may still be the light. Is it fluorescent?
    It may be the ballast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds like 3 way switches.
    If you look closely, they won't have "ON/OFF" on them.
    Each will have 3 wires going to them, as opposed to normal switches that have 2.
    Not difficult to replace, but you have to get the wiring right. And, they are more expensive than normal light switches.
    Now, it may still be the light. Is it fluorescent?
    It may be the ballast.
    It is a fluorescent light but I am pretty sure that isn't the problem. When the light is on it works fine, no flickering dimming or anything.

I did price the light switches at Lowes yesterday and I have watched several videos on how to change them and I am confident I can do that. I installed a programable thermostat so I assume this shouldn't be much more complicated.
    Last edited by xzochye; March 10th, 2012 at 8:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a fluorescent light that just up and quit - it was the ballast. So, just because it doesn't flicker doesn't mean it isn't that. ( wow, 3 negatives in that sentence)
    I would figure out a way to SAFELY attach an incandescent light in place of the fluorescent fixture to make sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kantwin View Post
    I had a fluorescent light that just up and quit - it was the ballast. So, just because it doesn't flicker doesn't mean it isn't that. ( wow, 3 negatives in that sentence)
    I would figure out a way to SAFELY attach an incandescent light in place of the fluorescent fixture to make sure.
    Now that is not a DIY project for me!! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    I meant temporarily, just to see if the light switches are good, or if it's the ballast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Better make sure you trip the breaker in the garage for that switch before you play with the wires or you'll get a nasty surprise.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

8. Likes xzochye liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    Better make sure you trip the breaker in the garage for that switch before you play with the wires or you'll get a nasty surprise.
    I am scared of electricity so the whole house will probably be turned off! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth
    I did say SAFELY.

11. LOL xzochye LOL'd at this post