Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Grassy Yard

Post Thanks / Like

Grassy Yard

What can I do to make my yard beautiful? I hate the grass in Texas, and after the drought last year I have more weed things growing in my yard than grass. Is weed and feed enough, or should I do something more drastic to beautify my yard? Advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    weed and feed.....and quickly!....mac

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a lot of folks with that problem right now. Most of your large bare, dead spots are from white grubs eating all of the grass roots and killing the grass. The only thing they don't eat is weed roots. Once they get your lawn, it's gone for good unless you resod or reseed. In order to keep a lawn from getting destroyed every year, you must apply grub bait at least 4 times a year. Don't believe the "one feeding kills them all" baloney. The really effective insecticides have all been taken off the market because they had organophosphates in them, and EPA banned them. The newer products are almost useless unless you apply them 4 to 6 times a year. I applied 4 times last year, and lost a few spots anyhow. This year I applied 6 times, and it's looking better. Weed and feeds have never worked for me very well. Plus, they harm the trees if they leach into the ground water and can get your shrubs as well. I hate to say this, but I think the only way to fix your yard is to spray the weeds, kill them off, and then resod or reseed. That will not be cheap. Lawn care is one of the things when "an ounce of prevention" is a good idea. A good, healthy, thick St. Augustine lawn will keep weeds out naturally, as long as the grubs don't get it.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

4. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ST: diata******** earth and milk spores are awful good for these white grubs.....absolutely destroys them and stays effective for a good ten years......mac

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are a lot of folks with that problem right now. Most of your large bare, dead spots are from white grubs eating all of the grass roots and killing the grass. The only thing they don't eat is weed roots. Once they get your lawn, it's gone for good unless you resod or reseed. In order to keep a lawn from getting destroyed every year, you must apply grub bait at least 4 times a year. Don't believe the "one feeding kills them all" baloney. The really effective insecticides have all been taken off the market because they had organophosphates in them, and EPA banned them. The newer products are almost useless unless you apply them 4 to 6 times a year. I applied 4 times last year, and lost a few spots anyhow. This year I applied 6 times, and it's looking better. Weed and feeds have never worked for me very well. Plus, they harm the trees if they leach into the ground water and can get your shrubs as well. I hate to say this, but I think the only way to fix your yard is to spray the weeds, kill them off, and then resod or reseed. That will not be cheap. Lawn care is one of the things when "an ounce of prevention" is a good idea. A good, healthy, thick St. Augustine lawn will keep weeds out naturally, as long as the grubs don't get it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you let me in on the formula mix. Sounds like you have had experience. The used to have an insecticide called Chlordane that would kill every bug in your grass for 5 years straight. Of course, it was banned after a while. Probably because it worked. Diazanon, which had marginal effects at best, was alo banned. The stuff on the market now is almost useless unless you put on 10 times as much as directions say. Diatamaceous earth and milk spores sounds wierd, but if it works it will be worth it. The only problem would be where to get it.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    This is Texas. If God wanted you to have a beautiful lawn he'd make it rain.
    Enjoy the extended break from weekend grass cutting, trimming, etc.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    For those looking for a source of Milky Spore, the Whatever Works catalog is offering a 10oz can for 49.99 or two of them for 47.99 each. I've never used anything like this, so $50 for a 10oz can doesn't sound like a great deal. But, if you want it or need it...
    It appears on pg 27 of the current catalog. The company can be reached at 1 800 499 6757; on the web @ www,whateverworks.com
    Ah Billy, Billy, Billy, what've ye unleashed upon mankind?

9. Thanks sojourner truth thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    nematodes (misspelled, I'm sure). Those little critters love grubs and fire ants.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, I've never tried it, but a gentleman that I met once recommends using Amway's Liquid Organic Cleaner (LOC) in 50/50 mix with water through a garden sprayer twice a year to maintain a lush green ant and flea free lawn.
    Ah Billy, Billy, Billy, what've ye unleashed upon mankind?

Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a lawn-related question relating to my lawn mower which runs on gas which requires a gas can which needs a cap.

Lost the darned cap, and I couldn't find a replacement one at the auto store or HEB, so I splurged on a new can (plastic, of course) at the Walmart. Who designed this thing? Ecoterrorists? It has a handle only on the top, where my old one has one on the back side as well for stability. Then there's the spout, which is some crappy plastic combo of pointy gear teeth and child-proof tabs that have to be twisted until they interlock, at which point I attempt to simultaneously lift the five-gallon can with one hand and hold the spout in "position" with the other, tip the can, and fill the mower, pouring a cup or two onto the driveway or my foot.

Does anyone know where I can get a cap for my simple, old gas can?
    Y'ALL MEANS ALL.

13. LOL cnjbond LOL'd at this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast