Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Grassy Yard

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammar Rules View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a lawn-related question relating to my lawn mower which runs on gas which requires a gas can which needs a cap.

Lost the darned cap, and I couldn't find a replacement one at the auto store or HEB, so I splurged on a new can (plastic, of course) at the Walmart. Who designed this thing? Ecoterrorists? It has a handle only on the top, where my old one has one on the back side as well for stability. Then there's the spout, which is some crappy plastic combo of pointy gear teeth and child-proof tabs that have to be twisted until they interlock, at which point I attempt to simultaneously lift the five-gallon can with one hand and hold the spout in "position" with the other, tip the can, and fill the mower, pouring a cup or two onto the driveway or my foot.

Does anyone know where I can get a cap for my simple, old gas can?
    Ebay has EVERYTHING....or you might get lucky with Craigslist.
    The difference between try and triumph is just a little umph! ~ Marvin Philliips

2. Thanks Grammar Rules thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    use a rag lol
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

4. LOL Grammar Rules, cnjbond LOL'd at this post
    Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure that's a good idea, Dave. I ordered two sets, spout, lid, and all, from Amazon. Probably pricier than eBay, but I have a regular account with Amazon, and simplicity is important (no smart alek comments needed). Craig's would be the cheapest, but I'm not driving 20 miles to deal with a weirdo.
    Y'ALL MEANS ALL.

6. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    Can you let me in on the formula mix. Sounds like you have had experience. The used to have an insecticide called Chlordane that would kill every bug in your grass for 5 years straight. Of course, it was banned after a while. Probably because it worked. Diazanon, which had marginal effects at best, was alo banned. The stuff on the market now is almost useless unless you put on 10 times as much as directions say. Diatamaceous earth and milk spores sounds wierd, but if it works it will be worth it. The only problem would be where to get it.

sorry, sojurner, but i just now saw this. there's no "recipe" involved, i did not mean to say diat****** earth w/milk spores. i meant to say one or the other. in fact, it wouldn't s'prise me but what if the earth might not kill the milky spores if used together. sorry i didn't see this sooner. i get my milky spore at Oma's.....over on old 440.....mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

8. Thanks sojourner truth thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    use a corn cob.....mac

I have a lawn-related question relating to my lawn mower which runs on gas which requires a gas can which needs a cap.

Lost the darned cap, and I couldn't find a replacement one at the auto store or HEB, so I splurged on a new can (plastic, of course) at the Walmart. Who designed this thing? Ecoterrorists? It has a handle only on the top, where my old one has one on the back side as well for stability. Then there's the spout, which is some crappy plastic combo of pointy gear teeth and child-proof tabs that have to be twisted until they interlock, at which point I attempt to simultaneously lift the five-gallon can with one hand and hold the spout in "position" with the other, tip the can, and fill the mower, pouring a cup or two onto the driveway or my foot.

Does anyone know where I can get a cap for my simple, old gas can?
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

10. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    LOL Grammar Rules, CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up a regular gas can at Mickey's on Trimmier and Jasper a few months ago.

12. Thanks Grammar Rules thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure that's a good idea, Dave. I ordered two sets, spout, lid, and all, from Amazon. Probably pricier than eBay, but I have a regular account with Amazon, and simplicity is important (no smart alek comments needed). Craig's would be the cheapest, but I'm not driving 20 miles to deal with a weirdo.
    Dave's recommendation comes from some guy named "Molotov" who is famous for cocktails.

Let me guess, the cap you lost was a little yellow thing? The cans that had an open tube spout with a little yellow cap were the first ones to handle this new gas with butane in it without letting the butane get away. (not too big a deal with push mowers, but death to cars) Did you find something similar on Amazon, or settle for something different? If you can find spout sets that use that open tube with the little yellow cap on the top, the info would be golden. Some years back, the EPA made a "rule" that you can't sell gas cans with that kind of spout any more. Please let us know if what you get from Amazon is any good.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

14. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    There are a lot of folks with that problem right now.
    . . .
    Weed and feeds have never worked for me very well. Plus, they harm the trees if they leach into the ground water and can get your shrubs as well. I hate to say this, but I think the only way to fix your yard is to spray the weeds, kill them off, and then resod or reseed. That will not be cheap. Lawn care is one of the things when "an ounce of prevention" is a good idea. A good, healthy, thick St. Augustine lawn will keep weeds out naturally, as long as the grubs don't get it.
    I got the same problem with weeds, but not from grubs. You must have a serious grub problem in your neighborhood. The weed and seed stuff contains 2,4D and that will kill ANYTHING that has "leaves" but won't kill grasses. I killed a couple trees with it before I found out how sensitive the trees are in this area.

Anybody have any experience with Atrazine? I have been using small amounts of it. Stuns grasses, which tend to recover, kill weeds, which tend not to recover. Don't know the effect on local trees. I came from a place where it rained very very often, and have had some trouble figuring out how to deal with plants here. (I poured 200+ pounds of salt on a rock bed to kill off grasses that were growing up in it, and the grass and weeds ignored it, but a couple oz of 2,4D kills a tree?)
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's what I ordered. It's illegal? Cool. I feel like a part of the anti-establishment now.
    I'll report back next week.

Moeller Scepter Gas/Diesel/Water Can Replacement Parts by Moeller Marine (Jan 19, 2007)

$5.62
    Order in the next 22 hours and get it by Friday, Jun 14.
    (40)
    Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.
    Sports & Outdoors: See all 25 items
    Y'ALL MEANS ALL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mestral View Post
    I got the same problem with weeds, but not from grubs. You must have a serious grub problem in your neighborhood. The weed and seed stuff contains 2,4D and that will kill ANYTHING that has "leaves" but won't kill grasses. I killed a couple trees with it before I found out how sensitive the trees are in this area.

Anybody have any experience with Atrazine? I have been using small amounts of it. Stuns grasses, which tend to recover, kill weeds, which tend not to recover. Don't know the effect on local trees. I came from a place where it rained very very often, and have had some trouble figuring out how to deal with plants here. (I poured 200+ pounds of salt on a rock bed to kill off grasses that were growing up in it, and the grass and weeds ignored it, but a couple oz of 2,4D kills a tree?)

I hate to dissagree, but 24D (alias agent orange) will kill Saint Augustine. I doesn't kill Bermuda or othe narrow leaf grasses, but it does a JOB on St. Augustine. Especially Raleigh.

If You really want a cheap gas cap, go to either tractor supply or any place that supplies boat stuff and you can buy an expandable rubber stopper plug, like what you use on the boat (affectionately referred to as the dammit plug, as your boat sinks if you don't remember to put it in). I had one in an old mower and it worked for years. Walmart actually has replacement caps, and they are usually a universal fit.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

18. Likes Mestral liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast