Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What happened to...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What happened to...

...the feature that showed who viewed a thread? It used to appear at the bottom of a thread.

I still see who is currently viewing, and it wouldn't be hard to bang something together to keep track of that over time. But that list was a pretty handy thing.

I like to make sure that when I see a certain view count, that it's not just me hitting the refresh button.
    "There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal."

F.A. Hayek

Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian McCall View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...the feature that showed who viewed a thread? It used to appear at the bottom of a thread.

I still see who is currently viewing, and it wouldn't be hard to bang something together to keep track of that over time. But that list was a pretty handy thing.

I like to make sure that when I see a certain view count, that it's not just me hitting the refresh button.
    My first thought is, Who cares? Of course, since Corgifan and I are lightning rods, we can be assured of great readership, evidenced by the pitchfork and scythe-wielding mob shouting and pounding the dusty road behind us.

Second thought, though, is that perhaps you missed the reason that the count won't be accurate. A few months ago, we learned that some Forum members were being admonished at work because someone who had plenty of time was able to spend it monitoring theirs. People at work do get the occasional break, lunch, or even a sick day. But the perception was that they were goofing off if they were reading or posting. So Rick took away the time stamp and offered a Cloak of Invisibility. I wear mine, so you won't see me reading your threads. You might, however, occasionally see steam rising from a spot east of IH 35.

3. Likes Mestral liked this post
    LOL Brian McCall, Mestral, Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Interesting. Yes, I did miss that. Though I wonder what would possess someone to tell their boss what their online name is. Well, those who use anonymous handles anyway.

And no scythe here. I just stand back and use my handy Welsh longbow, or sometimes my trebuchet for area effect.
    "There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal."

F.A. Hayek

5. LOL Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It isn't hard, if you KNOW someone, to figure out who is who on here. One need not TELL their boss for their boss to find out.

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." Thomas Paine

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I agree there was too much information in the old format. Not only did it tell who had read the thread, but the time of their last reading.

I would love to see that come back, but only saying who had read it, or who had read it that day. Even knowing how many "hits" for the current day would be great, as that would at least tell some of us if we are talking to the wall.

BTW, I run cloaked, just out of habit from the old days. (actually, I often ran through a proxy server to mask my IP address too) I wonder how many do that. I don't suppose I need to do that here.

Hmmm, east of I35. We have an easterner among us. Explains a lot. [/kidding]
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

8. LOL Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    TMI displayed was the reason I removed that feature.

Brian, there was a principal or two who would print out people's messages and leave them in their inbox at school.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Brian, there was a principal or two who would print out people's messages and leave them in their inbox at school.
    Wonder if that counted against that teacher's copy count for the year...

11. LOL xzochye, Grammar Rules, bbh, Night Owl, corgifan LOL'd at this post
    Saddened by xzochye is saddened by this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yes, we couldn't have groups larger than three teachers getting on here at the same time. The higher ups might get the idea they were trying to organize.
    Ah Billy, Billy, Billy, what've ye unleashed upon mankind?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    TMI displayed was the reason I removed that feature.

What passive-aggressive little totalitarian pricks!

I guess that kind of job attracts personalities like that.

F.A. Hayek

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammar Rules View Post
    Of course, since Corgifan and I are lightning rods, we can be assured of great readership, evidenced by the pitchfork and scythe-wielding mob shouting and pounding the dusty road behind us.
    HEY!!! What do you mean that WE are lightning rods, Kimosabe????

15. LOL Grammar Rules LOL'd at this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast