Page 1 of 76 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: late news on ammo in Febuary

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

late news on ammo in Febuary

I was walking through Acadamy monday and I noticed something about the ammo display. There was a great big hole in the shelf. I stopped and examined it, and they had virtually no 9mm JHP ammo.

Everything else was there, 38, 380, 357, 40SW. They seemed to have enouogh 9mm ball ammo, too.

Of course, the system used to stock modern stores hides whether the supply is sufficient, until it runs out. What we see (not only in ammo, but in food) is a facade. Displays a couple of items deep, there could be lots of depth to the stock, or what is on the shelf could be the last of its kind. They won't tell you.

Or it could just be they hadn't had time to bring it out from the back.

I was just wondering if anyone had heard any news that would explain a shortage? (Links to news are always a plus)

Just for historical purposes, some previous threads on guns and ammo:

Ammo shortage over. 2009
    http://www.centextalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3984

Personal and Family home defense feb 2010
    http://www.centextalk.com/vb/showthread.php?6022

Price of ammo may rise nov 2010
    http://www.centextalk.com/vb/showthread.php?8899
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    They, for some reason keep some of the ammo behind the counter. You may want to inquire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Walked by that same counter again and noticed they have several boxes of "Speer Lawman" ammo up there, right in the middle, between where the critical defense and the supreme elite ammo would be. It is also listed in their sales flyer. That they seem to be pushing this, is a bit disconcerting.

This, I believe is their FMJ ammo (or maybe MC ammo), meant for practice. I just wonder how many people will snap it up, not understanding it isn't meant for personal defense.

Speer makes several good lines of ammo for personal defense, so I wonder why Academy seems to be pushing this (other than the pure profit motive).

Oh, yes, and I noticed they DO have quite a few boxes of 100 Winchester FMJ ammo. AFAIK, these are the best (read cheapest, reliable) target ammo they carry in the 9mm.

They also have some marked "NATO," and "Winchester" is in black, rather than red. Does anyone know what the difference is?

Note, for the untrained reading this: Full Metal Jacket or Metal Case rounds don't expand, reducing their effectiveness by about 50%, and increasing their tendency to retain enough energy after passing through their intended target to remain dangerous. They also have more tenancy to ricochet. That the US military is required (maybe), by international law, to use them, means we are "self handicapped," not that they are more effective. This is a common misconception. They are used for target practice because FMJ and MC rounds are cheap and don't "shed" lead in the barrel and on the range.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd say the FMJ & MC rounds should be better than the wooden bullets used in training during both WWs.
    Ah Billy, Billy, Billy, what've ye unleashed upon mankind?

5. LOL Mestral LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    we used wooden bullets for training during both world wars? reallly? i know we had some wooden training aid type ammo (not rifle or pistol) but didn't know that we ever actually trained with wooden ammo....in fact, that almost seems impossible to me.......but will yield to you on it.......mac (i can't help but wonder what kind of ballistics that would produce......i guess they must've been turned on a lather and made out of oak or ash......mac

Quote Originally Posted by IronErnin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd say the FMJ & MC rounds should be better than the wooden bullets used in training during both WWs.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was used in Basic Rifle Marksmanship training, to save metal projectiles for combat use. Also, snipers and other advanced type shooters used metal projectiles in training. I don't know that the wooden projectiles were all that were used. They might've been used just for those that merely had to be familiar with their weapon rather than knowing it intimately enough to field strip and do a minimum cleaning in the middle of an artillery barrage.

Post Thanks / Like
    was the cartridge case also made out of wood......or just the bullet?.........this is fascinating to me.........mac

Quote Originally Posted by IronErnin View Post
    It was used in Basic Rifle Marksmanship training, to save metal projectiles for combat use. Also, snipers and other advanced type shooters used metal projectiles in training. I don't know that the wooden projectiles were all that were used. They might've been used just for those that merely had to be familiar with their weapon rather than knowing it intimately enough to field strip and do a minimum cleaning in the middle of an artillery barrage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you post sources for this information. I have never heard of wooden bullets being used and will need proof before I will believe it.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    i'll take him at his word........mac

Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    Can you post sources for this information. I have never heard of wooden bullets being used and will need proof before I will believe it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gee, just go to a museum with a decent exhibit for those wars.
    Mac, the casings were brass. It is possible they might've been local reloads just to cut down on costs. But I have seen exhibits where the rounds were packaged in an oil paper box. If they were simple training aids, I doubt they would've bothered with that. BTW, I've only ever seen rifle ammo like that.

Page 1 of 76 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast