Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Local honey to fight allergies

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by corgifan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another old wives tale. Studies have shown that people who took corn syrup with honey flavoring (believing it was honey) had the same response as those taking real honey. Find me one site that is recognized by the AMA and not some holistic guru and I'll change my mind.
    Show me the studies done with corn syrup and I might change my mind.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Honey and Allergies

Some laboratory studies suggest honey has the potential to clear up stuffy noses and ease allergies triggered by pollen. But it's a bit of a stretch to apply that to patients, says New Jersey allergist Corinna Bowser, MD.

Bowser says she doesn't consider the studies on honey and congestion to be adequate, for a few reasons: most allergy sufferers are sensitive to wind-carried pollens like grass and ragweed -- the kind not carried by bees and transformed into honey.

"If you want to treat someone for common allergies, it's not commonly found in bee honey," Bowser says.

"Even if there are allergens in the honey, it wouldn't make a difference, because it gets broken down by stomach acids and doesn't trigger an immunological response," Bowser says. In contrast, "The pills we take for allergies are coated so they don't get broken down," she says.

Source: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/m...f-honey?page=2
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    they also have the absolute best noon meal within reach......used to go there when i worked at temple......a country fried steak to die for......best sausage kolaches within reach too! they're the real deal.......i ain't never et supper there so can't comment on that...sheesh, that's a pretty good haul from here in killeen, but i might just head out that way for a late noon meal today.....mac

Quote Originally Posted by Grammar Rules View Post
    Green's Sausage House in Zabcikville east of Temple has local honey, and I think they usually have it with the comb. Also home-processed sausage, kolaches, breads, beef sticks, and custom meats in the general store side. Old-fashioned burgers and CFS plus cold brew in the diner side. Worth the trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Honey and Allergies

Some laboratory studies suggest honey has the potential to clear up stuffy noses and ease allergies triggered by pollen. But it's a bit of a stretch to apply that to patients, says New Jersey allergist Corinna Bowser, MD.

Bowser says she doesn't consider the studies on honey and congestion to be adequate, for a few reasons: most allergy sufferers are sensitive to wind-carried pollens like grass and ragweed -- the kind not carried by bees and transformed into honey.

"If you want to treat someone for common allergies, it's not commonly found in bee honey," Bowser says.

"Even if there are allergens in the honey, it wouldn't make a difference, because it gets broken down by stomach acids and doesn't trigger an immunological response," Bowser says. In contrast, "The pills we take for allergies are coated so they don't get broken down," she says.

Source: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/m...f-honey?page=2
    What else would you expect allergist Bowser to say? Follow the money. It is a miracle that we survived before we had people with MD after their name, just ask them.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

5. LOL Grammar Rules LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    What else would you expect allergist Bowser to say? Follow the money. It is a miracle that we survived before we had people with MD after their name, just ask them.
    NO, you totally share my view on the matter. I only posted that for the sake of balance. I am a honey addict, the darker the better. Unfortunately, my source is a Muslim Imam who used to come to the prison where I served as chaplain so I guess I am buying a bullet or two every six weeks for the other side... but he assures me that he's a peace loving Muslim But, to be on the safe side I decided not to advert for him so don't ask me where he's located.

7. Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    they also have the absolute best noon meal within reach......used to go there when i worked at temple......a country fried steak to die for......best sausage kolaches within reach too! they're the real deal.......i ain't never et supper there so can't comment on that...sheesh, that's a pretty good haul from here in killeen, but i might just head out that way for a late noon meal today.....mac
    Have to add their sausage is processed right there. They also process deer meat and will custom smoke your turkey without all those multi syllable additives.

Back to local honey, I've no idea if it contains allergy fighting ingredients. It's delicious, and the endorphins released probably help.
    Last edited by Grammar Rules; February 23rd, 2012 at 7:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just what we need around here, Grammar with more endorphins.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

10. LOL Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have to keep my spirits up somehow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Show me the studies done with corn syrup and I might change my mind.
    Here you go: http://www.annallergy.org/article/S1...996-5/abstract
    Real doctors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammar Rules View Post
    . . . Back to local honey, I've no idea if it contains allergy fighting ingredients. It's delicious, and the endorphins released probably help.
    I second that.

Quote Originally Posted by corgifan View Post
    Why would we be interested in the opinion of someone who is paid to give us a negative result?
    Don't you know how the system works? If the result is what they want, publish the study. If the result is not what they want, bury the study.
    I don't mind being called far right.
    I have been right so far.

14. Likes Night Owl liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast