Thread: Skin Irritation>?

Post Thanks / Like

Skin Irritation>?

I have a friend expierencing some wierd skin issues and thought I would see if any of you have had something similar! She doesnt really have allergies, hasnt changed anything from diet to laundry detergent, but her skin randomly get irritated. It happens all over, her neck, back, arms, legs. it itches, sometimes looks like welts, the irritated area is hot. it comes and goes rarely in the same spots!

Any IDeas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Has your friend had kids? I've never had any allergies to anything, and right after I had my daughter I had a terrible reaction to the detergent they used at the hospital. It's been 4 1/2 years since I had my kids and I randomly get weird rashes that come and go with no explanation. All I do is put hydrocortisone on them, and they eventually go away.
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals... except the weasel."
    - Homer Simpson

Post Thanks / Like
    Could be food. She may need to try to introduce foods one at a time (strawberries, tomatoes, citrus, shellfish) to discover the culprit. Either that or keep Benyadryl close.

Post Thanks / Like
    I, too have had some welts/hive type things appear on my face lately. They are itchy, but aren't hot to the touch. It's been going on for a couple of months. Nothing different in the diet, laundry detergent, lotion, or soap I use. When I was pretty sick a while back, I went to the Dr. and he told me that since allergies are really bad right now, my immune system was probably really tied up fighting the infection and the allergies I had, and probably got the hives/welts from bacteria my body can't fight. The antibiotic he prescribed made them go down, and they were almost gone, as he told me would happen, but then a few weeks later I got pretty sick with yet another sinus infection and the hives came back. I went back to the Dr., and he prescribed another anti-biotic. He also told me that the pollen was extremely high right now, not only because of last summer's drought, but with the mild weather we've been having. This time, the medicine kicked the sinus infection, but the hives didn't go away, so the other day I googled it. Most sites talked about the obvious things like new foods, different detergents, etc. But, they also spoke about how pollen and allergies can cause this. I am one of those people who have never had allergies in my life...until I moved here. And, up until now, all they did was make me feel run down and crappy, like I had the flu (no itchy, watery eyes, etc.). Apparently, that has changed, and right now my eyes itch somethin' awful, and I have the classic allergy symptoms. Most of the sites said that some allergy medicines work, and the hives can come and go. I'm supposed to start taking Nasonex, so I'll be curious to see if it makes the hives go away.

"It's on like bing bong!!!"

Post Thanks / Like
    I buy the generic zyrtec at Sams and take that daily. It helped until recently when my school tried to kill me.

I am taking Zrytec-D and Singulair now. I also have Xoponex for when I can't breathe. Pretty extreme for seasonal allergies, eh?

I do think that I daily allergy med can work wonders during pollen's busy season.
    "My days of not taking you seriously have come to a middle."
    ~ Captain Malcolm Reynolds