Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: A few questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cnjbond View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pre-owned homes are hard to sell, so he may have to give a little (whether that be upgrades, upgrade allowances or reducing the asking price) to attract a buyer when compared to the new construction available. I don't think I would to as much upgrading as he's planning but I would do some to make my house a little more attractive to buyers.
    I purchased an REO at a steal a couple of years ago, it is funny but there are so many things that you can upgrade at a really inexpensive price as compared to new constructions offering the same thing at three and four times the price. The cost of balusters for a new construction is a $3,500 upgrade, I found some day laborers that can do the same thing for $750 with labor, WHAT A DEAL!!!!!!!!!! The same stuff at lowes would cost over 1200 to install myself, WHAT A DEAL!!!!!!!!!!

2. Likes cnjbond liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by onetime View Post
    I purchased an REO at a steal a couple of years ago, it is funny but there are so many things that you can upgrade at a really inexpensive price as compared to new constructions offering the same thing at three and four times the price. The cost of balusters for a new construction is a $3,500 upgrade, I found some day laborers that can do the same thing for $750 with labor, WHAT A DEAL!!!!!!!!!! The same stuff at lowes would cost over 1200 to install myself, WHAT A DEAL!!!!!!!!!!
    I have come to believe that one generally gets what one pays for. I, too, hired "day laborers" to lay some of my laminate flooring. They seemed to know whet they were doing and the price was so much less than was offered by the local flooring stores. Now, less than a year later, I'm ready to rip those floors up and replace them. Hey, that's okay for you since you're only looking for cosmetics so you can find a sucker... err buyer for your house. Makes me glad that you rejected my offer. BTW: "Day laborers" is just another way of saying "illegal aliens" is it not?

4. LOL Night Owl, sojourner truth, CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I completely agree with JoAnn here. I would definitely get a home inspector first and spend your first dollars on anything that will need to be fixed. It's amazing what the home inspectors can see that we don't even think of looking for.

Next, I would focus on the kitchen. The stainless steel apppliances was a good choice. I, too would go to some of the marble places and look through their scrap inventory. You can really find some great deals on marble tops that were cut wrong, or the customer decided they didn't like what they chose. Chair rail instead of wainscotting is a great idea. I did this in my little home and it really added a lot of character to the dining area, and it looks great with the crown molding. The updated light fixtures and recessed lighting is a great upgrade and definitely adds appeal to your buyer.

Not sure what your current master bedroom closet is like right now, but I would start there first instead of the guest rooms. Potential buyers want move-in ready and would be wowed with upgraded closet space.

Good luck!

"It's on like bing bong!!!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I have come to believe that one generally gets what one pays for. I, too, hired "day laborers" to lay some of my laminate flooring. They seemed to know whet they were doing and the price was so much less than was offered by the local flooring stores. Now, less than a year later, I'm ready to rip those floors up and replace them. Hey, that's okay for you since you're only looking for cosmetics so you can find a sucker... err buyer for your house. Makes me glad that you rejected my offer. BTW: "Day laborers" is just another way of saying "illegal aliens" is it not?
    Actually the fellas that did owned a business, the owner was the father of a friend and did them at cost because they overstock. I had a guy that was a day laborer over at the house the other day to do some work that graduated from one of the local high schools, I did not check his green card but he seemed to know more the average illegal alien about the school. Thanks for your advice and by the way please answer the question that I posed or leave your comments to yourself I assure you they will not be missed by doing so.

7. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stormy View Post
    I completely agree with JoAnn here. I would definitely get a home inspector first and spend your first dollars on anything that will need to be fixed. It's amazing what the home inspectors can see that we don't even think of looking for.

Next, I would focus on the kitchen. The stainless steel apppliances was a good choice. I, too would go to some of the marble places and look through their scrap inventory. You can really find some great deals on marble tops that were cut wrong, or the customer decided they didn't like what they chose. Chair rail instead of wainscotting is a great idea. I did this in my little home and it really added a lot of character to the dining area, and it looks great with the crown molding. The updated light fixtures and recessed lighting is a great upgrade and definitely adds appeal to your buyer.

Not sure what your current master bedroom closet is like right now, but I would start there first instead of the guest rooms. Potential buyers want move-in ready and would be wowed with upgraded closet space.

Good luck!
    Thank you so much, the thought process on the guest closets were that since I have no one in those now I could try out the whole DIY process without moving all of my clothes around. I was also thinking that by the time I get to the master I will have already practiced three times over.

Post Thanks / Like
    The jetted tub is enough for me. Sounds like a great place. I used Cloud Realty. The worked really hard for me and got me a smoking deal on my house.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard they do good work too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by onetime View Post
    Thank you so much, the thought process on the guest closets were that since I have no one in those now I could try out the whole DIY process without moving all of my clothes around. I was also thinking that by the time I get to the master I will have already practiced three times over.
    Good idea!! We'll expect pictures of your home makeover!

"It's on like bing bong!!!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Definately consider a demand water heater. Lowering the monthly costs of utilities should be a big help in selling the house.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have two small closets in the master bedroom, but want to combine them into a large walk in. I wonder how much that would cost. If you do something like that let me know. Good luck on your home repairs. I agree that the stainless steel appliances is a great idea. That is the trend now-a-days. I am going to gradually replace my applicances with stainless steel too. I like the cleanliness.

Whoever posted about the scrap marble/granite? I need to replace the cruddy countertops in my house, and would like to do that too. Do you know of a place around here?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast