Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: A few questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Heck, I was going to offer him $170,000 as is, but he chose to slam me as a conservative instead. I wish him luck in today's market.
    If this house sells for 170K then something drastic has happend in the plan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by onetime View Post
    Nah, one should always listen to his elders, and see if they have some wisdom. There could be a real estate agent on here that knows the industry as well, I will not know unless I ask. The site reaffirmed the idea of getting a whirlpool tub as well.
    Reckon a sunken whirlpool tub would be great in the master bedroom, when the bed is raised and tilted you could slide in to it and relax.

3. LOL xzochye, engteach64 LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by onetime View Post

These are the things I want to do - please tell me if you have any suggestions
    retaining wall For what purpose is the retaining wall?
    Granite countertops with drop in sink in Kitchen and bathrooms - is it necessary that they match from kitchen to bathrooms?I find that matching does not matter in my homes. Just don't go too crazy. If you able to use the same paint throughout that matches all the granite it will help with flow.
    slate in bathrooms Slat pops in time so the homeowner may not like it if it is the real stuff. Don't use it in the shower.
    jet tub I would install jets. Don't think about a bigger shower and removing tubs because homebuyers and Realtors want the option.
    patio enclosure Not necessary unless you still have additional patio. You may not receive this money back in sale of home.
    shed in back yard Again only necessary if you need storage for the home. If it is an extension like a workshop or poker room then this is a bonus room.
    Modernize all walk in closets If it allows the closet to create more storage this is great. A straight one rod in closet in not appealing for usually the woman purchasing the home.
    update mirrors in bathrooms Just be sure it matches the faucets and light fixtures. It doesn't make sense to put a fancy bronze mirror with chrome fixtures. Bronze fixtures seem to be an important trend right now. If you can't do it all then just make sure the existing ones are in good shape.
    Wainscotting in dining room and master bed Wainscotting is not too popular now but a chair rail in the dining makes sense for texture and paint options. Don't do this in the master bedroom though.

This is a list of stuff I have done at the current place
    1. Crown molding in all rooms
    2. Water softener
    3. Whole house water filter
    4. solid Hard wood floors downstairs
    5. recessed lights
    6. Stainless steel appliances and washer and dryer (do people sell those with their houses?) In most cases the washer and dryer are asked for as a bonus so hold out to add to the contract unless you have no use for them and want new.
    7. Rod on balusters
    8. solar screens
    9. rocker switches
    10. dimmer lights
    11. fans in all rooms and office
    12. lever knobs
    13. cabinet handles
    14. stained concrete patio and front porch
    15. I am going to sell the Smart TVs with the place, do people do that?
    16. painted garage
    17. upgraded light fixtures
    18. Auto-on lights in bathrooms
    19. stained fence
    20. The house came with chingos of other upgrades but these are the ones that I have done on my own.

Just another opinion. You obviously know your house best. Regarding the wiring, I would also make it IPOD or MP3 ready so a homebuyer could plug in their music list instantly. What a bonus feature. I would also invest in a home inspector and get from him/her a list of repairs that may be unseen that really need to be done in order to sell your home. You certainly don't want to go to all this trouble only to find a big ticket item that additionally needs to be paid for by you, the seller, in order to sell.

5. Likes stormy, munnie62 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoAnn Purser View Post
    Just another opinion. You obviously know your house best. Regarding the wiring, I would also make it IPOD or MP3 ready so a homebuyer could plug in their music list instantly. What a bonus feature. I would also invest in a home inspector and get from him/her a list of repairs that may be unseen that really need to be done in order to sell your home. You certainly don't want to go to all this trouble only to find a big ticket item that additionally needs to be paid for by you, the seller, in order to sell.
    THANK YOU, for replying

The retaining wall is for aesthetics more then anything, I have seen a few houses that have it and do not in the area and my wife and I think it makes the landscape look great.

I will not be using slate then, any suggestions on a shower material besides basic tile?

I have looked and looked and the the whole house stereo project was scrapped yesterday due to the lack of existing technology and if they would be useful within the next 5 years.

There are three different routes that I could take and I was not really happy with two of them and the third didn't seem to be a good investment. Maybe if we were keeping the home we would have.

I am going to start with the guest rooms first to try the DIY walk in closet, I have read that they are not hard to do and it will entertaining to attempt to put it in. This is a similar look of what I would like. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bedroom-jlh-std-maghogany.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	2217

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the closet! Will sell home when buyers see it.

For the shower cultured marble and tile are the standards. You could use granite tile but you may not get the dollar return as you could with a great polished tile. Just be sure in the shower floor to use a waterproof pan for traction and leak prevention. I know that tile would be prettier but for leaks it is most practical. If you insist on tile just be sure to have small squares for traction. Also, if you have the space, I would install a shower bench as homebuyers love them for storage and use to sit or to rest leg to shave and wash.

Unless there is a pressing issue for the retaining wall and drainage issue you may find the homebuyer will change the yard up a little anyway. It may not be too important.

Also as far as flooring is concerned, I wouldn't replace any carpeting as it could be a tool for dollars given to the homebuyer to change it out themselves and then they feel they win two ways. One, getting dollars from you and two fresh carpet that is theirs only.

Post Thanks / Like
    Granite suppliers have remnants that are priced very competitively.

You may be able to get an exotic color, higher level or thicker slab at a reduced price is it fits the space you need like a small bathroom or a piece of furniture that needs a new top.

Ask about pieces they need to get rid of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again, very very helpful

Post Thanks / Like
    Why upgrade a home you are selling. You MIGHT get 80% return on your investment IF you do all the work. That is throwing money away. Sell it as is and keep the 20%.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

11. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pre-owned homes are hard to sell, so he may have to give a little (whether that be upgrades, upgrade allowances or reducing the asking price) to attract a buyer when compared to the new construction available. I don't think I would to as much upgrading as he's planning but I would do some to make my house a little more attractive to buyers.
    The difference between try and triumph is just a little umph! ~ Marvin Philliips

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    Why upgrade a home you are selling. You MIGHT get 80% return on your investment IF you do all the work. That is throwing money away. Sell it as is and keep the 20%.
    So if I buy a $320K dollar house at $245K in a new high end community, I upgrade and update a ton of things spending about 15K and resale it at 350K+ which is still lower then other houses in the area. Your saying the opportunity to sell it at a higher rate and fast is not a good reason to update it?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast