Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hamster Help

Post Thanks / Like

Hamster Help

Dr. Buckley, do you treat hamsters? My daughter's teddy bear hamster is a little over 2 years old now, and for the past few weeks, she's become really lethargic. She won't run in her wheel anymore, and when we clean her cage, she won't run around in the ball anymore. She just gets to a certain spot and stays there until we're ready to put her back in. She used to be very active until recently. She still eats (or at least comes out to the food dish and stuffs her cheeks to go hide it in her house), and still drinks water. For a few days last week her one eye was shut, but it's back open now. At first I thought it might be just her age, but now that she won't run in her wheel at all anymore, I'm not sure. I don't want her to suffer, especially if it's something wrong that can be treated. This is our first hamster, so I just don't have a clue. Any advice you can give? If you will look at her, should I go ahead and bring her in? Thanks!

"It's on like bing bong!!!"

2. Saddened by Texas Immigrant, JoAnn Purser is saddened by this post
    Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having had hamsters as a child and then allowing my own kids to have a succession of them, I don't think it looks hopeful for yours. Poor li'l thing.

4. Thanks stormy thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think you will hear much encouraging news. Hamsters have short lifespans when compared to other critters, with an average life expectancy between 2 and 3 years. Aging disorders are common in those animals over 1 year in age.

6. Thanks stormy thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be happy to take a look at the little critter. Options are often limited should the diagnosis be something serious. Previous posts are correct concerning lifespan, etc. Give us a call if I can help.

8. Thanks stormy thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone and Dr. Buckley! I'll probably be giving you call so you can take a look at her. She's such a sweetie, and I know she's getting pretty old.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update: I'll be bringing Ellinore in to see you on Wednesday at 2:00...at first the gal told me you didn't treat hamsters, but I told her you had given me the "ok" to make an appointment to take a look at her! Thank you again!

11. Likes Rick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So our little Ellinore got her check-up today. A HUGE thanks to Dr. Buckley and his staff for taking such good care of us today! It seems that she is fine, and that helps put my mind at ease. The bad things that she could've had, she doesn't have, so we'll just keep our eyes peeled on our little furry little family member and hope she's fully on the mend now! Glad I was able to throw a little spice in your day today! Thank you so much again!!!!

13. Likes Texas Immigrant liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's always nice to get to see an "off the beaten path" kinda pet! That's why I love my job. Ellinore is really cool. Please let me know if I can help in any way.

15. Thanks stormy thanked this post
    Likes Night Owl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ludwig has a Unicorn that needs help.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

17. LOL Night Owl LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Buckley, D.V.M. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's always nice to get to see an "off the beaten path" kinda pet! That's why I love my job. Ellinore is really cool. Please let me know if I can help in any way.
    Hmmm...Maybe I will bring my bearded dragon in with me. You and Dr. Jones won't mind will ya? It (not sure if it is a he or she....lol)is getting pretty old......

19. LOL CenTexDave, Night Owl LOL'd at this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast