Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State

Post Thanks / Like
    I just find it hard to believe Curley and Schultz aided him in any way. Why would someone risk their livelyhoods like that? Not for friendship.

I have lots of friends but no one that I would sacrifice so much for. Is there a chance they participated in some way? Photos maybe? Why would you help someone like this except for some gain or pleasure?

So many young innocent lives ruined by the very programs that should help and reward. Athletics. All coaches and staff members should guard and protect this from ever happening again and if it is currently happening in their program give these creeps up NOW!

2. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday was a big news day for the pop-news-crew: Michael Jackson's doctor was convicted, the Dragon Lady, Gloria Allred crawled out of her den with another woman claiming improper behavior by Herman Cain, and during all that screaming hype, this story began to come out.

Actually, there was a vague report on 11/6 about a coach at Penn accused of abuse, but I assumed it was some punishment or hazing issue. With a college coach, you don't automatically think of 10 yr olds.

Then I read it on line at CNN during my lunch break; later KLBJ radio was all over it during evening drive time; and today it's on the news networks and in the papers.

It was handled the same way the Episcopal School of Dallas handled a teacher/student relationship (discussed on CTT recently), which is that everyone who had a chance to put a stop to this coach or ex-coach's pedophelia chose to circle the wagons and protect the institution. Who knows how many children could have been safe if anyone at Penn had spoken up and NOT let it go? Disgusting.
    Last edited by Grammar Rules; November 8th, 2011 at 7:20 AM.

4. Thanks Night Owl thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    i definitly hold/held soldiers to a higher standard, even more so their non-commissioned officers.....and i don't consider that doing those folks any disservice what so ever....mac

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, I make no excuse for anyone, priest or lay person. I just find it curious that there is no outrage unless it is a Catholic a priest who is accused. No, I do not hold priests to a higher standard, neither do I hold bishops or even the pope to a higher standard. I understand that all human beings are capable for falling short. IMO, to hold anyone to a higher standard is a gross disservice to that person.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I have to hold these people to a higher standard. For one, the man that did this was in a position of trust. He was supposed to be helping these children and yet he abused them. Secondly, Paterno is a very powerful, well known man so anything he came forward about would have been investigated if he had been forthcoming with the police.
    It makes me sick to think that his excuse was that the assistant that came forward "was distraught … but he at no time related to me the very specific actions contained in the grand jury report."

So, basically it's ok when he just thought he had fondled and showered with a ten yr old but Lord help him now that you know he did more. Seriously?! What a peice of trash to have not come forward to some type of law enforcement. That's what, 9 more years he had free to do this to others?....

And that's just saying I actually believed him. According to the grad assistant he did tell him he saw what he thought was anal intercourse. Guess he just forgot that part?

7. Thanks Rick, Night Owl thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    JoePa will be gone after this season. Will be interesting to see how his current team responds. They are currently 8-1 and atop their division in the Big Ten. Personally, I think they will lose their next three games, finish at 8-4, get an invitation to some second tier bowl game and get blasted in that one also.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    We can only hope. He should have retired 10 years ago. Its all about ego.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    He wanted the all-time win record. Eddie Robinson, former Grambling coach, held it and JoePa and Bobby Bowden at Florida State both wanted it. Bowden finally retired (most think he was told to retire or would be fired) so Paterno kept at it. He's had some great teams and ran a good, clean program until this hit.
    Faretheewell, JoePa.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was in a store today that had a cable news network on a TV near the cash register. Don't recall what channel it was on, but they were discussing the Penn State situation.
    One of the talking heads (didn't recognize him, and don't know if he was a star of the show or a guest) flatly laid out what went wrong in his observation "If I see an adult having sex or attempting to have sex with a minor, the FIRST person I'm going to call is NOT the person in charge of the building I saw the act in, but THE POLICE! We wouldn't be here today talking about this if that student assistant had called the cops first, THEN Coach Paterno!"

JoePa also should've at least followed up on his report to the Athletic Director, to see what was going to be done. Plausible deniability can only go so far....
    "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says." 'Argument Clinic', Monty Python's Flying Circus

12. Likes Grammar Rules, CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    With so many variables to this story it is difficult to levy an opinion on what should have been done. Personally, and I may stand alone, if I see a man having sex with a child reporting it would be the last thing I would do. The first thing I would do would like be to grab whatever I could find and take upside the head of the perpetuator. What a vile and sick thing to do to somebody, if you have not read the transcripts of the case then you should check it out. After trying to destroy this piece of sh** I would then report what occurred and then what I did in a fit of blind rage. Now if it were my own kid, that would likely end with a homicide or castration.

Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like
    I completely agree. It's reported that pedophiles are disdained in prisons by the other convicts. And these wealthy professional coaches and staff were concerned only with institutional self preservation? It's shameful that their morals are lower than those of criminals.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast