Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Paris

Post Thanks / Like

Paris

I am taking a group of my students on a Holocaust trip through Germany, Poland and Austria this summer for 10 days. And since I have so many students going, the tour company is sending me on a training this January. The training just happens to be in Paris.

Sooooo....having never gone there yet, am just wondering from people who have what they thought of Paris? I am excited!!

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." Thomas Paine

2. Likes clerial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful city but very very dirty.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scarlett: There's a great new book.....well, kind of new out there by david mccullough (same guy that wrote adams) called greater journey. as you prob'ly already know during the early 1800s tons of american youth (upper middle class) sailed to france for a variety of reasons, generally to further their education or career.....anyway, you'd really enjoy it and it'd give you a huge heads up before you and your students make own trip, in fact, it wouldn't surprise me but what if you didn't make it mandatory reading for your group......mac (these aren't guys like franklin or jefferson or other founders, it's about kids who were high school age......male and female....mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey mac - "by david mccullough (same guy that wrote adams) called greater journey"

Just picked up this book after your recommendation. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am taking a group of my students on a Holocaust trip through Germany, Poland and Austria this summer for 10 days. And since I have so many students going, the tour company is sending me on a training this January. The training just happens to be in Paris.

Sooooo....having never gone there yet, am just wondering from people who have what they thought of Paris? I am excited!!
    I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy. Man taking those students takes guts. About Paris - I was so overwhelmed by the history of the city that I think I probably missed more than I saw but I think by picking a few must see places and making sure I had enough time to spend at those places helped. The people, for me, were a true dichotomy, while sometimes so helpful and others very critical because something I did was not the Parisian way. I have traveled around Europe and found the Parisians to be very very snobby in comparison to other Europeans. Sort of an I'm Parisian and you're not attitude.
    They did appreciate my weak attempts to speak French and helpful in speaking English but they were brutal if I did not order food or place spoons, etc...in the acceptable Parisian manner. Suggest you buy a French etiquette book and speak to someone from France before you go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I won't be left to my own devices...I will have the tour people with me and they should be helpful since they do this all the time...I know there is one evening that we can have our choice of things to do on our own...and the tower is one of those options. Pretty sure if I go all the way to Paris and don't go up the tower I will regret it. Right?

I LOVE to travel...but I can't afford my hobby. Since I have started teaching I have been blessed to travel to Boston, Philly, DC, Greece, and now Paris and then the Holocaust trip all for free. I have just had to be creative!

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." Thomas Paine

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you get to visit Dachau?? Not to sound creepy or morbid, but I've visited there twice, and it was probably the most hauntingly peaceful place I've ever been. I am so jealous that you get to do a Holocaust tour. If you need an assistant, I'd love to help.

Enjoy Paris... I loved walking around the park by the Louvre (and the Louvre itself) and Versailles. Gorgeous. I hope to make it back there someday.
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals... except the weasel."
    - Homer Simpson

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been to Dachau when I lived in Germany...but yes I will be taking my students there. Your assessment of the experience is spot on. Impossible to explain to anyone who hasn't been but totally something everyone who has the chance should do.

Adults are more than welcome to come....you just have to pay!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ohh...and both those places are places they will be taking me in Paris!

Post Thanks / Like
    Paris... filthy city populated by filthy snobs... one could not pay me to spend one hour there... but then I'm German... from the Saar so what do I know... I pray for their conversion.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast