Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hawaii???

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dawglover View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, Ludwig and me were riding the waves there during a big Tsunami. Ludwig had to ride a jelly fish that was stuck to his surfboard. He screamed out in pain and then went in to shock once he reached shore. His foot swelled up like a snowshoe and that’s when he gave up surfing.
    He should have stuck with it. With a foot that size he didn't need a surf board.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hubby and I went in '06... we followed the advice of my sister-in-law who had just been there on her honeymoon. We were told to avoid Honolulu proper. For the most part, we did. We stayed at the Marriott resort in Ko Olina and absolutely fell in love with it. We did not do all of the things that you're "supposed" to do - we didn't do the Polynesian Cultural Center, or Diamond Head, and we never hit the beaches in Waikiki. We hiked a trail (Wikiwikinui Trail, I think?) and it was amazing. We surfed in Haleiwa (amazing - North Shore Surf lessons - fabulous!), we snorkled in a few spots on the island. We also did Germaine's luau, which according to my friend who is a local, has the best hula show if you're looking to do that. My favorite things about our trip was the breakfast buffet at the resort - totally worth the extra $$, and these chocolates we got at Walmart called Toffee Macs. Toffee and macadamia nuts? Yes please!!!

Don't get bogged down in Honolulu. The island is so much better than just Honolulu. And make you island hop. We are going in a few years again and plan to hit the other islands this time.
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals... except the weasel."
    - Homer Simpson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great stuff, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by liessemsed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hubby and I went in '06... we followed the advice of my sister-in-law who had just been there on her honeymoon. We were told to avoid Honolulu proper. For the most part, we did. We stayed at the Marriott resort in Ko Olina and absolutely fell in love with it. We did not do all of the things that you're "supposed" to do - we didn't do the Polynesian Cultural Center, or Diamond Head, and we never hit the beaches in Waikiki. We hiked a trail (Wikiwikinui Trail, I think?) and it was amazing. We surfed in Haleiwa (amazing - North Shore Surf lessons - fabulous!), we snorkled in a few spots on the island. We also did Germaine's luau, which according to my friend who is a local, has the best hula show if you're looking to do that. My favorite things about our trip was the breakfast buffet at the resort - totally worth the extra $$, and these chocolates we got at Walmart called Toffee Macs. Toffee and macadamia nuts? Yes please!!!

Don't get bogged down in Honolulu. The island is so much better than just Honolulu. And make you island hop. We are going in a few years again and plan to hit the other islands this time.
    Did you stay at the Mariott resort, or the JW Mariott Ihilani Resort? When I lived in Hawaii, we went and stayed at Ihilani twice and it is by far the awesomest place I have ever been to. If I ever go back, that's where I'll stay. It is beautiful!!!!!

"It's on like bing bong!!!"

Post Thanks / Like
    We stayed at the Ihilani. Incredible... It was the best 6 days I've ever spent. I still have the exfoliating soap they put out in the bathrooms. I can't wait to go back!
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals... except the weasel."
    - Homer Simpson

6. Likes stormy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes! That place IS absolutely amazing!!!! I'll have to try and find some pictures and load 'em up here!

Post Thanks / Like
    The things that struck me about Hawaii was that as soon as I got off the plane it was so green. I mean GREEN!! It was definitely a tropical feel. I know it is an island, but it was so much better than I thought. I also loved that the lobby to the hotel was wide open, no doors or windows, just totally open. I definitely want to go back.

Post Thanks / Like
    I miss riding the bike up to kole-kole pass and then bombing down. Almost can get to the commissary without pedaling. Germaines was good but Polynesian is an all day thing. I'm glad I stayed 3 years minus 1 Iraq tour--I got to do the Honolulu things and Island local things multiple times

10. Likes stormy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We lived right off that main drag (if I remember right) that takes you up Kole Kole Pass. I can't imagine riding a bike up that thing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I was supposed to go to Hawaii for my first duty assignment out of AIT. The ex didn't want to be "stuck on some island in the middle of nowhere," so I got my orders amended. I was probably the only person in history to ever request their orders to Hawaii exchanged for Korea. So it was, I spent a year in freezy, steamy Hanguk. Before I deployed in 09, I went TDY to Hawaii for some pre-deployment training. When I saw where I would have lived for three, wonderful, balmy, beachy years, all the curses I had for that woman instantly took on new life.
    "There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal."

F.A. Hayek

13. Likes cnjbond liked this post
    LOL cnjbond, stormy, CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast