Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: eSP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, yes, YES!!!! That's it! Something simple and immediate....that's what parents need and want. The problem has been that they were most often seeing the IPR grade and not knowing or understanding what it was and how to find the correct, current grade average. Also, teachers didn't know or understand what parents were seeing, thus the confusion, complaints, and ill-will.

How soon can that be done? Does it have to be done by Sungard, or can we do it at the District level? We shouldn't have to wait another year or more to fix it.

And -- this is important -- if the fix is accomplished, we have to make sure that teachers and parents know about it. IMO, from Day One with eSchoolPlus, the biggest problem has been lack of training. Like 87Roo indicated, it might be great for support staff and their data, but it's been a nightmare for those of us using it for grades. Make this change, and then make sure that every teacher understands it. I, for one, will make sure that every single one of my students and their parents get the word. Even better, it would be great if the District could send out a global email blast to every email address that eSP has on our students' demographic information. It should NOT be complicated (very important)! Just to let them know that they can go online and how to get their password, etc. to check their students' current average in each class and these are the steps these are the steps -- 1, 2, 3.

I have never heard a teacher or a parent say that they like eSchoolPlus. Ever. It is clunky, confusing, and extremely user-unfriendly. From my viewpoint, Sungard is not good at being responsive to our needs. And, unfortunately, there has been a disconnect between KISD Computer Services and the classroom. Parents are confused and disgusted, and teachers have given up trying to make Computer Services understand how big the problem is. That being said, we can go a long way toward mending fences by fixing this one issue, training all concerned, and communicating the fix directly and quickly.
    It's not easier for secretaries, they're grumbling under their breath too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That sounds better, Fiona. But if the current grade average does not show on the opening page, there needs to be a big notice on that opening page that says something like...

FOR CURRENT AVERAGE, SELECT "CLASSWORK".

Simple, easy to follow.

But please understand that we might be a little concerned about any request to have Sungard make a change. Their changes and updates have not been something that we can count on happening quickly or even happening at all.

We're counting on you! Thanks for trying to help.
    We can not add text to the summary page but we can add text to the login page AND we can send an email out to all HAC account emails to tell them about the class work page, considering the updates that have been made to it, and to explain what IPR grades are and encourse them to use the classwork page for any current marking period averages. I appreciate the suggestions.

3. Thanks bbh thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds great!

I really, really hope that you don't think I'm overstepping here....but I've had to talk with a lot of upset parents, and from that, I think I know what they want because they've told me. I also think that it would help if you really listened to parents like Scarlett and siamcat who are also in the classroom. They see things from both sides. Suggestions....

Keep the email as simple as possible. All they want in the way of grades is to see if their kids are missing any assignments and what their current average is. I would leave IPR completely out of the message. It confuses them (frankly, it confuses us!). It would also be a good idea to avoid acronyms like "IPR," "HAC," "eSP," etc. That confuses them as well. They don't want to know what the capabilities or lack of capabilities are for eSP or about updates or anything like that. They just want to click a button and have their information. The #1 statement about eSP that I have heard from parents is (almost verbatim), "I tried to use it, but it's so confusing that I gave up." When I ask my students if they use it, they say the same thing.

We have to remember that most parents come in tired at night from a day at work. They don't have the time or the patience to deal with anything more than a quick answer to a quick question.

Just a suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like
    My students are lucky in that I can pull up MY kids grades and show them HOW to find their grades. But even they, as high school juniors in an AP class, are needing me to show them over and over. It is really just cumbersome.

P.S. BBH...did you get my log in information? If so, feel free to pull my kids grades up and use it in your class to show your kids how. If my kids didn't have such good grades I might not suggest that...haha. But really, your students will like to understand that and seeing it helps.

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." Thomas Paine

6. LOL siamcat LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I got it last night but haven't had time today to use it. That is a great idea, and I WILL use it with my classes! Thank you so much!!!!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6