Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ceiling Fan Blows

Post Thanks / Like

Ceiling Fan Blows

OK. I have a ceiling fan/light combination that is giving me fits. When set for winter use, blowing up against the ceiling, it works quite well. When I reverse the fan for summer use, at all speed settings, it blows the ground-fault circuit breaker. I don't have the time/energy to repair it. Does anyone know of a person who has the requisite skills to fix it? A new fan/light combination costs about $150 so the repair ought to cost somewhat less.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    if it were mine, i'd just change the gfc....mac

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK. I have a ceiling fan/light combination that is giving me fits. When set for winter use, blowing up against the ceiling, it works quite well. When I reverse the fan for summer use, at all speed settings, it blows the ground-fault circuit breaker. I don't have the time/energy to repair it. Does anyone know of a person who has the requisite skills to fix it? A new fan/light combination costs about $150 so the repair ought to cost somewhat less.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    if it were mine, i'd just change the gfc....mac
    If it were only the fan/ceiling light circuit I'd have no problem. That circuit however covers all the outlets in the Master Bedroom and I'm not sure what the code requirements are.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Ask the building inspector. They have all the requisite info and there should be no fee for them to come out to give you advice.
    The secret to longevity is to eat a live frog first thing each day. Then nothing worse will happen to either of you all day.
    M.Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    just pop out the one that's already in and it'll tell you every thing you need to know on the back of it.......and take it with you to lowes or home depot or aces...mac

Quote Originally Posted by THEMEANOGRE View Post
    Ask the building inspector. They have all the requisite info and there should be no fee for them to come out to give you advice.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm giving room for the possibility that there might be more in the room drawing current than the breaker was designed to handle. Ludwig may need to go up to the next amperage of breaker.
    The secret to longevity is to eat a live frog first thing each day. Then nothing worse will happen to either of you all day.
    M.Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    yeow......that's always possibility....kind of rare but always possible. it's generally a weak breaker and the more time a breaker pops, the weaker, or easier to pop, it gets.....especially GFIs....

EMEANOGRE;166856]I'm giving room for the possibility that there might be more in the room drawing current than the breaker was designed to handle. Ludwig may need to go up to the next amperage of breaker.[/QUOTE]

8. Likes harleygirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When they put the GCFI breaker on my pool it kept blowing. It was too small even though it was the exact same voltage? He put one that was just one step bigger seemed to make the difference. I've never had trouble with it since. Hope you figure it out cheaply.

I have a home warranty on my house, and I had to have some electrical work done. It cost me 60.00 for the visit, and they fixed everything I asked. Pretty good deal for a house built in the 70s.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK my friends. Call off the dogs. My fan blows, like a homo, in both directions now. We had an electrician come and and he found a short in the lower unit of the fan. It only cost $65 to get it all fixed. Thanks for all your input.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's exactly what I was thinking it was. A short in the fan!!!!

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast