Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cats invading yard

Post Thanks / Like

Cats invading yard

I have a neighbor who takes in every stray in the neighborhood and then lets them run wild. They urinate on my porch, my car and poop in my
    gardens, all around my house. Is there a humane way to keep this myriad of felines from invading my yard and using it as their litter box?

I live in the city of Killeen and thought there was an ordinance prohibiting owners from letting pets run loose.

Is it legal to trap them and take to Animal Control?

Any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, it's legal to trap them (in a box trap) and animal control will supply the trap and come out and pick up the cat once you got it trapped...mac

Quote Originally Posted by beaver View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a neighbor who takes in every stray in the neighborhood and then lets them run wild. They urinate on my porch, my car and poop in my
    gardens, all around my house. Is there a humane way to keep this myriad of felines from invading my yard and using it as their litter box?

I live in the city of Killeen and thought there was an ordinance prohibiting owners from letting pets run loose.

Is it legal to trap them and take to Animal Control?

Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    yes, it's legal to trap them (in a box trap) and animal control will supply the trap and come out and pick up the cat once you got it trapped...mac
    Not only is it legal, they appreciate our help. They do ask you for a $55 refundable deposit because too many of their traps have caught legs. I trap about 1 a month and animal control has always been happy to take them from me. I bought my own trap so I'm sure it's in good working order.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a pretty far drive but TAMU used to pay a few bucks for every cat you bring them. They use them in their Vet training program. When I lived in Bryan and College Station we never had troubles with stray cats.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

5. LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    wow....that's news to me....i knew nothing about the deposit, but then i use my own trap too. beats me how a cat could catch his leg in my have a heart....mac

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Not only is it legal, they appreciate our help. They do ask you for a $55 refundable deposit because too many of their traps have caught legs. I trap about 1 a month and animal control has always been happy to take them from me. I bought my own trap so I'm sure it's in good working order.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    wow....that's news to me....i knew nothing about the deposit, but then i use my own trap too. beats me how a cat could catch his leg in my have a heart....mac
    I was using a metaphor. Sorry about the misunderstanding. When I say that the trap "caught legs" I meant that people were taking them and not bringing them back... but you knew that, SA.

Post Thanks / Like
    actually, ludwig, i did NOT know that. i should've known that but didn't......i never had a trouble with these feral cats till i moved out here in hymesa. the way they react in the morning to see me coming toward them is unreal. i've never seen anything as ferocious as a trapped hymesa/heather glen feral cat.....and i ran a trap line as a kid!.....mac

I was using a metaphor. Sorry about the misunderstanding. When I say that the trap "caught legs" I meant that people were taking them and not bringing them back... but you knew that, SA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Every cat that gets itself caught in my trap is a feral cat, even if it's someone's pet. The only cat that's not feral is the one in the owner's house.

10. Likes lovekids liked this post
    LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    and the brethren all said AMEN!....mac

Every cat that gets itself caught in my trap is a feral cat, even if it's someone's pet. The only cat that's not feral is the one in the owner's house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beaver View Post
    Not only is it legal to trap them, but there used to be a limit on the number of yard type pets a resident could keep.
    There are a number of "remedies" for your problem. They can be ordered through all kinds of mail order catalogs < Carol Wright Gifts, Harriet Carter, etc>
    Check the website for Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs. There might be some herbs that cats find noxious that you could plant.
    Or how about this idea? Plant catnip and set a live trap next to it. That should help keep AC busy.
    The secret to longevity is to eat a live frog first thing each day. Then nothing worse will happen to either of you all day.
    M.Twain

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast