Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What the heck is this thing?!?

Post Thanks / Like

What the heck is this thing?!?

So we took in a cat a couple years ago, and for a series of reasons I have very little interaction with it. My wife got her spayed and all the other normal vet stuff done, and we took her in earlier this year I think and got her some dental work (a pretty nasty abcess). She is an outdoor cat 90% of the time. Long story short, I just noticed this thing on her ear earlier this week. My wife said she's been telling me about it for a while but I don't remember (insert marriage jokes here). We are making an appointment to the vet but I would like any insight as to what it might be, and if someone can ballpark the cost of treatment so I can prepare that would also be very helpful. Thanks in advance for any information.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	1888

Post Thanks / Like
    be careful, i just spent $540 bucks yesterday for exploratory surgery of what i thoght was a hernia!......mac

Quote Originally Posted by The Torii Fox View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So we took in a cat a couple years ago, and for a series of reasons I have very little interaction with it. My wife got her spayed and all the other normal vet stuff done, and we took her in earlier this year I think and got her some dental work (a pretty nasty abcess). She is an outdoor cat 90% of the time. Long story short, I just noticed this thing on her ear earlier this week. My wife said she's been telling me about it for a while but I don't remember (insert marriage jokes here). We are making an appointment to the vet but I would like any insight as to what it might be, and if someone can ballpark the cost of treatment so I can prepare that would also be very helpful. Thanks in advance for any information.Click image for larger version. 

Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am more than a little afraid of the potential expense, but it would cost more (in other than financial terms) to endure the ire of the wife and the tears of the kids... but there is kind of a balance point where I don't think I could jusitfy paying very much for a protracted illness. I hate to be that way, but money I put into a pet is money I am not putting away for my kids, and in my mind it is that simple.

4. Likes THEMEANOGRE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where is it located? I couldn't tell from the picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    On her ear. Sorry she was squirming while my wife held her. Hard to get a decent pic.

Post Thanks / Like
    She is an outdoor cat 90% of the time.Click image for larger version. 

My guess is that you have issues with squirrels and song birds in your domain. The vet will have to at least palpate that growth to have any idea. It could be a tumor, a hemotoma, a parasite of some sort, a cyst.... If she's a 90% outdoor cat, if she were mine she'd be a 100% underground cat before I spent a fortune on vet bills. My cat, in 8 years of her life ventured out of the house once, walked across the patio, touched grass, realized what she had done and made a beeline back indoors to love and safety.
    "A boy cannot become a girl and a man cannot become a woman, not even if he shuts his eyes and wishes really hard."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am more than a little afraid of the potential expense, but it would cost more (in other than financial terms) to endure the ire of the wife and the tears of the kids... but there is kind of a balance point where I don't think I could jusitfy paying very much for a protracted illness. I hate to be that way, but money I put into a pet is money I am not putting away for my kids, and in my mind it is that simple.
    Think about the amount of joy a pet brings to your family and you'll understand the worth of the pet to your kids. Taking care of a pet is taking care of your kids. Not taking care of the family pet is somewhat the opposite.

P.S. Since the pet is a cat it might be more forgiveable. But a dog - never.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    .... If she's a 90% outdoor cat, if she were mine she'd be a 100% underground cat before I spent a fortune on vet bills.
    What's a fortune to you? Why bother even having a pet if you're unwilling to fully care for it? I've spent a small fortune on vet bills (thousands of dollars) over the years on my dogs, especially my last dog before she died. I wish I didn't have to spend that kind of money but I don't begrudge spending it on them ether. My dogs are part of our family so I feel obligated. I think God put them here for us to bring us joy, and in return all HE expects, I think, is for us to take good care of them. Just saying...

10. Likes joyohjoy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dawglover View Post
    Think about the amount of joy a pet brings to your family and you'll understand the worth of the pet to your kids. Taking care of a pet is taking care of your kids. Not taking care of the family pet is somewhat the opposite.

P.S. Since the pet is a cat it might be more forgiveable. But a dog - never.
    I agree,up to a point. Philosophically I have never resolved whether the stuff that animates a "lesser creature" is the same as what animates human beings, so I can't honestly say whether it would be just as bad to euthanize one as the other, or to let one die without paying whatever the cost for treatment. I can only honestly say that the pets we currently have are not as important to me as what I could do for my family with the resources a long and expensive treatment regimen would require. If that makes me old-fashioned or even evil or cold-hearted, I am guilty. Part of it might be that I haven't warmed up to these cats (my wife had one before she took this one in), nor they to me. When I get a dog, and it becomes my buddy, I might feel different.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is difficult to tell from the picture. I would recommend having the cat examined and finding out what is going on. The picture suggests that this cat may be white or primarily white in color and there are some issues that can impact the ears of cats of this color.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast