Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Eubonics

Post Thanks / Like

Eubonics

I hope I came close in spelling Eubonics, it is the practice of saying he-b for he and she-b for she, etc.

A few years back my wife served as a secertary for varios councelors at Fairway, Mayor, and Nolan Mid School. During her time with KISD, she told me more than once that teachers were told not to grade down for the use of eubonie in written papers.

Last nigth I saw a story on TV about teachers in AZ not be allowed to grade-down of writting in accent, or something like that.

It is my hope that KISD is not tearching or allowing for the use of anything other than proper English, or as one might say, "the King's English.

As a matter of testimony, I have found over my 74 years that the most important subject/subjects to master to get ahead is/are the proper use of the English language and the ability to express yourself in writing and spoken speech.

Most of y'all have most likely read many of my post and you know I have problems with the written word. When I was in high school, I know and could recite the rules of grammer; however, I could not apply them. I found it too hard to learn and apply the King's English, so I began to write my papers with a West Texas, Oilfield slang. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!! Eventough, I managed to get out of high school, that poor decision has cost me dearly over the years.

MY POINT, PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T ALLOW POLITICIALLY CORRECTNESS TO INTERFERE WITH PROPER TEACHING.

My question is does KISD require the proper teaching of our language?
    Larry K. Cole
    U.S. Army Retired
    Real Estate Appraiser

Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD. Psalm 33:12

2. Likes CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." Thomas Paine

Post Thanks / Like
    Although I do have a child whose modifications say, "Do not deduct points for English written in Spanish." Not quite sure what that means....
    Do people read these things before they submit them? I mean ACTUALLY READ what they wrote? SMH.

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." Thomas Paine

5. LOL siamcat LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ebonics derives its form from ebony (black) and phonics (sound, the study of sound) and refers to the study of the language of black people in all its cultural uniqueness. However, Black English is far more commonly used than the term Ebonics.

Post Thanks / Like
    i thought it was eubonics, not ebonics and i also thought it was related to eugenics. shows you how much i know......mac
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was always taught that dialect or slang is fine when used while speaking to your friends.
    In writing and business only proper language should be used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Although I do have a child whose modifications say, "Do not deduct points for English written in Spanish." Not quite sure what that means....
    Do people read these things before they submit them? I mean ACTUALLY READ what they wrote? SMH.
    How do you write English in Spanish?
    Shouldn't it say words written in Spanish?

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Grumpy. I'm glad to hear that ebonic sentence structure is not ignored and graded as proper English.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by siamcat

How do you write English in Spanish?
    Shouldn't it say words written in Spanish?
    It should. That's why I was just shaking my head.
    When people "in charge" stop proof reading....oh my...

Post Thanks / Like
    corgi fan: please explain what this means. you're not saying that you're glad to hear that "she be fine" is as academically correct as "she is fine".......are you?...mac

Quote Originally Posted by corgifan View Post
    I agree with Grumpy. I'm glad to hear that ebonic sentence structure is not ignored and graded as proper English.
    Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast