Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Weight loss

Post Thanks / Like
    Losing weight is simple. Burn more calories than you consume. Hard to do when every place you go to supersizes everything. The key is portion size. You can still eat the same food, just train your stomach to be happy with less. The adjustment period for me was about 2 weeks. Now it seems normal.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

2. Likes ItsMe, CenTexDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Losing weight is simple. Burn more calories than you consume. Hard to do when every place you go to supersizes everything. The key is portion size. You can still eat the same food, just train your stomach to be happy with less. The adjustment period for me was about 2 weeks. Now it seems normal.
    Quick fixes are NOT the answer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    Quick fixes are NOT the answer!
    How is this a "quick fix"? Fad diets are a quick fix. Adkins, South beach, all carbs, no carbs, are all fads that may work for a while, but always fail. I know. I have had friends that tried all of them. The friends I have that HAVE lost weight and kept it off all use the "smaller portion" method and succeed. The problem most people have is that they either eat too much, or exercise not enough. There is a fine balance. The truth is that if you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. It's so simple that most people don't see it. The other problem is that people think they ought to be able to eat all they want, whatever they want, and be able to lose weight. Like my fat buddy at work who kept demanding that his doctor "give him a pill" to lose wieght. The doctor told him to eat less. He couldn't/wouldn't, and finally had his tummy stapled because he had no self control. It worked, for a while, until he figured out how to train his new tummy to accept more and more food. He wasted a bunch of money on the surgery. Losing weight requires discipline, which most people just don't have. I weigh 25 pounds less since I retired from the Army in 1989. All this by learning to control serving size. And I'm not starving either.
    If you do not read the news you are uninformed. If you do you are misinformed. Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    The lapband has fixed my eating problems.the tighter the band gets.the less I eat.neat concept

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtruk_us View Post
    The lapband has fixed my eating problems.the tighter the band gets.the less I eat.neat concept
    If the person who has it done sticks to the program, they do well. To me, losing weight is like quitting smoking...You really have to want to do it or you fail. Like Mark Twain once said "Quitting smoking is the easiest thing in the world, I've done it hundreds of times". Weight loss is 90% attitude combined with a lot of will power.

7. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
    LOL CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like eating too much. I see my weight as an undesirable byproduct of doing what I enjoy... kind of like pregnancy.

9. LOL Night Owl, CenTexDave, liessemsed LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dang Ludwig where did your sense of humor come from. It is getting better every day.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

11. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I like eating too much. I see my weight as an undesirable byproduct of doing what I enjoy... kind of like pregnancy.

Yeah, there comes a time in life when you look in the mirror and say "screw it, who am I trying to impress" and just do what you want. It's not like were trying to impress women any more, so why bother. When the last time you got a piece of a$$ was when your finger broke through the toilet paper, you say "supersize me", what the heck.

13. Thanks CenTexDave thanked this post
    LOL Night Owl, CenTexDave LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner truth View Post
    How is this a "quick fix"? Fad diets are a quick fix. Adkins, South beach, all carbs, no carbs, are all fads that may work for a while, but always fail. I know. I have had friends that tried all of them. The friends I have that HAVE lost weight and kept it off all use the "smaller portion" method and succeed. The problem most people have is that they either eat too much, or exercise not enough. There is a fine balance. The truth is that if you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. It's so simple that most people don't see it. The other problem is that people think they ought to be able to eat all they want, whatever they want, and be able to lose weight. Like my fat buddy at work who kept demanding that his doctor "give him a pill" to lose wieght. The doctor told him to eat less. He couldn't/wouldn't, and finally had his tummy stapled because he had no self control. It worked, for a while, until he figured out how to train his new tummy to accept more and more food. He wasted a bunch of money on the surgery. Losing weight requires discipline, which most people just don't have. I weigh 25 pounds less since I retired from the Army in 1989. All this by learning to control serving size. And I'm not starving either.

Sorry...not you not your comment...I was in agreement with you. I was just adding on to yours that quick fixes are not the way to go, what you were saying was correct! Sorry should have been more clear. The rest of the post is this section want to try all these centers with all this funny business and that's def not the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    Sorry...not you not your comment...I was in agreement with you. I was just adding on to yours that quick fixes are not the way to go, what you were saying was correct! Sorry should have been more clear. The rest of the post is this section want to try all these centers with all this funny business and that's def not the way to go.
    OK, my bad. My wifes fighting weight control right now, and actually gets mad because I lose while she gains. I tell her to observe the difference between our serving sizes and how we exercise. I really ticked her off when I told her what she needed was the "don't put the stuff in your mouth" diet. That did not go over well. Problem is people want to be their slim trim old selves, but they don't want to do what is really needed. Calorie control. If you do want to eat a lot, OK, but then you have to burn those calories off. There is no magic formula. Gyms are OK. They give you an entertainment factor if nothing else. Nothing beats good cardio maximum heart rate participation for burning calories, which is why so many don't lose weight. Its hard!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast