Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ice cubes harmful to dogs - Fact or fiction?

Post Thanks / Like

Ice cubes harmful to dogs - Fact or fiction?

http://www.examiner.com/la-in-los-an...ile_redirect=1

Dr. Buckley, what is your opinion on this? Does feeding ice cubes to your dogs expose them to the dangers of Bloat?
    I am afraid we must make the world honest before we can honestly say to our children that honesty is the best policy. George Bernard Shaw
    BE A RESPONSIBLE PET OWNER

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm...My dogs have eaten ice cubes forever, and it has never hurt them. Isn't it just like drinking water? My dog drinks out of my swimming pool, so I don't see how ice cubes will hurt him. I await the response.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would speculate that ice would have a similar effect on canines that it has on humans. When allowed to become over heated a person that tries to cool off quickly by the ingestion of iced beverages can run the risk of suffering a cardiac incident.
    The secret to longevity is to eat a live frog first thing each day. Then nothing worse will happen to either of you all day.
    M.Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Dr. Ogre, DVM.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

5. LOL Night Owl, Scarlett, pioneer, SamBrown, cnjbond and 1 others LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think there are many factors that contribute to bloat (or GDV). I have never seen anything other than anecdotal evidence that ice cubes or ice cubes in water contribute in any way to increasing the chance of bloat. I think in the story in the link provided that other factors are at play. These dogs are show dogs that have the stresses and strains associated with that endeavor. There is also a known breed and body type correlation that is well known as it relates to bloat and the risk of bloat.

I think consistent and scheduled feeding of a quality and highly digestible food along with providing adequate amounts of fresh water that is readily and consistently available is an important factor in preventing bloat. Ice cubes are not necessary to manage heat related events in dogs just keeping their environment cool, shaded and their activity limited in extreme heat is important.

Saw this on a vet clinic sign in Austin this weekend.....

Heat stroke is not a joke
    Water, water, water

Simple but to the point.

7. Thanks dawglover thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's hope this is not true! My girl LOEVS ice... In the summer I fills the water bowl outside with water and ice. If I leave Cane outside after I put ice water, I will have to fill it up again... She will dig and scratch the ice out and then will put her face in up to her eyes to get a cube... She also comes running when we get ice out of the ice maker.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8916.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	1728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8920.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	1729

9. Likes SamBrown, finalbowser liked this post
    LOL THEMEANOGRE, dawglover LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    She also comes running when we get ice out of the ice maker.
    LOL, mine too!
    I thought for a moment today after reading this, but I still gave in and gave them their "treat".

11. Likes spedkiddos liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a dog growing up that would not drink her water without ice in it, she had been raised at a gas station where they had taught her how to drink out of the water fountain. When we got her she would drink nothing except VERY cold water.
    "What you do, who you’re with, and how you feel about the world around you, is completely up to you."

Mike Rowe

Post Thanks / Like
    I put ice in the water bucket throughout the summer as our tab water is way more than luke warm at this time of year. None of mine like ice straight. They do drink huge amounts of water when its so hot, even though all three are "air condition babies".
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like
    My mom has to use the child lock on the freezer door ice dispenser cause her dog will go hit it with his nose until ice spits out across the floor...then he will go eat them up! Not that bad of a thing...except if one gets away from him and melts and you walk through the kitchen in sock feet....

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." Thomas Paine

15. Likes poundpup liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast