Thread: Ringworm

Post Thanks / Like

Ringworm

We went to Kansas and my girls played with my parent's barn cats. I just found a ringworm on each of them.
    I have heard that Lamisil works for the kids...or a liquid athletes food medicine.
    What do you suggest?

My second question is....do you think my two house cats would have got this from my daughters? They obviously weren't around the cats...but my girls hold my cats daily. How do I tell and what do I do? This is all new to me!!!

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." Thomas Paine

Cedarwhackerville, Bell County-7 Generations
    Post Thanks / Like
    I looked at the Mayo Clinic site, and Lamasil is one of the topical meds recommended. When in was little, my mother put the huge fear into us not to touch stray animals for that reason. I remember kids in my elementary school who had it...apparently not fatal!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still here so it is not fatal. And Now you know why I don't like cats.

TEXAS has a balanced budget.

Jesus Saves, even Agnostics.

Draining the Swamp is a tough job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cats eat birds. Now you know why I like them.

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." Thomas Paine

5. LOL SamBrown LOL'd at this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Turpentine or paint thinner is what we used to put on the cows and ourselves when I was growing up...

Post Thanks / Like
    Ringworm can be transmitted from the kids to the cats though typically it is transmitted the other way. Treat kids aggressively and clean and wash any areas that the kids and cats could share (pillow cases, rugs, etc). I would also restrict the kids from handling the cats until their symptoms resolve. Remember that fomites, or inanimate objects, can harbor the fungus and serve as a means of transmission to all involved.

At least it's not really a worm...........it's just a fungus!!!