Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: South African Boerboel

Post Thanks / Like

South African Boerboel

Later this week I will be receiving a Boreboel that has been donated to me, so I can get her trained and hopefully use as a therapy dog. I'm a SPED teacher and I also volunteer at a couple of different places with sick or special needs children. The lady that I'm getting her from said that she may have an umbilical cord hernia. Is something I need to worry about, or will it heal with time? The puppy is 8 weeks old. I've done quite a bit of research on the breed and from what I've read and what the breeder has told me they make a good therapy dog. I would love any information on having a dog trained, and if anyone has any first hand info on Boerboels that would be great. I've looked online and Petco's has the training classes which include good citizen classes, which will help prepare you for the therapy dog training. If you know of any other places I can go to get all of the training, please let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Call Parks and Rec. They have a really awesome dog and puppy training class. It is cheaper than Pets Mart and the class size is also smaller.

3. Thanks spedkiddos, SamBrown thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot... Killeen or Heights?

Post Thanks / Like
    Killeen. If I remember tomorrow I will look through the papers/ certificates that I have and find the lady's name that does it. She worked wonders with my crazy hyper dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have this pup examined as soon as possible and make sure that you have a proper vaccine protocol in place. Spring time in Central Texas is prime parvo and distemper season so pups must be protected. Also make sure that the umbilical hernia is checked out as well. These hernias are usually no big deal unless they are of sufficient size where a piece of intestine can become entrapped within. Umbilical hernias can be repaired easily when she is spayed.

Congratulations on your new addition and I wish you well with the training and I commend you for your therapy dog work. Therapy dogs make such a difference in the lives of so many people. Good luck.

7. Thanks spedkiddos, Deb thanked this post
    Likes Deb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    well it looks like I won't be getting her this weekend, maybe next weekend. She is coming from Ohio and the weather is not cooperating (from what the breeder says)! I plan on having her checked out when I get her. I hope the reason she was not able to come this week is because of the weather and not the hernia. I don't know if that would keep the vet up there from clearing her to fly or not. I know she is going to be a big dog, but she is 25 pounds at 8 weeks, that seems like a little chunk!

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't worry too much about that hernia. It is very seldom that I see an umbilical hernia that threatens the health of a puppy. As for the weather, I do know that some airlines will not fly an animal if certain extremes of temperature are expected or if weather delays are expected. 25 POUNDS AT 8 WEEKS!!!! Wow, I bet her feet are the size of saucers. That is too cool. Congrats again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can we see a picture of her once you get her? Please! I would love to see what she looks like; I did not know there was such a breed. See, even we teachers NEVER stop learning
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spedkiddos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Later this week I will be receiving a Boreboel that has been donated to me....
    Are you sure you want to do this? Kind of reminds me of the time I thought I wanted a horse. When I got her, reality set in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boerboel.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Spartan I don't think she will be that big, I've seen pics of parents, mom is only 135 and dad is 175. I have an "old girl" now that is about 85 pounds, so at least I'm not going from having a small dog to a large dog. I'm excited, but the way it's going she's going to be over 30 pounds before she gets here! Sam, here's a couple of pics of my girl, but these were taken when she was about 5 weeks old and between 15 & 18 pounds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cane.jpg  

13. Thanks SamBrown thanked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast