Ceteris Parebus

1. Tab Dump!!

Ok, I was trying to post all these articles I had read over the week and meant to post about. My browser is complaining about the weight though, so I was going to post them all.

No, screw that. I have 40 tabs open, 30 of them interesting and relevant news stuff. So I'm just going to post the rest of the links here. If anyone actually reads this part of the forum, and wants to post the full article, go for it.

Maybe the copy key got stuck on the presidential speechwriter's keyboard.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. The Rhetorical Power of WAAAAAAAH!!

When we imbue every perceived offense with such incredible rhetorical value, it should come as no surprise when it becomes the universal currency of debate.

It's amazing. Even the most mundane thing becomes a source of high dudgeon. Put some fortune cookies in ice cream, and witness the wailing and gnashing of teeth. Burn some books, and watch people lose their minds and go on shooting rampages.

Are people really this sensitive? Or are they merely exploiting a bubble ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. How the Police are Turning Military

by David Rittgers

David Rittgers, a legal policy analyst at the Cato Institute, served three tours in Afghanistan as a special forces officer.

The sheriff's office in Pima County, Ariz., raided the home of former Marine and Iraq combat veteran Jose Guerena, shooting 71 rounds at Guerena and hitting him with 22. The department is now facing a serious controversy over Guerena's death.

But the raid isn't the real tragedy. It's a symptom of the real tragedy: ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Dissecting the Standard Model

5. Congress and Insider Trading

Compared to ordinary investors, US Congress members get huge returns on their investments, presumably via their inside line on upcoming government actions. In particular, Congress gets inside info on upcoming US-backed coups, and someone has been trading lots on that info. Gee I wonder who …
    Researchers examined 16,000 common stock transactions made by … 300 House representatives from 1985 to 2001, and found … portfolios based on congressional trades beating the market by about 6 percent ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast