PDA

View Full Version : Outside Pets and cold weather

Pumpkingirl
January 31st, 2011, 8:00 PM
I am completely freaking out over the weather report AND the fact that we have an outside dog.
YES she does have a very well built dog house (kinda hubby's pride and joy), yes it is filled with about 4 blankets and we even went and bought 3 heavy duty plastic mats that we nailed on top.....Still they say its going to get to 15 degrees.
WE DON'T have a garage...a carport. We have moved the dog house out of blowing wind but still...........so worried.
If we bring her in the house, we are talking 150 lbs of un HOUSE trained chaos.
I know, I know I will hear the usual "hater's" on this site who will knock this thread down BUT I really would like to know from people who have experienced this or perhaps a professional.
Do we have any worries leaving her outside? Are there any further percautions we can take to make sure she is safe?
Thanks so much.

Night Owl
January 31st, 2011, 8:18 PM
What kind of dog? Long hair or short? Best advice is put the pup in the bathroom and shut the door. Hard to mess up a bathroom. Put one or two of his blankets on the floor. If that is not possible move the dog house against the house and make sure the wind can't blow into it. Also put a light bulb in the house. It will keep the house warmer. Be sure the pup cant get hurt. Best of luck.

xzochye
January 31st, 2011, 8:33 PM
I disagree with the bathroom. If the dog is not house trained or used to being confined in small places he might tear up the door or walls trying to get out.

I have heard that if you move the dog house as close to the house as possible it will absorb a small amount of heat from the house. Also, try putting something in the doghouse to raise his bedding up off of the floor a little bit. Try putting some type of heavy flap over the doorway to keep the wind out. Maybe you can also try getting him a sweater and little booties. I think those things are silly for dress up purposes but may help in keeping him warm.

lovekids
January 31st, 2011, 9:00 PM
With all the things your dog has...house, blankets, and keeping him out of the wind, etc, he should be fine outside...just make sure that he has fresh water that doesn't freeze. I've always had outside dogs, and they've made it just fine.

siamcat
February 1st, 2011, 9:48 PM
I think your dog will be fine.
He has blankets to burrow under, you moved the doghouse out of the wind, you covered the door to keep wind from blowing in ....
My pets are indoor so I don't have any personal experience , but you love your dog and if you can't move the dog to an indoor location and it's used to being outdoors it should be fine.

CenTexDave
February 1st, 2011, 11:07 PM
Past experience has shown you should have no worries. His water bowl will, no doubt, turn into a block of ice, so be sure to get him fresh water first thing in the morning.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
February 2nd, 2011, 11:30 AM
My Great Dane is both inside and outside so during this very cold weather she doesn't stray very far from the foot of my bed. I do have some outside cats that I have acquired (barn cats, etc) and I have allowed them access to my garage and set up a small heater (the electric fan type, available at Lowe's for about $16) and have put down some patio furniture cushions and they are all migrating to that warm area. As for an outside dog, I would make certain that the wind is blocked and something is available so that they don't have to sleep on cold concrete if bringing them inside is impossible. Watch out for frozen water bowls and be careful with heaters as they can be a fire hazard but the fan type seem to be more safe.

I believe that it is appropriate to provide shelter either in the house or the garage for pets during this extremely cold and prolonged wintery mix. Some can be destructive but pets in this area are just not acclimated to the prolonged freezing temps. I'm sure that some dogs will be just fine outside if certain accomodations are made but I recommend bringing them in and just dealing with it during these frigid times.

engteach64
February 2nd, 2011, 4:19 PM
I would suggest bringing your dog in the house every now and then (just randomly). Let the dog sniff around and play with him for a bit, then take him back out. At least this way you can gradually teach him that when he is in the house there is a certain way to behave. He may love those golden opportunities to be indoors with you and be very well behaved. :)

FieryPrincess
February 2nd, 2011, 8:19 PM
Hay in the dog house is also helpful.

I would also like to add that indoor training is possible. My dad had a dog that seemed barely domesticated - he would happily sleep outside in any weather and could stare down other dogs rather than have to fight them.

We would bring in occasionally and our worst problem with him was that he could just lean over and eat from the center of the table. No jumping needed. He was a 165# Rottweiler who could stand on his back legs and put his front feet on my 6'3" dad's shoulders. He still learned quickly and wanted to behave properly in the house.

A walk first might also help.

Black Jack
February 2nd, 2011, 9:20 PM
How do you keep the water bowl from freezing in these temps? Is that even possible?

Scarlett
February 2nd, 2011, 9:29 PM
How do you keep the water bowl from freezing in these temps? Is that even possible?

No.

My parents who live in a much colder state bought electric water buckets for outside animals. But on days with no power, guess those aren't much help either.

engteach64
February 2nd, 2011, 10:27 PM
They sell a heater for animal bowls. When we lived in Iowa we had one that we put in their water bowl. The center of the bowl was always thawed. It was pretty cheap. We got it at a farm supply store, so don't know where you'd get one here. It is about the size a a raquet ball racket, maybe smaller.

Scarlett
February 3rd, 2011, 7:49 AM
Racquetball.
Nobody ever spells that word right...LOL
(Even at the gym, on post, it says "Racketball" on the door that holds their supplies...shameful....)

Sorry, way way way off topic. (I just LOVE that game!!!)

JoAnn Purser
February 3rd, 2011, 8:02 AM
I have 4 dogs that are outside pets and have been bringing them in lately with the colder temps and they actually know now the drill. I have blocked a room off with chairs and boxes so they are on floor tile and "their" smelly beds. It is a temporary odor but they are safe. I rest well knowing they are not freezing. Can't wait for the snow and their reaction to it tomorrow. Watching them was great fun last year April.

Spartan
February 3rd, 2011, 10:58 AM
My son-in-law is having to haul water to his herd (2 ea.) of cows and his flock (1 ea.) of sheep from the house. I told him not to get such BIG pets. His pride (6 ea.) of cats, and pack (8 ea.) of miniature Poms are in the house.

Pumpkingirl
February 3rd, 2011, 11:03 AM
Well here is the conclusion to our dog dilemma.

Doggie Sweater 25.00 (destroyed within an hour)
3 cut-up sweatshirts, tied and safety pinned on (destroyed within 2 hours)
Dog house against our house, 2 EXTRA blankets, warm water changes every hour (still couldn't take it)
Big hunking kennel bought at 10 pm at Walmart - PRICELESS
She has done GREAT in the house, after a good bath and a soft comforter put inside. Actually a good purchase as well because on hot days (how I miss those) she can come inside for some cool air as well. Thanks for all the great tips.

engteach64
February 3rd, 2011, 3:49 PM
I'm glad you were able to work it out. I bet your dog loves the treat of being in with you too. :)