PDA

View Full Version : Sprint Cup ratings down for all but five events in 2010

TheOldProgrammer
January 5th, 2011, 3:25 PM
I don't find this surprising...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/blog/from_the_marbles/post/Sprint-Cup-ratings-down-for-all-but-five-events-;_ylt=AqjUMwoTf3N2L1r5LAqR7Ojov7YF?urn=nascar-302830

:smoke

gnatsum
January 5th, 2011, 3:39 PM
Some fans HATE Larry Mac and DW on Fox. Some hate Kyle Petty on TNT. Others can't stand Rusty on ABC/ESPN! Some fans even hate Tim Brewer's 'tech show' "interruptions" during the race...
The "fans are dropping cable because of the economy" MIGHT make sense IF the ratings for the other major sports show similar ratings drops. Of course, that doesn't explain the fall in Fox's ratings...
I like the comments from fans who want to see "stock" cars back in NASCAR...as if a stock-bodied Ford Fusion is going to be able to run a 29-second lap at Texas Motor Speedway with a 5.8-litre V8 under the stock hood, and with the required roll cage...:))

corgifan
January 5th, 2011, 10:53 PM
It doesn't help that Jimmie Johnson, an unpopular driver, wins the points competition every year.

TheOldProgrammer
January 6th, 2011, 6:56 AM
You both make good points but 'gnatsum' you missed Jeff Hammond on FOX...though at least they tend to wait until caution periods...

'corgifan'; people are also tired of hearing how 'great' Dale Jr is when he clearly can't get out of his own way... And it won't be any different next season with a new crew chief... :smoke

madasheck
January 7th, 2011, 4:41 PM
I was a big supporter of Nascar in the past, but I'm not anymore. When they became sponsored by the Ethanol Lobby, I have decided to boycott them. I hate ethanol!!!!

Rick
January 7th, 2011, 4:54 PM
I don't give a rat's a$$ about ratings and I agree with damn near every reason as to why. But the important thing is that...

The Daytona 500 is next month!!!! Yippeeeeee!

corgifan
January 8th, 2011, 10:20 PM
I've never understood the wisdom of running the premier event to start the year.

Rick
January 8th, 2011, 10:44 PM
It certainly isn't unwise. It's winter for most of the country, the only other sport going on is basketball...yawn.

It's not like other sports where they have playoffs and then the World Series or SuperBowl.

If they wait until the end of the year, the championship is usually down to a few and they compete for audience with football.

TheOldProgrammer
January 9th, 2011, 5:42 AM
Rick, ya missed hockey... Bigger yawn!!

The NBA has playoffs also... NA$CAR considers the 10-race Chase to be a playoff...

The reason that happens is because the (NA$CAR) season is too long...
:smoke

wolfcub
January 9th, 2011, 7:16 AM
NASCAR is sigle handedly destroying thier fan base with inconsistent rule making and enforcement and their continued lust for greed of the almighty dollar versus racing

corgifan
January 9th, 2011, 11:52 AM
It's not like the 500 is the only time they race at that venue for the year. I know that Daytona is the most loved course. Why not a 400 mile race to start the season there? There would be just as much interest, and it would make things all that much more exciting if they held it at the end of the year. Personally I find the "10 Race Chase" BS.

Rick
January 9th, 2011, 12:17 PM
It wouldn't make it more exciting if 40 of the 43 teams were out of contention for the championship.

It's the speedweeks that is unique. The Shootout, qualifying for the front row, then twin qualifying races to set the rest of the field, culminating in the Daytona 500. It's a great way to start the season!

TheOldProgrammer
January 10th, 2011, 7:20 AM
If NA$CAR insists on continuing the BS Chase for the Cup, here's a simple solution:

Reset the top 12, or 15 as they're talking, drivers points to zero... Nothing extra for winning a race or races...

Award points, after each race, based on the same system as the "regular" season...

Those who don't make the chase continue from where they are...

Then we'll see who the 'real' drivers are...

Too simple? :smoke