PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys Next Head Coach

cnjbond
January 5th, 2011, 9:29 AM
The signs are pointing to Garrett becoming the next HC of the Cowboys. I think he did a pretty good job as interim but not sure if he's the long term answer. He's definitely got the disciplinarian part down...now if we could just get JJ to quit medling so much and give his HC more control!

Night Owl
January 5th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Jones needs to hire someone and keep him for the long term come hell or high water.

CenTexDave
January 5th, 2011, 2:01 PM
Not many out there who would bother putting up with Jones' antics.
While Bill Cowher would probably be the ultimate, he'd tell Jones to shove it in a heartbeat. Besides, Cleveland is looking for a coach and Cowher has Browns' ties - played for them and usually beat them during his coaching reign.
The problem with the Cowboys is much more than a coach. Most of those "superstar" players are a step slower and ready for the waiver wire. Might want to find a good placekicker, too.

cnjbond
January 6th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Just heard on Sports Center that Garrett is scheduled to be announced as the next HC!

CenTexDave
January 6th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Good enough. Now hire a good defensive coordinator and draft well. Your OL sucks and your defensive players, except for Ware, Ratliff and a couple of others, are washed up.
Find a placekicker, too.

cnjbond
January 6th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Todd Bowles (sp?) is rumored to be the next DC, I believe he was the secondary coach under Parcells.

CenTexDave
January 6th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I see the Texans jumped on Wade Phillips and made him their defensive coordinator.
He is good at that.
Dave Wannstadt, former Cowboys defensive coordinator under Jimmy Johnson, Bears head coach, and Univ of Pittsburgh head coach is now free. Grab him quick.

dawglover
January 6th, 2011, 1:40 PM
The signs are pointing to Garrett becoming the next HC of the Cowboys. I think he did a pretty good job as interim but not sure if he's the long term answer. He's definitely got the disciplinarian part down...now if we could just get JJ to quit medling so much and give his HC more control!

I'm okay with Garrett. He was destined to be an NFL head coach somewhere anyway. I have a gut feeling that he can make it happen for the Cowboys.

dawglover
January 6th, 2011, 1:41 PM
I see the Texans jumped on Wade Phillips and made him their defensive coordinator.
He is good at that.
Dave Wannstadt, former Cowboys defensive coordinator under Jimmy Johnson, Bears head coach, and Univ of Pittsburgh head coach is now free. Grab him quick.

That's all he was ever good at - Defense.

CenTexDave
January 6th, 2011, 1:47 PM
And what do the Cowboys need now? D E F E N S E!!!!!!!!!!!!! And a placekicker.

dawglover
January 6th, 2011, 1:51 PM
And what do the Cowboys need now? D E F E N S E!!!!!!!!!!!!! And a placekicker.

Yeah, but you can't demote the guy and ask him to work for his subordinate. That would be very awkward. Better to make a lean break and then bring in a new defensive coordinator.

Spartan
January 6th, 2011, 4:05 PM
IMHO, it's going to take a lot of money to find a competent coach who is willing to be Jones' b*tch. If that turkey, Jones, would learn to stay up in the box and away from the bench, then he'd have a lot better team.

CenTexDave
January 6th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Yeah, but you can't demote the guy and ask him to work for his subordinate. That would be very awkward. Better to make a lean break and then bring in a new defensive coordinator.

Thought he meant Wanstadtt. He was a helluva good defensive coordinator.
You wouldn't want Wade Phillips as D coordinator of the Cowboys, although he is a good D coordinator. Would just cause problems.

cnjbond
January 7th, 2011, 8:28 AM
Here's what JJ had to say about giving Garrett the reigns on making decisions:

"I want to be real clear," said Jones, interrupting Garrett during his introductory news conference. "We're going to operate on the basis that he [Garrett] has the final say on any person on this staff, period. That's on the staff now, remaining on the staff, or joining the staff."
Dallasnews.com (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/010711dnspogarrettfraleycolumn.7f7b6e.html)

I wonder if he'll keep his word...

TheOldProgrammer
January 7th, 2011, 8:43 AM
I presume that was a rhetorical question... 8-;

Garrett will have the final say when JJ says he has the final say... That's a fact... Couldn't you see JJ pulling the strings during the press conference yesterday? :smoke

cnjbond
January 7th, 2011, 1:25 PM
I meant to bold the "interrupting" part to show how much control he's giving Garrett.

Rick
January 7th, 2011, 4:33 PM
Bolded!

Too funny!

cnjbond
January 7th, 2011, 5:22 PM
Who is the man,
That would change the font for his fellow man,
RICK!!
Gracias!!!

Rick
January 7th, 2011, 5:45 PM
lol no problem.

cnjbond
January 15th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Looks like Garrett has made his decision on the next defensive coordinator....none other than Rob Ryan, the former Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator. I didn't see any of the Browns games this year to base an opinion on his schemes, but hey he's a Ryan so that's got to be worth something!

CenTexDave
January 15th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Actually, he's a pretty good defensive coordinator. The Browns' ills the past few years haven't been on the defense, although they did get blown out by Pissburgh the last game of the year.