PDA

View Full Version : The Upgraded Software...Take Look

Rick
January 1st, 2011, 8:09 PM
Would anyone like a sneak peak? http://www.centextalk.com/forum/

Your current login is the same.

Still a lot of work to do, especially on the Front Page, but I think they have FINALLY worked a lot of bugs out of it. I am starting to become very impressed.

P.S. The database is as it was this morning, so the latest messages here are not there.

Keep in mind, this is just a test preview. Anything posted on the new site will disappear.

Let me know what you think of it.

Night Owl
January 1st, 2011, 8:48 PM
Looks great. I will have to learn more than I know now to get the full benefit.

Rick
January 1st, 2011, 9:11 PM
So will I.

cnjbond
January 1st, 2011, 10:28 PM
Doesn't seem to be too much different than this one...shouldn't be too hard for us to transition.

kantwin
January 2nd, 2011, 6:54 AM
In my opinion, switching over to the new software will take a little getting used to for the users, but it's really no different than getting used to different discussion boards (believe it or not, there's more than CenTexTalk out there!) From a user perspective, the same buttons / links / tools are there, just in different places.
I would like it if it were able to go full screen width. The current board does.
After I posted a test message, I don't understand what the little "piece of paper" icon is. Hover over it, it says "Default".

Rick
January 2nd, 2011, 8:50 AM
The screen width is an issue to me as well. On my phone and mini computer, it is full. On my desktop 21" screen it isn't.

The little page thing showed that it wad the default Post Icon. I turned that off.

The style I selected might be adding to some of the "confusion" I am sending Scarlett out shopping for a potential new one. :)

If anyone wants to add their opinion about what they'd like to see, feel free to do so. Just Google Vbulletin skins or styles then post the link here. It is version 4.1.

I am making the front page less busy as well. I was able to add a Weather widget and am playing with the layout.

I have not added that address to Tapatalk or Forumrunner yet. Will let you all know when I do.

Thanks for the input. Making changes like this is scary. I don't want to run people off, plus, I seem to remember being cussed out the first time we did it. :-s But it proved to have been a wise choice.

User input is very helpful.

kantwin
January 2nd, 2011, 10:09 AM
The screen width seems to be full screen, and scalable now. I can stretch my browser across both monitors, and it scales.

kantwin
January 2nd, 2011, 10:11 AM
Weather widget link (to take to your profile to enter your ZIP code) doesn't seem to work.
I added my ZIP code in my profile, and the weather widget showed correctly.

Scarlett
January 2nd, 2011, 10:18 AM
I am crawling out of bed to do my shopping part now darn it....last darn day of vaca and I am being put to work...*mumble curse mutter under breath*

Rick
January 2nd, 2011, 10:30 AM
I found and changed the page width variable.

Also, fixed the coding error in the Zip Code link.

Thanks.

Rick
January 2nd, 2011, 10:31 AM
I am crawling out of bed to do my shopping part now darn it....last darn day of vaca and I am being put to work...*mumble curse mutter under breath*
:bluerofl are you really complaining about shopping?

Scarlett
January 2nd, 2011, 11:17 AM
Ok...I shopped...and turns out I like the same one you like. How the hell did that happen?

Rick
January 2nd, 2011, 11:20 AM
I have good taste and it's contagious. What can I say?

Night Owl
January 2nd, 2011, 1:15 PM
Ok...I shopped...and turns out I like the same one you like. How the hell did that happen?

You just took the easy way out and are just stroking Rick's ego.8-;:))

Scarlett
January 2nd, 2011, 1:24 PM
Well hell, they all look a lot alike and none come in hot pink so what could I do?

Rick
January 2nd, 2011, 1:35 PM
And if they had a pink one it would be as if they didn't.

Here's where we were looking. Click on the Demo for each one and you'll see the style on a full forum.

http://www.vbstyles.com/

Rick
January 2nd, 2011, 2:54 PM
Here ya go Scarlett.

http://www.vbinspired.com/vb4test/forum.php?styleid=30

Scarlett
January 2nd, 2011, 3:50 PM
Yep. THAT'S the one. Perfect.

Night Owl
January 2nd, 2011, 4:46 PM
stroke, stroke, stroke!!! Good job!!!:)

Rick
January 2nd, 2011, 4:46 PM
LOL We'd all have to wear sunglasses.

Night Owl
January 2nd, 2011, 4:50 PM
Here ya go Scarlett.

http://www.vbinspired.com/vb4test/forum.php?styleid=30

Oh HELL NO!!!!!

Scarlett
January 2nd, 2011, 4:54 PM
Oh HELL NO!!!!!

Aww, what's wrong? Sucking the manhood outta ya? Can't handle it?

Rick
January 2nd, 2011, 4:55 PM
Suck, would be an appropriate description.

Scarlett
January 2nd, 2011, 4:57 PM
Oh COME ON already...it is pretty!
I like pink.
Can't y'all just go with it for a while? For me? Pllleeeaaazzzeeeee.

cnjbond
January 2nd, 2011, 5:16 PM
Oh wow, that's horrible!!! It's like looking at a crazy Hello Kitty themed Myspace page!

Texas Immigrant
January 2nd, 2011, 5:31 PM
It makes it look like my computer threw up Pepto-Bismal.

Spartan
January 2nd, 2011, 5:41 PM
I close my eyes and the image remains. I think I'm going to be sick. I have no objection to occasional pink but that is just too much.

Rick
January 2nd, 2011, 5:56 PM
It makes it look like my computer threw up Pepto-Bismal.
:bluerofl

Night Owl
January 2nd, 2011, 6:20 PM
Aww, what's wrong? Sucking the manhood outta ya? Can't handle it?
You hit the nail on the head!!!!!

Night Owl
January 2nd, 2011, 6:21 PM
Oh COME ON already...it is pretty!
I like pink.
Can't y'all just go with it for a while? For me? Pllleeeaaazzzeeeee.

Rick let me answer pleaseeeeee!!! Not no, but NO Flippin' way!!!!!:))

Rick
January 2nd, 2011, 6:35 PM
Ok, since she said "Pllleeeaaazzzeeeee"

I installed it, (the joys of having a test forum...haha) anyone wanting their retinas burnt out, can go to the bottom left corner of the page and select it.

Anyone who is interested, can also see what the default colors look like.

The pink only works on the forum, not the front content page.

THEMEANOGRE
January 2nd, 2011, 7:11 PM
From the commentary, I think I'm glad the test won't load on my computer.

Rick
January 2nd, 2011, 9:18 PM
What browser are you using? And what is the version?

Scarlett
January 2nd, 2011, 9:40 PM
From the commentary, I think I'm glad the test won't load on my computer.

Seems like a great reason to start it now. Hehe. ;)

kantwin
January 2nd, 2011, 10:05 PM
Seems like a great reason to start it now. Hehe. ;)

That's "mean". LOL.

Rick
January 3rd, 2011, 5:10 AM
Tapatalk and Forumrunner have been installed on Version 4. You should be able to find them easily.

kantwin
January 3rd, 2011, 5:24 AM
With forumrunner, I only saw the "production" site.

Rick
January 3rd, 2011, 6:55 AM
That's because the pain-killers hit before I actually published the site...should be good now.

TheOldProgrammer
January 3rd, 2011, 7:01 AM
Ok, since she said "Pllleeeaaazzzeeeee"

I installed it, (the joys of having a test forum...haha) anyone wanting their retinas burnt out, can go to the bottom left corner of the page and select it.

Anyone who is interested, can also see what the default colors look like.

The pink only works on the forum, not the front content page.

I can select "THE" color at the bottom left corner but then the page recycles to the original and when I select the forum, it's in the color as it is here... Guess that means it doesn't work for me either... I'm using Firefox 3.6.13 (the latest non-Version 4 (Beta)... Have you tested this on anything other than IE? :smoke

Rick
January 3rd, 2011, 7:08 AM
The color selector doesn't work on the front page. Click on Forum link and it works there. Both with IE 8 and Firefox 3.5.10.

TheOldProgrammer
January 3rd, 2011, 7:27 AM
The color selector doesn't work on the front page. Click on Forum link and it works there. Both with IE 8 and Firefox 3.5.10.

I realize that from what you previously posted but it doesn't work when I click on the "CentexTalk.com" link... Maybe you should install the latest non-Beta version of Firefox and try it... Unless I'm doing something wrong whick I don't think I am... Am I missing a step in the process? I do like the new front page though especially your addition of Kim Komando but I think Jayski's Silly Season Site would be better than "That's Racin'"... :smoke

Rick
January 3rd, 2011, 7:49 AM
Is this the address to the forum you are trying http://www.centextalk.com/forum/forum.php

Those links on the content page are old, I only use a couple of them. I'll add Jayski to the final version.

FF is downloading 3.5.13 now.

kantwin
January 3rd, 2011, 7:59 AM
That's because the pain-killers hit before I actually published the site...should be good now.
Yep. Shows up as a new arrival.
Works well. I don't use Tapatalk anymore, so I can't test that.

Rick
January 3rd, 2011, 8:03 AM
I may be giving up Tapatalk after using Forum runner on my phone the last few minutes.

This is nice.

dawglover
January 3rd, 2011, 8:04 AM
Impressive but it will take a little time to sort through it all and understand it - I think. Then again, technology has never been easy for me. It'll probably be a piece of cake for everyone else.

TheOldProgrammer
January 3rd, 2011, 8:05 AM
Is this the address to the forum you are trying http://www.centextalk.com/forum/forum.php

Those links on the content page are old, I only use a couple of them. I'll add Jayski to the final version.

FF is downloading 3.5.13 now.

No, I was using the link you provided in your original post; which apparently isn't the proper link...

This link works and I have now seen "THE" skin and certainly don't like it; sorry Scarlett...

I like the new look; seems 'cleaner'...

I hope that 3.5.13 was a typo... :smoke

kantwin
January 3rd, 2011, 8:15 AM
I may be giving up Tapatalk after using Forum runner on my phone the last few minutes.

This is nice.
I did the same thing. I used Tapatalk right after you first installed it on the board, and when I found Forumrunner, I installed it on a test board I had, and liked it much better. I think I asked you to install it here then.
I do like it much better than Tapatalk.

Rick
January 3rd, 2011, 8:30 AM
I hope that 3.5.13 was a typo... :smoke

Nope

It's downloading 3.6.13 now.

How many more are there? I don't use it very often. :))

Rick
January 3rd, 2011, 9:03 AM
I need someone from behind the Ft. Hood "wall of fire" to log on to the new software and make sure it works. I do plan to change the address from "VB" to "forum" and I want to make sure it isn't blocked.

Thanks.

TheOldProgrammer
January 3rd, 2011, 9:49 AM
Nope

It's downloading 3.6.13 now.

How many more are there? I don't use it very often. :))

Firefox 3.6.13 is the latest and greatest release version... Version 4 is in Beta and they have yet to release a "RC" (Release Candidate)... You only need the one version at this time, that version being 3.6.13... I'll try to remember to let you know when Version 4 becomes the end all, be all...

I should try this with Google Chrome and see how it works there... Maybe this afternoon I will... :smoke

Night Owl
January 3rd, 2011, 11:05 AM
I need someone from behind the Ft. Hood "wall of fire" to log on to the new software and make sure it works. I do plan to change the address from "VB" to "forum" and I want to make sure it isn't blocked.

Thanks.

Rick
I logged on without a problem.

Rick
January 3rd, 2011, 11:24 AM
Great, thanks. Once I work out the ads, I think I'll be all set.

TheOldProgrammer
January 3rd, 2011, 2:59 PM
It appears to be working fine in Version 8.0.552.224 which is the latest version... The 'pinklady' still looked like Pepto-Bismol... :smoke

dawglover
January 3rd, 2011, 9:08 PM
Yea Rick! Aren't you the clever lad. I could never do anything like what you are doing with this web site. I'm impressed.

Rick
January 3rd, 2011, 9:17 PM
Thanks, it really is just a matter of applying someone else's work to my needs and wants and then tweaking it a bit.

I just wish I could work on it more. But I can't sit at computer much. Still in a hell of a lot of pain and am not going to push it.

Rick
January 9th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Well, I think I am as ready for the upgrade as I'm going to be. The content management page will need a complete rework, but that is not going to stop me. I don't even HAVE to use it.

I'll decide how the "Blog" feature will work later.

I have found a few nice additions such as adding links to popular sites in a dropdown menu in the top navigation bar. That will save space on the screen.

For now, I will probably go with the "Blue Senseless" style until I find something that I really like.

So, unless something unforseen comes up, one of these mornings, I will close this forum, then back everything up, then complete the upgrade.

TheOldProgrammer
January 10th, 2011, 7:05 AM
You will advise us as to when this will take place? :smoke

Rick
January 10th, 2011, 7:44 AM
Probably not. It depends how I feel when I wake up early in the morning. It won't be today though.

When I do it, I don't foresee the forum being down for more than an hour.

I'm thinking about making this forum "Read Only" while I do the work.

I might make another practice run today and see how long it'll take.

Rick
January 13th, 2011, 9:07 PM
I have made some practice runs on the upgrade and got it down to 20 minutes or so.

The only thing I am wondering is about the directory change. I think I will keep it under the current structure. that way, no one has to change their bookmarks.

So one day, everyone will wake up and have the new software without any hassle.

Now I just need to get up the nerve to actually do it. That's the scary part.

TheOldProgrammer
January 14th, 2011, 6:58 AM
Who are you kidding? Someone will have a problem with the new software... Most likely it'll be 'operator headspace'... :smoke

Rick
January 14th, 2011, 7:16 AM
No way, we have the smartest users in all of the Internet.

circle_c
January 14th, 2011, 7:47 AM
Who are you kidding? Someone will have a problem with the new software... Most likely it'll be 'operator headspace'... :smoke I resemble that remark...:))

Rick
January 15th, 2011, 5:31 AM
Well, it is installed. If there is a general hatred for it, I can roll back to 4:00 am 1/15/2010.

I am still in the market for a style. I am not completely in love with this one. So if you find something, I'll consider it.

TheOldProgrammer
January 15th, 2011, 5:36 AM
So far, so good though I don't see the smilies... :smoke

Rick
January 15th, 2011, 5:36 AM
I see Brian tested the Blog feature. I can't say that that was unexpected...lol

I tested Tapatalk and ForumRunner, all seems to be working well.

Rick
January 15th, 2011, 5:38 AM
Testing smilies :):busted:cowdungwitch:?:crying

They aren't in the Quick Reply box (Yet). You have to "Go Advanced" and they appear then.

Brian McCall
January 15th, 2011, 5:43 AM
I like it. It seems to have a lot of functionality. I might have to check out vBulletin again. I've always been partial to Simple Machines because it uses php, but now I see this does too.

TheOldProgrammer
January 15th, 2011, 5:43 AM
So I discovered... I just happened to remember the code for this one... :smoke

Rick
January 15th, 2011, 6:36 AM
Two quick things, then I am going back to bed! :))

The ad block on the side menu is collapsible.

For now, I added two "Links" sections at the top menu bar. News Links and Education Links. I plan to add a Sports and other dropdowns for that. Please suggest links you use that others might find interesting.

kantwin
January 15th, 2011, 7:22 AM
ForumRunner works well.
It even has a little "post count" when browsing the forum. Didn't used to have that.

kantwin
January 15th, 2011, 7:38 AM
The "Default Post" icon is back.

Rick
January 15th, 2011, 7:46 AM
I noticed the post count too. It had it before, but it was always a zero and I never could figure out what it was.

I'll remove the default image in a few.

kantwin
January 15th, 2011, 7:55 AM
I hadn't noticed the post count.

Rick
January 15th, 2011, 8:01 AM
I think it is also showing the blue bubble to indicate a forum with a new message.

engteach64
January 15th, 2011, 9:06 AM
I like the new look, but have one question. Is there a way to make the font size a little larger? I haven't embraced the fact that I can't see as well as I used to yet, so is it possible to make the font a little larger?

Rick
January 15th, 2011, 9:11 AM
I'm sure I can. I will add that to the "to-do" list...(I really do have one. ;) )

circle_c
January 15th, 2011, 9:17 AM
I like the new look, but have one question. Is there a way to make the font size a little larger? I haven't embraced the fact that I can't see as well as I used to yet, so is it possible to make the font a little larger? Hope it's OK to butt in here, Some things you might try... hit the control and the =+ key on your keyboard. To reduce hit the control -_ key. that is if you are using a PC, or perhaps your keyboard has a zoom key

kantwin
January 15th, 2011, 9:22 AM
Control + scroll the mouse wheel works, too.

Texas Immigrant
January 15th, 2011, 6:23 PM
On the old format I could click CP (I think that's what it was) and it only showed me new posts in the threads I was subscribed to. Is there a way to do that with the new format? When I click What's New or New Posts, it shows me all new posts.

Rick
January 15th, 2011, 9:19 PM
I'll look into it.

Rick
January 15th, 2011, 11:40 PM
On the old format I could click CP (I think that's what it was) and it only showed me new posts in the threads I was subscribed to. Is there a way to do that with the new format? When I click What's New or New Posts, it shows me all new posts.
Do me a favor and try clicking on the "Quick Links" dropdown and select "Subscribed Threads". Does that do what you want it to do?

Chief
January 16th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Don't like the new software. Liked the old one much better.

Rick
January 16th, 2011, 12:50 AM
I hope I can improve it in order to make it to your liking. What don't you like about it?

Texas Immigrant
January 16th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Do me a favor and try clicking on the "Quick Links" dropdown and select "Subscribed Threads". Does that do what you want it to do?

That gave me all threads that I'm subscribed to, whether they have new posts or not.

finalbowser
January 16th, 2011, 2:07 AM
O_o

Whoa... The new look is odd... but I suppose I could get used to it. >_>

Rick
January 16th, 2011, 4:20 AM
O_o

Whoa... The new look is odd... but I suppose I could get used to it. >_>

I am going to make changes to the style. I am not 100% happy with it.

Rick
January 16th, 2011, 5:44 AM
That gave me all threads that I'm subscribed to, whether they have new posts or not.

I added a User CP dropdown to the Menu bar. I'm pretty sure thata's what you want. It's also in the top right there is a "Settings" link. That takes you to the User CP.

kantwin
January 16th, 2011, 7:27 AM
Didn't that User CP button replace a button that would take you to new posts?
I found that convenient.
On another note - Is anyone seeing strange behavior with the ForumRunner app?
I read a post, refresh, and it shows as unread again. Does it for almost every post I read with ForumRunner.
I've rebooted the phone, and it still does it.
Didn't start happening until the update of this forum.

Rick
January 16th, 2011, 8:35 AM
There is a "New Post" link on the second level menu. I took put the "What's New" because it was the same as the New Post. I can easily put it back.

Forum Runner is working perfectly for me. The blue bubbles change after I read a message. I haver the Android version.

kantwin
January 16th, 2011, 8:53 AM
I think a "New Posts" link on the home page would be handy.
In Forum Runner, the bubble changes, and the font changes from bold to normal after I read a post.
But, if I refresh the page, it reverts to a blue bubble, and bold font, like I didn't read it.
I'm using the iPhone version.
Anyone else using the iPhone version, and seeing this?

kantwin
January 16th, 2011, 8:56 AM
Also, I can't find the "Today's Posts" link.
I found that handy, too.

Rick
January 16th, 2011, 8:58 AM
Ahh I see where you are looking. I added it back.

The Home page is going to get a complete workover when I get some of the other things done.

Over all, I am pleased so far.

Rick
January 16th, 2011, 9:05 AM
I found that handy, too.
I think I saw a modification for that.

Spartan
January 16th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I can't figure out how to put smileys into my comments and this appears to run much slower on my system. Other than that, I'm OK with this new one... though I prefer the old.

xzochye
January 16th, 2011, 10:56 AM
As of right now I really miss the old design. However, I am sure (hoping) that I once I learn everything about the new design I will like it just as much. I just don't handle change very well I guess....lol.

Rick
January 16th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I just added an advanved "Quick Reply" modification. Smileys are now possible without going to the Advanced editor. 8-;:):chopwood

There is a dropdown menu when you click on the http://www.centextalk.com/vb/images/editor/smilie.png. Scroll all he way down and you can click on "Show All Smilies" to bring them all up.

As for the speed, I have noticed that some things are slower, some are faster. (Hard to tell with both kids home this weekend and they have their computers on my network too...LOL)

I will be adjusting some things to hopefully help with that.

Rick
January 16th, 2011, 11:10 AM
As of right now I really miss the old design. However, I am sure (hoping) that I once I learn everything about the new design I will like it just as much. I just don't handle change very well I guess....lol.
The thing of it is, it may not be long before they stop supporting the old version. This one has been out for more than a year now, I actually bought it in November 2009, and waited until they finally got a lot of the issues solved.

Mestral
January 16th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Like every thing else, the new version WILL eventually replace the old version. I dragged my feet on several older programs, but in the end I had to either change to a newer version, or a different program altogether. (Gave up on DOS last year :doh )

I logged on yesterday and saw some things I didn't really like, but you have already improved them. It may take me a while before I get used to the new design, but I think you have done a fantastic job of making the transition as smooth as possible for us users.

Rick
January 16th, 2011, 1:11 PM
Thanks.

Eng64, I am still working on the font size. Finding it out of hundreds of style variables is a pain in the you know what.

finalbowser
January 16th, 2011, 1:17 PM
I found that handy, too.

I used the link that says "What's New?" Seems like the same thing. The "Today's Posts" was my favorite feature of the old style.

finalbowser
January 16th, 2011, 1:22 PM
oh wow... I just now discovered the arrows that expand the threads horizontally and hides the sponsor ads. With the page extended and the ad(s) hidden, the page looks SO much better.

Rick
January 16th, 2011, 3:25 PM
To view New Posts, I think this will work. I added a tab that says "New Posts?". The dropdown menu will give you a choice of "View All New Posts" which will be all the messages on the forum that you have not read. The "View New Posts for Today" will give you the new posts from the past 24 hours (I think) whether you have read them or not. The unread posts will be bold.

I will try to add "View Subscribed" and a "View New Since Last Visit" options to it once I find the correct urls.

Test them and let me know what you think.

TheOldProgrammer
January 16th, 2011, 4:47 PM
I just noticed that the 'countdown' thingy isn't there anymore... :smoke

Rick
January 16th, 2011, 5:10 PM
No, I might add it back if someone wrote it for this version. I will check on it.

xzochye
January 16th, 2011, 7:03 PM
I am liking it more and more. Is there a way that you can put a top button at the end of each post by the reply or thanks button?

Rick
January 16th, 2011, 7:46 PM
Ask and ye shall receive. I knew there was one at the bottom of each page. Just not each post...There is now!

Rick
January 16th, 2011, 9:56 PM
The current style is the default style. I hate the color, but I am wondering if this style loads faster than the other one.

You can still select the the "Blue Senseless" style if you would like to compare the two. Both are up to date with the modifications.

I'd appreciate it if you let me know what you think about the page loading speed.

TheOldProgrammer
January 17th, 2011, 6:58 AM
For me, the change to the style made no difference... The loading is still slow and 'jerky'... One thing of note is that when I move from thread to thread or press the 'forum' button; the refresh first shows the narrow forum with the adds and then acts on the fact that I have them closed... Another thing I've noted is that when you'd click 'Thanks' on the old version, it showed up right then, now sometimes it does but most of the time it doesn't... :smoke

Rick
January 17th, 2011, 7:26 AM
I think it does the "Narrow to wide" thing because of the sidebar. I think it looks like it's there, then realizes that it's open. I am going to remove it. The "Thanks" thing works for me, I may install a different one and see how it works. I don't like how this one looks.

TheOldProgrammer
January 17th, 2011, 7:48 AM
Doing that might speed the refresh/reload rate... :smoke

kantwin
January 17th, 2011, 8:54 AM
Is the "The Following User Says Thank You to <insert username here> For This Useful Post:" a bit large, or is it just me?

TheOldProgrammer
January 17th, 2011, 9:09 AM
Is the "The Following User Says Thank You to <insert username here> For This Useful Post:" a bit large, or is it just me?

Nope, it's not just you... That may be one of the things Rick dislikes about it... :smoke

Rick
January 17th, 2011, 9:14 AM
I don't like how it is aligned or how there is not much visual separation between the post and the thanks block. It should not be that prominent.

Rick
January 17th, 2011, 9:24 AM
Sidebar is disabled, let me know if that helps.

Gramps
January 17th, 2011, 9:46 AM
It would be nice if the Quick Navigation popup would auto select the forum you are currently viewing (as displayed before you click on it) instead of taking you to the top of the popup list.

Rick
January 17th, 2011, 9:51 AM
Ya Gramps, that would have made sense for them to have written it that way. I never use that, but can see what you are talking about.

Scarlett
January 17th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I am not a fan of how separated the "signatures" seem to be from the poster's post. Some people have such long signatures they look like separate posts.

finalbowser
January 17th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I'm not a fan of signatures in general. We have status messages now. Signatures can be removed altogether, in my opinion.

Scarlett
January 17th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I agree. Adds to the clutter.

Rick
January 17th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Good points about the signatures. Except that's where those of us who play the NASCAR contest show off our "trophy's". I'll look at a way to handle that.

I really like these suggestions and comments. Anything that makes this "OUR" site is good!

finalbowser
January 17th, 2011, 12:25 PM
could you make little "badges" for winning games and contests and doing other site-related stuff (like topic/article of the month)? They could be displayed near the username.

Rick
January 17th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I don't know. Have to look at options.

finalbowser
January 17th, 2011, 1:23 PM
I was bored, so I made you a header logo. I thought a transparent background would look better. Use it if you wish.

http://img.imgcake.com/centexlogogifne.gif

Scarlett
January 17th, 2011, 1:32 PM
I like!

Texas Immigrant
January 17th, 2011, 1:46 PM
me, too

Rick
January 17th, 2011, 2:05 PM
Thanks for the new header!

Signatures are now off.

Rick
January 17th, 2011, 2:35 PM
It would be nice if the Quick Navigation popup would auto select the forum you are currently viewing (as displayed before you click on it) instead of taking you to the top of the popup list.
I asked about this on the vBulletin website. Will post their answers.

finalbowser
January 17th, 2011, 4:34 PM
whoa... it doesn't quite mesh with the blue background. lemme fix it...

finalbowser
January 17th, 2011, 4:42 PM
Well here I just cheated and filled in with the same background color. If you would like something different, let me know.

http://img.imgcake.com/centexlogo2pngra.png

EDIT: Here's another with a slight alteration (the border around the Texas logo). I dunno which one I like better. You can use whichever.

http://img.imgcake.com/centexlogo3pngmy.png

Rick
January 17th, 2011, 5:55 PM
For the coffee cups, I used gold. Thought it looked good.

http://www.centextalk.com/banners/centextalklogowide3.gif

finalbowser
January 17th, 2011, 6:07 PM
oh geez... now I noticed the header has a gradient background. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me at first. >_<

The Gold/Yellow looks nice... As if you're emphasizing the Yellow Rose.

hmmm...

http://img.imgcake.com/centexlogo4pnghe.png

btw, I'm starting to really like all the changes being made to the site. Good job.

Rick
January 17th, 2011, 6:10 PM
I think with the grey/blue default colors, the current one looks good. Don't spend too much time on it. There's a good possibility that I will be changing the colors in the near future.

I do appreciate the new logo's.

Rick
January 17th, 2011, 6:29 PM
I like the new look, but have one question. Is there a way to make the font size a little larger? I haven't embraced the fact that I can't see as well as I used to yet, so is it possible to make the font a little larger?
Ok, I changed it from 13 px to 15px. On my mini computer, it looks just fine, on my desktop, it looks too big. What do you all think?

finalbowser
January 17th, 2011, 7:03 PM
I preferred the 13px font, but it's not a big deal to me.

I know you said stop, but I just couldn't help myself to fix the gradient/shading issue. This one should align the current colors properly. This stuff doesn't take me a lot of time, so if you need a different graphic later on let me know.

http://img.imgcake.com/centexlogo5pngne.png

Rick
January 17th, 2011, 11:17 PM
LOL ok, it's loaded.

Had some personal issues to deal with, so I kind of took a break tonight.

Rick
January 18th, 2011, 10:35 PM

I asked about this on the vBulletin website. Will post their answers.

Their answer:

You could modify the code to make it selected, but there is no option to set it that way. If you need help modifying the code, the place to ask for help is over on vbulletin.org, the modification site.
LOL, well duh! I thought their programmers would want to do something that makes sense.