PDA

View Full Version : Why is the City of Killeen forcing their citizns to have nicrochipping done

sachem
December 9th, 2010, 12:59 PM
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONTi have read in the paper that the city is going to start enforcing animals to be micro-chipped :busted

Nobody can afford it (or understand it) if they aew wlderly.

BACK OFF KILLEEN:cussing:texas

Rick
December 9th, 2010, 5:02 PM
Already discussed HERE! (http://www.centextalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9080)

Deb
December 13th, 2010, 10:36 AM
One of my dogs came to me microchipped. She was microchipped by her senior citizen owner before coming to me. I should check her cremains to see if the microchip melted or anything like that.

flagthis
February 28th, 2011, 5:12 PM
Mobile pet owners SHOULD VOLUNTARILY microchip their pets.

macs
March 22nd, 2011, 9:58 PM
If you can't afford microchipping, you surely can't afford a pet. It is a one time fee. Don't get an animal until you have saved for adoption fees if any, microchipping, the vaccinations, nuetering/spay, and a year or two worth of heartworm pills. Getting a pet is a RESPONSIBILITY. They require it because when people are "done" with their pets, they bring them out my way and they are dumping them. I, in turn, run them in to the vet, and have them checked for a chip. If they have one, you can be contacted and held accountable for your "child". If not, that is another animal that will be most likely put to sleep at the pound. For those who truly did just lose their pet, the chip is a lifesaver.

Night Owl
March 23rd, 2011, 7:32 AM
Microchipping should be a choice made by the owner.

macs
March 23rd, 2011, 1:24 PM
Care of the pet should be the RESPONSIBILITY (not choice) of the owner. At any point, you can substitute the word pet with child if you would like. Tell me why 2 of my 4 pets are strays which should not have been my responsibility? The third is a chihuahua that came from a house of 13 of them. He was skin and bones and had no hair from the shoulders back. He was a pound underweight - a lot for a chihuahua. The fourth I took off the hands of my asst. principal because her son was highly allergic. I live in a rural area and the other two animals were clearly dropped off. This is only a small number of the animals that I have had come to my door. The others I have had to call the Sheriff (animal control) to come pick up. I can't take them all. CHIP YOUR ANIMALS.

Night Owl
March 23rd, 2011, 2:31 PM
Care of a pet is the responsibility of the owner, I agree. Why would I substitute the word pet for child. My pets are not my children, they are my pets. Chipping an animal is not a requirement, it is a CHOICE!!!

Spartan
March 23rd, 2011, 2:35 PM
I have two dogs. One is "chipped" because her loss would devastate me. The other is an obnoxious pound hound whose loss would be seen as a boon by me, although not by my spouse. The latter is not chipped... neither is my spouse... one could surmise that their loss would not be devastating.

CenTexDave
March 23rd, 2011, 2:39 PM
5/5

Night Owl
March 23rd, 2011, 2:43 PM
5/5 I see you have made a choice. A good one at that.

FieryPrincess
March 23rd, 2011, 7:22 PM
Care of the pet should be the RESPONSIBILITY (not choice) of the owner. At any point, you can substitute the word pet with child if you would like. Tell me why 2 of my 4 pets are strays which should not have been my responsibility? The third is a chihuahua that came from a house of 13 of them. He was skin and bones and had no hair from the shoulders back. He was a pound underweight - a lot for a chihuahua. The fourth I took off the hands of my asst. principal because her son was highly allergic. I live in a rural area and the other two animals were clearly dropped off. This is only a small number of the animals that I have had come to my door. The others I have had to call the Sheriff (animal control) to come pick up. I can't take them all. CHIP YOUR ANIMALS.

Are you cool with microchipping people?

I am with you about the responsibility, but I don't think the city can mandate that everyone subscribe to that service. All three of my pets are microchipped - by choice. There is a yearly fee for the service. My older lab that I recently lost was never microchipped not because I wasn't repsonsible, but because she was getting old enough I didn't want to put her through it.

Scarlett
March 23rd, 2011, 8:34 PM
I have NEVER had a yearly fee for my cats microchipping. And I know from experience the service hasn't "expired."

prideworks
March 24th, 2011, 7:54 AM
I have NEVER had a yearly fee for my cats microchipping. And I know from experience the service hasn't "expired."

IMHO, microchipping and spaying/nuetuering of pets should be a requirement by law...

Spartan
March 24th, 2011, 8:01 AM
IMHO, microchipping and spaying/nuetuering of pets should be a requirement by law...

Why stop with pets. Let's do it for human beings too.:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes

prideworks
March 24th, 2011, 8:04 AM
Why stop with pets. Let's do it for human beings too.:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes

good idea, I can think of a few that need to be neutered!:)

Night Owl
March 24th, 2011, 8:20 AM
So can I, but you wouldn't like it.

prideworks
March 24th, 2011, 9:07 AM
So can I, but you wouldn't like it.

:irule:driving:giggle:rolleyes::pray:poke:lmao::wh istle::bringit:bluerofl:yawn:Laughing::yikeswhite: :bouncing:kissbutt%%-:not me::chatter

macs
March 24th, 2011, 3:34 PM

I don't know what company you all are using, but NOR HAVE I EVER paid a yearly fee to continue my microchipping services. I just got a reminder the other day on my cat asking to update her address and phone number! What a service!!!! I suggest you either find a different vet that offers a one time fee service or find a different service whatever the case might be. I agree, if I had to pay a yearly fee, I'd be complaining too. But, I don't.

macs
March 24th, 2011, 3:41 PM
Care of a pet is the responsibility of the owner, I agree. Why would I substitute the word pet for child. My pets are not my children, they are my pets. Chipping an animal is not a requirement, it is a CHOICE!!!

You should substitute the word because there is a fine line between the difference. Unless you are a hard a** with a cold shoulder and you like getting animals just so they can be tied up to the cedar tree with a rope and a metal collar so they can bark all night just to annoy the neighbor, get loose, impregnate the neighbors AKC registered prize dog, and scare the crap out of my aging mother-in-law as she takes her morning walk.

Iteachtoo
March 24th, 2011, 3:44 PM
I am sick and tired of government sticking their nose in every aspect of our lives.

flagthis
March 25th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Microchipping should be a choice. It's also the RESPONSIBLE choice for anyone who has an active pet and/or travels. Pet owners shouldn't need governance to be responsible. Much of the opposition appears to be based on inaccurate assumptions and/or pride. If you don't want to be told what to do, act responsibly on your own accord. If you truly believe it's too expensive, how on earth do you afford vaccinations, grooming expenses, food and the occasional toy for your pet?? There are affordable microchips, and by affordable I mean less than $20 dollars. Do your own homework before you complain.

Night Owl
March 25th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I am complaining only about another mandate from the government. I have three pups and can afford to chip them. I have made the decision not to do so because there is always the chance of something happening when a foreign body is injected into a body. When it becomes 100% safe then I might do it, until then it ain't gonna happen.

macs
March 29th, 2011, 4:29 PM
I am complaining only about another mandate from the government. I have three pups and can afford to chip them. I have made the decision not to do so because there is always the chance of something happening when a foreign body is injected into a body. When it becomes 100% safe then I might do it, until then it ain't gonna happen.

Please....really is that the only reason you are not doing it....because there is a "chance" of something happening when a foreign body is injected???? And you don't care to call your pet your child??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You are killing me, man. So, when you need a pace maker or whatever the case might be you are gonna tell your doctor no because there is a chance that something might happen when a foreign body is inserted into yours. Come on now. Look at the numbers of those things that are being done compared to "things" that are happening as you are calling it. OH LORD.

You're in America and if you are sticking food in your mouth in this country, you are injecting foreign bodies every bite!!! There's gotta be a better argument than that.

I've seen too many irresponsible PET owners and too many irresponsible CHILD owners in my lifetime already. I'm tired of caring and picking up the slack for those that don't. Shouldn't need governance and don't need are two far different cries. If people would take care of business we wouldn't have to have all this governance.

CenTexDave
March 29th, 2011, 8:54 PM
Maybe you should chip your kids then.

Night Owl
March 30th, 2011, 8:12 AM
And get youself chipped also.

Sometimes your posts don't make a lick of sense and this was one of those times.

My dogs are my pets, not my children and anyone who compares the two has a few screws loose.

macs
March 30th, 2011, 8:45 AM
Maybe you should chip your kids then.

The more people don't care for and keep an eye on their kids, I bet the closer the government is to doing that as well!

macs
March 30th, 2011, 8:59 AM
And get youself chipped also.

Sometimes your posts don't make a lick of sense and this was one of those times.

My dogs are my pets, not my children and anyone who compares the two has a few screws loose.

If people can't care for themselves, maybe the government will have to chip individuals too! I care for myself, my spouse, my 3 children, my 4 pets, my mother-in-law, I have a homeless family of 3 living with me right now until June, I care for a class of 20 students and do it well (I think Scarlett can fend for me on that one, no?) I often assist my husband in sending support to his siblings in Honduras. I know what it means to "take care" and I do it well even when my husband is on the other side of the world playing Army. I can spin circles around just about anyone.

My posts make perfects sense. Your posts are contradictory. You talk like you don't give a lick about your pets then you turn the table and say the only basic reason you won't chip them is because you are overwhelmingly concerned that there is a "chance" something could happen from a foreign body being inserted. If your are referring to the comment about the food. Dude, we have so much foreign crap in everything in our country these days it is CRAZY! You know it and I know it. Our food is no longer food. It is full of hormones, pesticides, antibiotics, fillers, fake vitamins because everything has been depleted, etc, etc. Our bodies and livers are full of waste because of the drugs we are given by doctors because instead of getting off our lazy butts and doing something we take a drug and continue to sit on our butts. Western disease is due to our lifestyle. You are so confused about what makes sense. Get off this site a little and do some research. Oh, I have no screw loose!

Night Owl
March 30th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Huh?????

macs
March 30th, 2011, 1:08 PM
Huh?????

My point exactly, your brain is fogged!

Night Owl
March 30th, 2011, 3:21 PM
It was definitely fogged after trying to read your post. Mine may be fogged but yours is missing.

prideworks
March 31st, 2011, 12:42 PM
It was definitely fogged after trying to read your post. Mine may be fogged but yours is missing.

Children, play nice! *-:)

spedkiddos
April 1st, 2011, 1:23 PM
Geeze after reading all of the posts I'm not sure if I should post my question or not. I don't want to get in the middle of it.

But here I go anyways....

I recently had my puppy microchipped, and when I did I was given this little tag to put on her collar saying that she's lost and microchipped. Even though my puppy was donated to me, she's still an expensive and uncommon breed for this area. Should I put the I'm lost tag on her so if she does get lost, they can take her to the vet to get scanned? OR should I not put the tag on her incase she is stolen? Then who ever has her may choose not to take her to the vet b/c she is chipped and would come up stolen. I know I shouldn't think so negatively, but.... that kind of stuff does happen.

Rick
April 1st, 2011, 6:04 PM
I'd put it on because I believe there are more people who would do the right thing.

Ratchet
April 5th, 2011, 2:41 AM
I just got two beautiful labs who are both 2 months old - at what age should I consider microchipping them ?

THEMEANOGRE
April 5th, 2011, 5:35 AM
Ratchet, I don't believe there is a recommended minimum age. It can save you buckets of heartache to have your pet chipped. If you keep an eye on the local paper, there is an example regularly. Mrs Vivian Henderson, the widow of Jerry Henderson, lost her beloved "Binki" over a month ago. It was reported to her that Binki was seen at the Ft Hood animal shelter. When she went there to reclaim him, he had already been adopted. I think that Ft Hood has a policy that ALL dogs and cats that reside on post be chipped. If that is truly the case, then their shelter should automatically scan any such critter to speed their return to their families.

macs
April 7th, 2011, 3:07 PM
I recently had my puppy microchipped, and when I did I was given this little tag to put on her collar saying that she's lost and microchipped. Even though my puppy was donated to me, she's still an expensive and uncommon breed for this area. Should I put the I'm lost tag on her so if she does get lost, they can take her to the vet to get scanned? OR should I not put the tag on her incase she is stolen? Then who ever has her may choose not to take her to the vet b/c she is chipped and would come up stolen. I know I shouldn't think so negatively, but.... that kind of stuff does happen.

I felt the same way...I was given a dog who was not AKC registered but had all that he needed to be registered so I registered him. As part of the registry, there is a free lost and found service that comes with it and a tag they wear to identify the service which also says AKC. I did not end up putting it on him for that very same reason. I was so unsure. On the other hand, he is clearly a boxer. If someone wanted a boxer, they would steal him, registered or not. It just makes me wonder if they would have more of a good reason knowing he is registered. To me if they are truly a good person, they will take them to be scanned whether they are wearing a tag or not. He is not wearing the tag! The other 3 animals (2 indoor cats and a chihuahua) do not wear collars at all so they do not wear their tags either.

I completely understand your hard decision.