PDA

View Full Version : Tricare Prime - ugh

FieryPrincess
August 18th, 2010, 6:37 AM
Seriously, how long is normal when trying to schedule an appointent to go over MRI results? My MRI was the 15th, but the only appointmets they could come up with were on the September 8th and 14th.

Is this normal?

I really don't want to have to take time off of work to be told that they (more than likely) didn't find anything wrong and they don't know why my joint swells to twice its normal size off and on for four years.

EVERYtime I call the appointment line, they make me cry. I tried to get in during the summer starting in June to take care of this business and had to change clinics to see someone and even that was Aug 2!

CenTexDave
August 18th, 2010, 8:44 AM
The problem isn't TRICARE Prime, it's your primary care manager/clinic. I go through the same problems with S&W Clinic, Killeen, where my PCM is located. They are just swamped.
Now don't get me wrong, TRICARE has its own set of problems, namely the moronic company (HUMANA) they contracted to administer it.

Sunshine
August 19th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Seriously, how long is normal when trying to schedule an appointent to go over MRI results? My MRI was the 15th, but the only appointmets they could come up with were on the September 8th and 14th.

Is this normal?

I really don't want to have to take time off of work to be told that they (more than likely) didn't find anything wrong and they don't know why my joint swells to twice its normal size off and on for four years.

EVERYtime I call the appointment line, they make me cry. I tried to get in during the summer starting in June to take care of this business and had to change clinics to see someone and even that was Aug 2!

Did you get stuck at an on post clinic? When I got there I had to pick an off-post doctor and I found an awesome one. I would tell you, but Snow White would kill me if I told one more person. Anyway, if you are on post check and see if you can get a civilian doctor, I can't express to you the joys of getting in within a day or two when I was off post.

FieryPrincess
August 21st, 2010, 8:55 AM
Now that I am in San Antonio, they won't allow an off post doctor for Prime.

At a recent appointment, I was asked if I felt homicidal or suicidal and my response was "only towards the appointment line". The doc agree and mentioned that she couldn't even make headway with that list.

I am in a new clinic now and I was told to bypass it and come in or call in directly to make an appointment.

siamcat
August 21st, 2010, 9:41 PM
I think it depends on where you're at, but I love Tricare Prime and gladly put up with delays for the price. Hubby retired and you can't get insurance for that price that covers what they cover.
Around the Killeen area it's not that bad because there are more providers.

THEMEANOGRE
August 22nd, 2010, 3:27 AM
Geez, why wouldn't TriCare allow patients to get a civilian doctor in San Antonio? would it have something to do with Brook AMC AND Wilford Hall USAF Hospitals both being located there.

Wireman
August 24th, 2010, 7:28 PM
Tricare Prime is coming under a lot of fire for not paying for services they approve. My PCM is going to quit taking tricare at the end of September, and the first two in the area I checked were doing likewise. Currently there are rumblings of a class action lawsuit against Humana for failure to reimburse and approve procedures that are supposed to be covered.

The local docs are swamped. Which in turn usually means in and out healthcare. If you are on prime and can do it, going back on installation is your best bet.

CenTexDave
August 25th, 2010, 8:44 AM
This sounds like exactly what happened years ago when S&W and Kings Daughters dropped Tricare. HUMANA should have lost the contract. They are an absolutely terrible contractor/administrator.

FieryPrincess
August 27th, 2010, 8:04 PM
Geez, why wouldn't TriCare allow patients to get a civilian doctor in San Antonio? would it have something to do with Brook AMC AND Wilford Hall USAF Hospitals both being located there.

It is working towards being less of BAMC and Wilford Hall and more SAMMC - North campus and SAMMC South campus (San Antonio Military Medical Facility)

And I still maintain that there should not be a three week delay in reading tests when one is having trouble walking.

CenTexDave
August 28th, 2010, 10:31 PM
I agree, but I'm not sure what the answer is except to register a formal complaint with TRICARE, not Humana and not the hospital or clinic. I know when I've had problems using TRICARE Prime that is exactly what I did and it got fast results.