PDA

View Full Version : NFL's Great All-Time Running Back?

CenTexDave
August 15th, 2010, 11:45 AM
With the recent induction of Emmit Smith into the Hall of Fame, it's opened up a bit of a debate at the VFW I hang out in as to who is the all-time greatest running back in NFL history.
The game has changed since the 1940's. Every decade it seems a bit different.
How about your choice and reasons?
Mine - Jim Brown. Totally above all the rest. The only RB is NFL history to average over 5 yards a carry for his career, and over 100 yards per game.
And remember, most of his career was a 12 game season and then 14 game season, and the only playoff game was if they were conference champs and made it to the NFL Championship Game. Hash marks were wider out then also, meaning if the ball was placed on a far right or left hash mark it about took away any chance of a sweep to that side so defenses could stack the line.
Other ones I would consider:
Marion Motley - FB for the old Browns. This guy was 6'1" and 250+ lbs, bigger than the offensive or defensive linemen. Only played about 6 years with the Browns. Was already a fairly old guy when the Browns joined the NFL.
O.J. Simpson - great RB. Glad he's finally enjoying his prison time.
Gale Sayers - injuries cut short his great career.
Walter Peyton - another Bear. Sweetness he was.
Erik Dickerson - at one time looked like he would break every record.
Barry Sanders - 2nd to Brown.
Emmit Smith - If I had the offensive line he had in Dallas and carried the ball as often as he did I'd be up there also.

cnjbond
August 15th, 2010, 4:49 PM
What a list!
1. Jim Brown...he was awsome!
2. Barry Sanders, I know it's been said before but if he would've had the line Emmitt did AND not retired as soon as he did, then he would've easily broken the rushing record.
3. Walter Payton
4. Emmitt Smith although his line did a lot, he still had to run through the holes and he also did a few things down the field too.
5. OJ Simpson
6. Gale Sayers
7. Erik Dickerson
6. Gale Sayers

Iteachtoo
August 15th, 2010, 8:45 PM
What about Earl Campbell? When he was in high school. I saw him run fifty yards and cross the goal line with FIVE Plano defensive men hanging on to him

CenTexDave
August 15th, 2010, 10:23 PM
That was high school. Did the same in college and sometimes in the NFL. The Oilers ran him to death and shortened his career a lot. He can barely walk now. But he was a great one also.

Iteachtoo
August 16th, 2010, 12:18 PM
That's why I mentioned that it was Plano, their defensive linemen at the time, could have passed for pros, they were HUGE! That is back when Plano had only one high school. Yes, the Oilers did over work him and cut his career short, such a shame.