PDA

View Full Version : Best breed of chickens for this area?

Wireman
August 1st, 2010, 11:28 AM
I've decided that our lil' ol homestead out in the country has space for some chickens now that #1 son will be living there full time. I've raised them in cooler climates, but never anyplace this hot. Is there a certain breed that does exceptionally well in this area?

beenateacher4ever
August 2nd, 2010, 8:51 PM
I have always lived in Texas and used to have all different kinds of chickens. Any type chicken should do well as long as they have shelter, and plenty of water. They do need some sort of shade. Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds are good for eggs. http://www.idealpoultry.com/ This is in Cameron- not that far away. I have bought chicks and stuff from them in the past and was pleased with them. This site is good to learn about different breeds and since they are raised here in Texas they should all do well.

TexMexYum
August 4th, 2010, 9:30 PM
I have always lived in Texas and used to have all different kinds of chickens. Any type chicken should do well as long as they have shelter, and plenty of water. They do need some sort of shade. Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds are good for eggs. http://www.idealpoultry.com/ This is in Cameron- not that far away. I have bought chicks and stuff from them in the past and was pleased with them. This site is good to learn about different breeds and since they are raised here in Texas they should all do well.

I'm not in the market for chickens, but I sure enjoyed browsing Ideal Poultry's website. It's a pretty darn big business in Cameron. I had no idea. I wish I had a hugh stock pond and could get some ducks and geese! Very interesting info.....

Wireman
August 5th, 2010, 4:31 PM
Those are some awesome prices. I'm going out this weekend and start on the house and coop along with a fenced run, so I'll give them a call and see what they have on hand. At that distance it's easier to just go pick them up.

Rick
August 6th, 2010, 7:28 AM
We had Golden Sex Links and they were very productive. Laid very large eggs. I'll try to remember to post a picture of them.

Lsquare
June 5th, 2011, 11:45 AM
We got chicks from that place in Cameron and have lots of chickens now (only lost a few of the chicks). We have the red chickens and the black/white striped ones. They lay lots of eggs. We have eggs and chickens for sale. Email me at Tyronza@hotmail.com if you're interested in buying eggs or chickens.

Night Owl
June 5th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Be sure you do everything you can to make the chicken coop snake proof.

JoAnn Purser
June 6th, 2011, 5:04 AM

I have nine total and get great eggs from both (Leghorns and Reds) daily. I ordered mine from Belton Feed and Supply.

This is where I also get my "infamous" pecans cracked.

THEMEANOGRE
June 6th, 2011, 6:16 AM
"Infamous", what? Are they harder Night Owl's head? jf

Spartan
June 6th, 2011, 11:19 AM

Mission impossible. Besides, loosing a few eggs in payment of the rat patrol is a small price to pay.

Lsquare
June 6th, 2011, 1:57 PM

Yep, we have chicken wire backed by mesh on the bottom half, plus chicken wire over the top. So far we've had one young rattle snake that managed to squeeze half way through, but got stuck in the mesh. I'm surprised we haven't come across more at least making the attempt. Hubby says chickens will kill snakes, smaller ones anyway. I'm not so sure.

Night Owl
June 6th, 2011, 2:31 PM
Chickens have been known to kill snakes.

Spartan
June 6th, 2011, 4:03 PM
Chickens are too stupid to know the difference between a juicy worm and a baby snake and so they will eat small snakes when they find them. Trust me folks, chicken wire and mesh will not deter a hungry Bull Snake very long.

Rick
June 6th, 2011, 4:15 PM
Mine would kill small snakes, but the big rat snakes had their way with the eggs...and my heart rate when I opened up the coop to get the eggs.

One thing that helped on our property was to put the coop in the open, away from the tree line and keep the grass around the coop cut real low. I mean real low. With a lot of owls and other birds of prey around, the snakes seemed to not like making a mad dash from the woods to the coop.

Spartan
June 6th, 2011, 10:07 PM
... One thing that helped on our property was to put the coop in the open, away from the tree line and keep the grass around the coop cut real low. I mean real low. With a lot of owls and other birds of prey around, the snakes seemed to not like making a mad dash from the woods to the coop.

A very wise move. Those of you who have reptophobia (I made that up) may take a hint here. Keep a clear-cut zone at least 10 feet wide around your landscape and you will not often find snakes competing for your habitat.

Rick
June 6th, 2011, 10:46 PM
It's not reptophobia, it's called scared****lessofthedamnthings.

gnatsum
June 7th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Ophidiophobia is fear/phobia of snakes, according to bing.com.
I was once like, Rick, so scared of them that I NEVER opened the 'S' volume of the encyclopedia my parents bought me when I was still a wee lad--never could be sure that the book MIGHT fly open to the section on Snake, with all of those photos of the things...PHOTOS, mind you!!! LOL
Had to be careful with the 'C' and 'R' volumes, because of the cobra and rattlesnake.
The 'F' volume had a photo of a fer-de-lance...saw it, and immediately slammed the book shut.
I'm not that bad anymore, but I DON'T go out of my way to look at snake pictures...
I've eaten rattlesnake once. Watched that cook at the Belton Fair years ago KILL that sucker, and prep it for cooking!