PDA

View Full Version : Another Dumped Dog

Rick
July 25th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Found this along the road this morning.

She is very friendly and already making herself very comfortable here.

If anyone wants her let me know. We might keep her, haven't decided yet.

joyohjoy
July 25th, 2010, 1:35 PM
How sad that people dump their pets. I have two that have been dumped...hope you can keep her.

Rick
July 25th, 2010, 1:58 PM
We gave her a bath, cut the dreadlocks and burrs off of her. She is clinging to us. Wife said we're keeping her. Haha

She's not a puppy. Don't know how old, but is used to people.

Will have to get her in for a checkup with Dr. Buckley.

joyohjoy
July 25th, 2010, 2:00 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31448767&id=1286547992

I hope this works, if it does this is the one left on our door step in a shoe box.

siamcat
July 25th, 2010, 4:41 PM
We currently have a little chihuahua thinking he lives here. He showed up this morning and hasn't left yet. He looks taken care off so I'm hoping he just got out and will go home soon. If not he'll got to the shelter tomorrow.

Rick
July 25th, 2010, 6:17 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31448767&id=1286547992

I hope this works, if it does this is the one left on our door step in a shoe box.
The link didn't work.

Rick
July 25th, 2010, 6:57 PM
Here's a picture of her cleaned up. Needs a haircut!

joyohjoy
July 26th, 2010, 11:10 AM
She is a cutie. Wish I could figure out how to post a picture of my dumped dog now called Lewie.

Rick
July 26th, 2010, 12:18 PM
If you can email it to me, I will post it for you.

rick@centextalk.com

Rick
July 26th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Or son walked in the door saw her and froze in his tracks and said, "What the hell is that and why is it here?" Haha

Then later, he helped give her a haircut.

She isn't comfortable around the horses or cats. So far, no accidents in the house. She'll go to the door and cry when she wants to go out.

Rotti_mama
July 26th, 2010, 6:30 PM
Sweet little thing!

siamcat
July 26th, 2010, 6:42 PM
In case anybody is looking to adopt a chihuahua. He's now at the Killeen Animal Shelter. He's cute and sweet and I wish I could have kept him.
Here is a link to his picture.

http://www.ci.killeen.tx.us/index.php?section=43

siamcat
July 26th, 2010, 6:45 PM
Sorry, I copied the link to his picture, but it doesn't show the same page. He's on page 13 right now when you search for dogs at

http://www.ci.killeen.tx.us/index.php?section=43

siamcat
July 28th, 2010, 5:09 PM
Update, either he got adopted or the owners found him. He's no longer on the site.

Rick
July 29th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Sweet little thing!
I know, it breaks my heart to think that someone left her on West Fort Hood to fend for herself. Which means, to die.

I dare say, she is housebroken, still no accidents in the house and she stays inside all day while we are at work. She's a tough little thing.

We're gonna keep her. She melts the heart for sure.

Still doesn't know what to make of the horses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6k6uFz1U3g

dragonfly
July 29th, 2010, 11:39 PM
ohhhhh, she's so little! I'm glad you're able to keep her!

Rick
July 31st, 2010, 12:09 AM
She has a vet appt Monday. So they will check her for a chip and all that.

Iteachtoo
July 31st, 2010, 12:55 AM
That is a gorgeous horse that little bitty doggie is afraid of!!!

Imagine
July 31st, 2010, 2:47 AM
That is a great BIG horse the little doggie is afraid of and I don't blame her (him?) one bit.

Rick
August 2nd, 2010, 10:19 PM
The horse is called Big Boy. He's 17 hands. So ya, he is big. Gentle too.

My wife took the dog to the vet today. She is 3-4 years old, except for a skin problem which they treated, she is healthy. No chip, so my guess is that she was probably dumped.

I guess she found a home.

Night Owl
August 2nd, 2010, 10:39 PM
I know, it breaks my heart to think that someone left her on West Fort Hood to fend for herself. Which means, to die.

I dare say, she is housebroken, still no accidents in the house and she stays inside all day while we are at work. She's a tough little thing.

We're gonna keep her. She melts the heart for sure.

Still doesn't know what to make of the horses.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6k6uFz1U3g

I thought you were saying the horse was housebroken.:)):))

She is a keeper and lucky to find a good family to take her in.

Deb
August 3rd, 2010, 4:06 PM
She/he is a cutie, Rick! What are you going to call him/her? I just had to put my 18 year old cocker spaniel down on Wednesday, the 14th. That hurt big time. But he was to the point that he couldn't even stand up to go potty, so it was time. I found another cocker at the cocker rescue in east Phoenix and fell in love with him.

Night Owl
August 3rd, 2010, 4:33 PM
Good for you. Puppies make a bad day great.

Rick
August 3rd, 2010, 5:11 PM
Sorry to hear that Deb, 18 years is a long time.

Don't know what the name will be.

Night Owl
August 4th, 2010, 7:42 AM
Looks like a Tippy.

Rick
August 4th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Oh no, bad memories from one of my dad's dogs with the same name when I was a kid.

Deb
August 4th, 2010, 1:19 PM
Sorry to hear that Deb, 18 years is a long time.

Don't know what the name will be.
Yea, 18 years is old for a cocker spaniel. The average is 12-13 years for a cocker. My grandfather had 3 dogs during the time we had our first cocker. The cocker I now have was a rescue from a California shelter, and they named him Barack. That got changed PDQ when he came here. I still miss Odie (the one I just lost).

Night Owl
August 30th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Too cute

Night Owl
August 30th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Oh no, bad memories from one of my dad's dogs with the same name when I was a kid.
Work through the issues. :):) Puppy looks like a Tippy.

Rick
August 30th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Cow dung!! :bluerofl

There are not enough shrinks to handle it.

Night Owl
August 30th, 2010, 12:45 PM
:thumbsup:thumbsup At least you admit your issues.:)):))

Rick
July 25th, 2013, 2:50 PM
She's still here, three years to the day. Spoiled to death.

kantwin
July 25th, 2013, 4:05 PM
She's still here, three years to the day. Spoiled to death.
And probably happier than before, too.
Good job

The321
July 26th, 2013, 8:33 PM
Thank You rick for saving the dogs who can't help themselves.
Bless you

Rick
July 26th, 2013, 8:42 PM
Honestly, since I was about 6 years old, when they had to put my dog down, I have never been attached to an animal. That is, until I found this little critter. How someone could just dump her, in the middle of summer, to die on West Fort Hood, is beyond me. She hardly barks, is absolutely no trouble at all.

Every time I look at her, I smile. She does ME a world of good.

Night Owl
July 26th, 2013, 8:44 PM
And she looks much happier. Yeppers she is a heart stealer.

siamcat
July 26th, 2013, 9:06 PM
How anybody can abandon a dog or cat is beyond me. I wish I could adopt all the critters that regularly show up but I can't. We feed the birds, always have water out for the dogs and cats wandering around and either call or take them home when we can or the shelter when we don't know where to take them. Pets are not disposable toys, there living sentient beings and can give you almost as much joy as your kids do.
I think somebody let go some rabbits in our area, because they've been showing up in our yard more and more. They're cute and not that shy. They seem to have found a way to survive and multiply.

mac
July 26th, 2013, 9:15 PM
i'm with siam on this one rick. thanx a bunch for savin' the dog.

now then, siam, 'bout them rabbits.....what do you estimate the range to be? (just jokin..kind of)....mac

How anybody can abandon a dog or cat is beyond me. I wish I could adopt all the critters that regularly show up but I can't. We feed the birds, always have water out for the dogs and cats wandering around and either call or take them home when we can or the shelter when we don't know where to take them. Pets are not disposable toys, there living sentient beings and can give you almost as much joy as your kids do.
I think somebody let go some rabbits in our area, because they've been showing up in our yard more and more. They're cute and not that shy. They seem to have found a way to survive and multiply.

siamcat
July 26th, 2013, 9:25 PM
i'm with siam on this one rick. thanx a bunch for savin' the dog.

now then, siam, 'bout them rabbits.....what do you estimate the range to be? (just jokin..kind of)....mac

Lol, they're to skinny to shoot and eat if that's what you're asking.

CenTexDave
July 27th, 2013, 2:52 PM
The cats you feed will appreciate it. :)

joyohjoy
August 2nd, 2013, 12:54 PM
Had two pit bulls running loose today. Called Animal Control and they still haven't been by as far as I can tell. The dogs are still running around. I had to give one water and food. The other seems to have vanished. Both have open sores and maybe mange. The black one looks like it has been fed, the tan one is rather thin, she is the one I fed. Both are friendly and without collars. I hope they get picked up before they die of a heat stroke. Would take them in the house but I have four dogs and not knowing what skin condition they have I can't chance it.

CenTexDave
August 2nd, 2013, 1:20 PM
Animal Control is like Code Enforcement - both about worthless.

Rick
May 25th, 2021, 7:48 PM
Today was the day that we have been dreading. Her health had gotten really bad. She was almost totally blind. Legs real stiff. She was having seizures where she would collapse and howl in pain. The vet said it was probably her heart giving out so we decided that it as time to end her suffering. Almost 11 years after I found her.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210526/2a4fd8b246a8a11bfd2e28b03307e847.jpg

xzochye
May 25th, 2021, 7:58 PM
Sorry for your loss but so grateful she had love and comfort all these years!

Night Owl
May 25th, 2021, 11:29 PM
Losing a dog is tough and you will never forget them. Your pup was lucky since she found a real home with you and knew she was loved.

fchafey
May 26th, 2021, 8:21 AM
Losing your dog sucks. Sorry for your loss. At least you will smile when you think of her.

sojourner truth
May 26th, 2021, 9:03 AM
Rick... So sorry to hear you lost your fur baby. Ours is getting pretty long in the tooth as well. My wife and I will miss her dearly when she is gone.

I suppose the hardest part is filling in those special times when you spend time with your pup. I was sitting on the porch yesterday while ours was getting a wash and toenail trim and thinking about how so many small moments of time she fills in our lives.

At any rate... Our condolences go out to you. ST

txswimmer
May 26th, 2021, 10:13 AM
So sorry for your loss, and grateful thatyou were able to give her a long and happy life.

mac
May 26th, 2021, 3:32 PM
So sorry for your loss, and grateful thatyou were able to give her a long and happy life.

we had to have our litttle jack russell put down the other day......lady vet came in, talked to the dog on the couch for a while, gave him the shot, came out and talked to me on the back porch for a while, went back to the couch picked up the dog, wheeled him out to her van on a gurney and took him away. Dog died very very peacefully.......we should all be so lucky......mac (wish I could remember the name of the organization that did this for me, one of my neighbors wants to do his the same way.....mac

Ludwig
May 26th, 2021, 3:38 PM
I'm sorry for your loss, Rick.

We found this little guy strutting down the middle of the street. Fearing for his life, we picked him up and tried to find the owner. After casing the neighborhood where we found him, posting notices on every pole we could find, and placing an advert in the paper, we decided to keep him. The vet that chipped and clipped him told us that he was at least 8 years old. He was blind with cataracts, deaf, and had but one tooth in his mouth. We have had him now for four years. Given the quality of his life, I have often thought him better off if we had him put down but I cannot bear the thought of not having him with us any longer. I guess I'm selfish but I have convinced myself that even his bad life is bearable because he knows that he's loved.

Grasshopperglock
May 26th, 2021, 4:36 PM
As a dog owner, I can relate, Mr Rick. Feel good the little guy lived a long life by your hands and heart. Blessings.

The other day, one of my dogs was in the yard of the empty house next door. About 15ish yards from me. I was standing next to my house. Visible from the east. Invisible from the west.

As I'm watching my dog. A four door, silver, Infinity with a black woman, whose head was hanging out the passenger window. Stops just past the yard. My dog was in. They were driving east and the occupants couldn't see me.

She begins to open the door. I then start calling my dog. The driver yells something that sounded like, "No...garble". Loud enough to scare the dog to where he switches to high gear towards me. Before the scare he was walking.

The car takes off as soon as I yelled.

Have you ever seen the lost dog notices on telephone poles and at the gas station? Usually a small adult dog or puppy?

They're not lost. They were stolen. For what purpose, I don't know. But I'm sure it's not because someone wanted to steal a pet to have a pet.

Rick
May 26th, 2021, 4:46 PM
we had to have our litttle jack russell put down the other day......lady vet came in, talked to the dog on the couch for a while, gave him the shot, came out and talked to me on the back porch for a while, went back to the couch picked up the dog, wheeled him out to her van on a gurney and took him away. Dog died very very peacefully.......we should all be so lucky......mac (wish I could remember the name of the organization that did this for me, one of my neighbors wants to do his the same way.....macOur vet, who boards her horse with us, came to the house yesterday to take care of her here also.

She gave us a discount on the house call, so we sent some Nothing Bundt cake treats to the clinic today to say thank you.

xzochye
May 26th, 2021, 7:33 PM
we had to have our litttle jack russell put down the other day......lady vet came in, talked to the dog on the couch for a while, gave him the shot, came out and talked to me on the back porch for a while, went back to the couch picked up the dog, wheeled him out to her van on a gurney and took him away. Dog died very very peacefully.......we should all be so lucky......mac (wish I could remember the name of the organization that did this for me, one of my neighbors wants to do his the same way.....mac

Sounds like Paws in Paradise.

mac
May 27th, 2021, 11:24 AM
yes sir! Wow, that's exactly who they are...........thanx a bunch.

I would've never believed how kind, caring, understanding and professional these folks were if I hadn't went through the process my self. I was told ahead of time how good they were but they far exceeded my expectations...........mac

txswimmer
May 27th, 2021, 11:34 AM

So sorry for your loss, mac.

mac
May 27th, 2021, 4:48 PM
So sorry for your loss, mac.

Why.....thank you, Swimmer.....it was a while ago......hells bells, we can still hear him behind us on our floor when we walk from the bed rooms to the kitchen...........not really but it sure sounds like it!....mac

txswimmer
May 28th, 2021, 8:53 AM
There are times when I think of the dog I was born with - a German Shepherd my Dad rescued when stationed in Berchtesgarden after the war. This dog was a true guardian, and never let anyone in the yard without our permission. When kids would try and leave, he would shepherd them back into the yard until we told him it was okay. He was never on a leash, nor was he tied out. Unlike most of his breed, however, he wasn't a wanderer. He would sit in the front seat of the car, and eat an ice cream cone holding it in his front paws. People loved to watch that. I was 6 when he died, and I thought I was going to die.

I have a lot more trust in dogs than humans.

sojourner truth
May 28th, 2021, 12:55 PM
I had one like that when I was a kid... My dad found her (Queenie) with her head stuck in a fence at the Gerbers baby food plant where he worked and bought her home that night. She was never on a leash, and was "free range" at all times. She died of cancer when I was about 12 years old and I have never found another like her.

Want her to come home? Just whistle and she was there within 5 minutes.. Or sit down to eat.

TriciaH
May 31st, 2021, 8:52 PM
Rick so sorry for your loss. They do leave their paw prints in your heart forever. I wish our dogs could live as long as we do.

TriciaH
May 31st, 2021, 8:53 PM
Mac - I am sorry for your loss! So hard to let our fur kids go. The more I know people, the more I like my dogs.

mac
June 1st, 2021, 12:29 PM
Mac - I am sorry for your loss! So hard to let our fur kids go. The more I know people, the more I like my dogs.

'ppreciate it, Pat, and I find my self in close agreement with your 'likes'...mac

sojourner truth
June 19th, 2021, 4:09 PM
I see that the first pooch has passed away. Sad.... But at least he won't have to stay in the basement any more.:crying

sojourner truth
August 13th, 2021, 8:38 PM
Speaking of dumped dogs... I wonder what Cuomo will do next?:))

Ludwig
August 14th, 2021, 8:48 AM
Speaking of dumped dogs... I wonder what Cuomo will do next?:))

This thread is about dogs, not pigs. Let's keep it that way.

But, speaking of pigs, I understand that Fauci is also responsible for the killing of 20 Beagles for experimentation that has little if anything to do with advancing the cause of humanity.

Now, back to the doggies.

shawnricheson
August 14th, 2021, 11:31 AM
I was thinking of getting an emotional support alligator and
testing the BS limits at Walmart.

Grasshopperglock
August 14th, 2021, 12:15 PM

You're a vagina unless you do that. I triple dog dare you to dress in pink. With a pink bow on the alligator. Keep calling the thing, "Cuddles".

If anyone says a thing. Yell as loud as you can, " It's Ma'am you MF'ers ".

Ludwig
August 14th, 2021, 12:24 PM
Or you could bring an Old English Mastiff.

Rick
August 14th, 2021, 12:27 PM
Just get an "Emotional Support Alligator" collar for it and no one can mess with you.

sojourner truth
August 14th, 2021, 12:46 PM
Besides, it's Wal mart. Who will notice?:)

Grasshopperglock
August 14th, 2021, 2:18 PM
Besides, it's Wal mart. Who will notice?:)

I will. I once was in the pet food section as two attractive women walked by. Both were wearing house clothes. Sweat pants, t-shirt.

Beautiful women except for the cat poop smell. It wasn't a light aroma either. It was as if you stuck your face up to a litter box and took a big sniff. These women were incredibly nasty. Pretty but disgusting, Wal-Mart specials.

fchafey
August 16th, 2021, 9:03 AM
We got a Boxer pup from the Killeen Animal Shelter on July 1st. Named her Daphne Grace, it has been a month and two dogs in the house once again are great. The cycle begins again, oh well.

Ludwig
August 16th, 2021, 6:50 PM
We got a Boxer pup from the Killeen Animal Shelter on July 1st. Named her Daphne Grace, it has been a month and two dogs in the house once again are great. The cycle begins again, oh well.A real puppy or a grown dog? If it was a puppy, do they have more?

fchafey
August 17th, 2021, 8:25 AM
A real puppy or a grown dog? If it was a puppy, do they have more?

No, they only had the one and the wife was very cautious about getting a second dog. The vet said she was around 10 months old, but I think she is a tad younger, still very much a puppy behavior, well that or she was kept outside chained of kenneled. I called Animal Control and asked the lady to define 4 days, does it start when it arrives, the next day, is 4 complete days then the 5th day its available etc. The wife got their before they opened and we got her. The only thing we know is she was found in the Clear Creek area. She had hookworms, but that has been treated, she is now chipped, spayed and is part of our family. A bit hyper, but her and Penny get along just fine.

Ludwig
August 17th, 2021, 9:01 AM
I have always had an affinity for Boxers and Rottweilers... I have no idea why. Perhaps its because they look so much like me, because our flatulence is equal.

The321
December 11th, 2022, 4:42 PM
Found one of mine on Paddy Hamilton Rd about 7 years ago. She is still with me

sojourner truth
December 11th, 2022, 7:56 PM
Yep. We used to get a lot of strays that were dumped out behind the new airport. That road was a popular dumping ground for animals, trash, and we could always tell when it was PCS time for the Army.

The321
December 17th, 2022, 6:32 PM
These people do amazing work to save the unwanted.

https://www.facebook.com/healingheartrehab/

sojourner truth
December 18th, 2022, 11:57 AM
We used to have a kennel at the new airport that was supposed to be used by the PD for working police dogs, but they never had one they put in there. We would sometimes keep strays in there and feed them from time to time.

It beat the alternative. The dogs would usually go home with someone. <ot sure if that was doing them a favor or not, but it seemed right at the time.