PDA

View Full Version : Dog psychology needed

Puck
July 9th, 2010, 8:39 PM
I have two dogs getting on in years. Dog #1 "D" is a 14 year old female lab/dachshund. Dad was the dachshund. (Don't ask; I don't know and don't want to try to imagine) She is a hideously ugly dog with an Amazon Warrior Alpha female attitude, and even though she has trouble getting around, she still has "I'm the boss attitude."

Dog #2 "P" is a 13 year old male Papillion mix, heavy on the Papillion. (Not sure I spelled that right). I rescued him when he was about a year old, and being an exuberant boy, he had fun marking territory all over my house. The vet did a nifty procedure which was supposed to, and did, curtail that habit for a number of years.

But "P" has recently started doing exactly that again. I've never had a boy dog or dogs that reached advanced years (sadly all our boxers died before 8 of cancer of one type or another). My question is:

Has "P" started doing that simply because he's old or because "D" isn't quite the terror she was and he's exerting his authority? More importantly, how can I get him to stop. I've thrown away or rolled up all the carpets and got rid of his favorite chair to mark. Would appreciate any reasonable advice and will tolerate any kind of laughter.

Wireman
July 9th, 2010, 10:08 PM
As dogs get older they can experience bladder problems just like people. 13 is old. Try letting him out much more frequently and see if that curtails his new habit.

Iteachtoo
July 10th, 2010, 12:12 AM
During the last year of our 21 year old Siamese cat's life, he went around spraying everywhere, something he had NEVER done in all the time we had him. It was kinda like he wanted to make sure he was remembered after he was gone.

SamBrown
July 10th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Doggie diapers will help with it. You said he is fixed, right? It really might just be a much weaker bladder. Our Golden Retriever had accidents his last year; it was not "territory marking" at all.

Puck
July 10th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks, ITeachToo, for the fun thought. I'll be less annoyed if I can think of this as "Remember me when I'm gone,Mommy." He really is a fun dog.

And SamBrown, I've never heard of doggie diapers; I'll definitely look into those for our older dachshund; I'm guessing PetSmart? I'm not convinced that weak bladder is P's problems. Some days no accidents; some days puddles, puddles everywhere, but always in his favorite places. Did your Retriever choose places or just spray wherever?

SamBrown
July 10th, 2010, 10:50 PM
He just randomly "lost" it. No particular place. For the doggie diapers check with the local pet stores or online.

gray haired granny
July 11th, 2010, 5:33 AM
My 13 yr old male cat has been neutered and is also doing this.

I buy a spray at PetCo called, "Keep Off", It is a good deterant for awhile.