PDA

View Full Version : Over use of Air Conditioning

Mestral
July 4th, 2010, 7:46 AM
On the flip side of frugal:

I have been seeing a lot of windows misting over, or even sweating, in the morning humidity. If they are sweating, there is a good chance your walls are also - on the inside, where no one can see it. And next will be mold growing in the walls. This humidity is going to go on for at least another week (probably for another month).

I have looked, and cannot find a good "10 pint" sized dehumidifier. They seem to start at 25 pints. (Not interested in those "mini" or "micro" fractional pint dehumidifiers) This would be a good alternative to running the AC in the morning.

Those of you who are frugal enough to open your windows in the mornings can somewhat ignore this thread, although I wonder if that causes problems of its own. I remember in Mississippi, we had a constant mold problem. But back in those days (the 70's) we just bleached the heck out of everything that we found it growing on, and hoped for the best.

ithoughtso
July 22nd, 2010, 10:48 AM
When I was a kid, water coolers (swamp coolers) were the choice for most folks. My dad always said A/C was for rich folks.

Texas Immigrant
July 22nd, 2010, 3:07 PM
I'm from Washington State, never have liked Texas summers. Never will. I know our electric bill will be ridiculous in the summer, but in the winter it's great! I keep it a constant 76. I can't bear to go any higher than that. In the winter, I let it get down to about 64 before I turn on the heat.

Mestral
July 22nd, 2010, 3:46 PM
Swamp coolers won't really work around here. I have seen a few around town, but mostly starting about 50 miles west of here. Here and east of here there is just too much humidity.

I am from the People's Republic of IL. Similar thoughts about the Texas Summer, but I have been here for over 20 years, and getting used to it. (Having an outdoor job helps me - no, strike that - forces me, to get used to the heat. Still working on getting used to the humidity though.