PDA

View Full Version : Fostering a Horse

Rick
June 30th, 2010, 9:18 PM
We just got back from picking up a horse that my wife agreed to foster. I guess she was neglected, not well fed, but is coming along nicely. I think she is four years old.

She is very gentle. I don't think she has ever been ridden. She leads well and loaded in the trailer easier than the trained ones ever have.

My wife said that the adoption fee for her is only $100.

She will be in paradise out here, that's for sure.

More pictures in better light tomorrow. Plus, you'll be able to see her in this image from the webcam. Just refresh the page. A new picture uploads every minute during the day.
http://www.hiddenarrowstables.com/hiddenarrow.jpg

Rick
July 1st, 2010, 9:36 AM
She is adapting well. Living large with all that fresh grass.

Texas Immigrant
July 1st, 2010, 9:47 AM
I'd love to have a horse, one of these days. She's pretty.

Rotti_mama
July 1st, 2010, 4:48 PM
I bet she has a ball. ( the Horse)
Very nice, and so peaceful.:thumbsup

TexMexYum
July 1st, 2010, 8:58 PM
Thank you (and your wife) for caring so much! I am such a sucker for animals. What a beautiful area you have - I know your cute little foster horse is a lucky duck. :)

Rick
July 1st, 2010, 10:33 PM
The people we got her from http://www.bluebonnetequine.org/ do the hard work. They went to Arkansas, rescued 14 (I think), then they arranged foster homes, then they had to arrange when to meet and transfer all of the horses.

We get to enjoy her at the small cost of feeding her.

I just could not believe how she was when they put her in the trailer. She turned around and seemed to be asking, "Ok, what do you want me to do next?" How could anyone mistreat an animal like that?

Oh and, her name is Cricket.

THEMEANOGRE
July 2nd, 2010, 4:09 AM
This sounds like a serious get over way to own a horse without owning a horse.
You only provide the property to keep the animal and feed them. The rescue agency provides for vet care(?), and as long as you provide those things and horse is healthy, you own a horse. Ya just can't sell.
Or, is there a time limit on how long you get to keep any one animal.

Rick
July 2nd, 2010, 7:56 AM
It is serious, but I wouldn't exactly call it a "get over". She requires food twice a day, every day rain or shine. Which just adds another "anchor" (I stole that term from the good Dr. Buckley) that ensures that we don't get away from the home front, together, for very long. Due to having horses, the last weekend that we got away together was in February 2009, when our kids still lived here.

A lot of rescue horses are in very bad shape and require a lot of attention. When a normally healthy horse gets sick, it requires constant attention.

So I don't think the commitment and responsibility is a get over. Not to mention, the stall she is using could be contracted to someone for $300 per month.

AND NO, I AM NOT COMPLAINING, WE VOLUNTEERED FOR THIS KNOWING ALL OF THE ABOVE!!! I am just commenting on the "get over" comment.

To my knowledge, there is no time limit. I'm no expert, but I would guess that moving a herd animal around a lot puts too much stress on them since they would have to constantly establish their role in the herd.

Texas Immigrant
July 2nd, 2010, 9:23 AM
If you want to get away for a weekend or a few days during the week this summer, I volunteer to feed her and any other horses you have. I LOVE horses, love their smell, love the feel of them, and love to watch them, I just can't afford one. PM me if you want a horseysitter!

THEMEANOGRE
July 2nd, 2010, 11:03 AM
Ok, Get over was a bad choice of words. Perhaps inexpensive, if the agency is providing the medical materials and expertise, would've been a better choice.

Rick
July 2nd, 2010, 11:24 AM
Ok, Get over was a bad choice of words. Perhaps inexpensive, if the agency is providing the medical materials and expertise, would've been a better choice.
Gotcha!!!

TI, you can come out on the weekends and hang around them any time you want. My wife would like the company. She gets tired of me being the only one to talk to ...haha

Unicorn
July 2nd, 2010, 9:13 PM
This sounds like a serious get over way to own a horse without owning a horse.
You only provide the property to keep the animal and feed them. The rescue agency provides for vet care(?), and as long as you provide those things and horse is healthy, you own a horse. Ya just can't sell.
Or, is there a time limit on how long you get to keep any one animal.

I don't feel I have to justify what I do so just fyi. I tried to rescue two horses on my own. I drained my savings. One did not survive. She died in the Equine Hospital. The other one made it. It took him 6 months to let me touch his head because he was severly beaten. Then I found the horse rescue and I realized when people pull together and every body helps a little bit great things can be accomplished. If the people who actually own the horses would take care of them the horses would not need our help. I have loved horses all my life and it breaks my heart to those beautiful animals suffer. I am thankful that my husband is still here after all I put him through and supporting what I do.

Iteachtoo
July 2nd, 2010, 11:19 PM
If you want to get away for a weekend or a few days during the week this summer, I volunteer to feed her and any other horses you have. I LOVE horses, love their smell, love the feel of them, and love to watch them, I just can't afford one. PM me if you want a horseysitter!

So do I , I would be glad to help out. I had a horse until I went to college, many, many, many years ago, but there are some things you just do not forget!!! Horses were my first love, come to think of it, should have stuck with them.:)
Just let me know if you ever need help, I would be there in a New York minute!!

Rick
July 2nd, 2010, 11:27 PM
You guys are so nice to offer. Just might have to take advantage of this.

Rick
October 16th, 2010, 3:50 PM
Just an update, as of today, Cricket has been adopted...by guess who?

The rescue wanted to pick her up and bring her to the Expo in Austin, wife told them to save the gas and we came down today to complete the paperwork.

Deb
October 16th, 2010, 4:05 PM
Congratulations, Rick! I know you lost the one horse last spring, I think it was, after having it just a few months. She's a beautiful horse, and probably be spoiled rotten at your place compared to where she came from. And $100 is cheap for a horse adoption compared to what I've seen them listed in the paper and on the internet for.

Texas Immigrant
October 16th, 2010, 6:37 PM
Yay!! Congratulations!!

Iteachtoo
October 16th, 2010, 10:57 PM
I am very happy for the horse, she finally found a real family!!

Rick
October 16th, 2010, 11:26 PM
And $100 is cheap for a horse adoption compared to what I've seen them listed in the paper and on the internet for.
All adoptions that took place today, the day of the Expo, were half price.

This Mustang (http://www.bluebonnetequine.org/horses/NevadaSage.htm) could have been had for $150. During the parade of horses, they said that she was broke to ride. Those pictures do not do her justice. She is beautiful.

Some of the stories about the rescues were heart breaking. One had to be taken to the vet to have its halter surgically removed because it had grown into the poor thing's head. Another had been tied to a tree for three years.

Why?

Deb
October 17th, 2010, 2:11 PM
The adoption fees are still cheap considering I've seen horses advertised for a minimum of $1000 and up. I don't know why people adopt animals if they are going to abuse or neglect them.